opinion please: Budapest to Nuremburg, or N to B?

May B

Does anyone have a strong opinion on which direction might be better? It's a ten-day on Viking.

Thx.

Are you extending on either end??

Are you booking air with Viking - or doing on your own??

We have extended in both Budapest and Nuremberg. More to see in Budapest IMHO - but did enjoy the extra couple of days in Nuremberg when we were there last. We hired a private guide...

In Budapest, the boat docks within walking distance of many things. So, if you arrive early enough in the day you can still get out and see some of the sights. In Nuremberg - you are quite a way out from the centre of town.

If you are doing your own air, transfers are easy to arrange in Budapest. I can give you the name of a private transfer we have used a few times. We took a cab from our hotel in Nuremberg to the airport.

Does this help??

Fran

How much time will you have in Nuremberg?

How much time will you have in Budapest?

The Scenic cruise I was on began in Budapest and the ship was docked there two nights. We were scheduled to depart the ship the morning we arrived in Nuremberg.

Going from Nuremberg to Budapest, the opposite was the case: more time in Nuremberg and less than Budapest.

We chose to be begin in Budapest which far more interesting to us than Nuremberg. We also arrived a day early in Budapest so we had time to explore on our own.

Very happy with our decision since Budapest is wonderful. We took the hop on hop off bus on own, visit the Hospital in the Rock and St. Matthias Church. Very easy to get around on our own. We did the ship tour that took us to one of the baths which we really enjoyed.

Look at your itinerary carefully and decide which city you want to spend more time in.

Are you extending on either end??

Are you booking air with Viking - or doing on your own??

We have extended in both Budapest and Nuremberg. More to see in Budapest IMHO - but did enjoy the extra couple of days in Nuremberg when we were there last. We hired a private guide...

In Budapest, the boat docks within walking distance of many things. So, if you arrive early enough in the day you can still get out and see some of the sights. In Nuremberg - you are quite a way out from the centre of town.

If you are doing your own air, transfers are easy to arrange in Budapest. I can give you the name of a private transfer we have used a few times. We took a cab from our hotel in Nuremberg to the airport.

Does this help??

Fran

The ten-day trip will be the extent of this vacation, so I think using air from Viking makes sense. Rates are quite good, although who knows if the itinerary will be awful?

Thx for the thoughts.

How much time will you have in Nuremberg?

How much time will you have in Budapest?

The Scenic cruise I was on began in Budapest and the ship was docked there two nights. We were scheduled to depart the ship the morning we arrived in Nuremberg.

Going from Nuremberg to Budapest, the opposite was the case: more time in Nuremberg and less than Budapest.

We chose to be begin in Budapest which far more interesting to us than Nuremberg. We also arrived a day early in Budapest so we had time to explore on our own.

Very happy with our decision since Budapest is wonderful. We took the hop on hop off bus on own, visit the Hospital in the Rock and St. Matthias Church. Very easy to get around on our own. We did the ship tour that took us to one of the baths which we really enjoyed.

Look at your itinerary carefully and decide which city you want to spend more time in.

Thx. Good points.

We've had a private driver pick us up a number times and it can be very worthwhile. Nice to see someone holding a sign with your name on it when you get to the arrivals area.

But taking a taxi from the airport in Budapest is not an issue. You get in line, tell the person at the window where you want to go and get into a licensed taxi. Have the address written on a card or slip of paper to avoid any misunderstanding.

Do not hail a taxi on the street in Budapest since you run the chance of getting ripped off.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on the VIKING LONSHIP TOR and did a 3 day pre cruise extension in Prague. This itinerary goes from Nuremburg to Budapest with optional 3 day pre cruise in Prague

we were wondering the cost of a TAXI from the PRAGUE AIRPORT to the HILTON HOTEL ( which Viking uses in Prague) and ALSO we do not have transfers from ship in Budapest to the airport since we booked our own air. Viking will sell transfers for $60 PP.

Does anyone know of a reliable taxi service that we can pre-book in BUDAPEST to take us to the airport on May 13 to catch our home plane?? and also the cost of the taxi if pre-booked .

Seems extremely expensive of Viking to charge $60 pp transfers...The travel agent I booked with told me it was 30 EUROS ( equal to $30 USD ) for a taxi from Prague airport to the Hilton and the same amount quoted from port in Budapest to the Budapest airport..

If hailing a taxi leads to a rip off, is there a private taxi service that I can hire to pick us up in either city???

PLZ help...and THANKS !!

Andy

We've had a private driver pick us up a number times and it can be very worthwhile. Nice to see someone holding a sign with your name on it when you get to the arrivals area.

But taking a taxi from the airport in Budapest is not an issue. You get in line, tell the person at the window where you want to go and get into a licensed taxi. Have the address written on a card or slip of paper to avoid any misunderstanding.

Do not hail a taxi on the street in Budapest since you run the chance of getting ripped off.

Nancy. I saw ur response on booking a private driver and I would like to book on at the PRAGUE AIRPORT to go to the HILTON and ALSO book a driver from the VIKING LONGSHIP TOR in Budapest from the SHIP to the airport so we don't get ripped off by local taxi drivers.

Help with website or names??

thanks

Andy

The ten-day trip will be the extent of this vacation, so I think using air from Viking makes sense. Rates are quite good, although who knows if the itinerary will be awful?

Thx for the thoughts.

Since you're not doing an extension I don't think it makes much difference which direction you go and the itinerary will be the same in both directions. You'll probably spend 2 nights in Budapest either way and in all probability you won't get non-stop from either city so you'll be changing planes in Frankfurt or Munich anyway. I've done this itinerary on another cruise line....they're all pretty much following the same route and the itinerary will be many things....awful is not one of them!! :D

You can request a quote from Chris at: info@prague-airport-shuttle.com

You can settle on the price in advance so you'll know exactly how much you will be spending.

Prague is easy to get around in by public transport. We used the trams and subway and the funicular up Petrin Hill. Also took a train out to see Konopiste.

BE CERTAIN to have a ticket and to validate at the yellow ticket box. If you don't do this, you run the risk of getting fined.

If you are interested in a local guide, I highly recommended The Naked Tour Guide. English speaking, maximum of 8 people, reasonable price. At the end of our tour with Marcus, we sat down at a café and discussed how to get around Prague, etc. Check the reviews on Trip Advisor.

IMO, never make any assumptions about a cruise itinerary. READ the itinerary carefully to make certain you understand where you are going.

Our cruise began in Budapest. Boarded in the afternoon, ship docked in Budapest, full day of sightseeing in Budapest, ship departed Budapest at the end of Day 2.

Our ship was scheduled to arrive early one morning in Nuremberg and passengers were to disembark. So the regular cruise, without an extension, did not include any sightseeing in Nuremberg.

The itinerary that began in Nuremberg, included sightseeing in Nuremberg but no sightseeing in Budapest unless you took the extension.

Please read the itinerary carefully to avoid disappointment.

Addendum: low or high water can throw a wrench into the itinerary so do some research on how the company handles those situations. Some people have written very negative reviews since they had no idea that they might have to deal with low water.

My question was actually for a friend, not for myself, and after reading the details itineraries (EXCELLENT comment by Nancy Evans, and I heeded it when made here and found an important difference).

I recommended they go Nuremburg to Budapest, b/c that enables them to enjoy the transit through the locks (on the Main, I believe?) with accompanying lecture, in the day time. Other direction does those locks very early a.m., with no lecture.

Then I told THEM to look at the two itineraries carefully. I did find it a tad difficult to find the detailed itineraries, but a call to Viking actually helped with that challenge.

And to Host JazzBeau, for Mr. B. and me it's AmaWaterways until the Crystal river ships are ready. We leave April 2nd for our 2nd Ama, a "tulip" cruise. Hope the tulips are ready for us!

When I flew into Prague, we prebooked a transfer, and we were extremely satisfied. The driver will offer to sell you more tours, but it's no big deal if you aren't interested. Here's the email of the company I used:

info@prague-airport-transfers.co.uk

In Budapest, you might be docked the last night far from downtown and with no taxi availability other than what the ship books for you. We were on an AmaWaterways cruise and one of the disembarkation choices was for them to order a taxi for us. It worked out just fine (although we were going to a hotel rather than to the airport).

You might be happier searching TripAdvisor for a recommendation for pre-booking a transfer. Some taxi drivers don't speak very good English in Budapest. But, again, you may not really know exactly where you'll be docking!

That's so funny to hear you say 30 euros is $30. While the exchange rate for us is the best I think it's ever been, I believe it's around $1.12 for one euro right now. On my first trip to Europe, in 2008, it was $1.60 for a euro! Enjoy the great rates. I do agree that what your cruise is offering per person for transfers is quite outrageously priced.

Heck, enjoy the whole thing. It's a great world out there for those of us fortunate enough to be able to travel in it.

When I flew into Prague, we prebooked a transfer, and we were extremely satisfied. The driver will offer to sell you more tours, but it's no big deal if you aren't interested. Here's the email of the company I used:

info@prague-airport-transfers.co.uk

We also used this company - and were very pleased. We pre-booked, and it was nice to have someone waiting for us when we exited the arrivals area.

In Budapest, we have used Alajos Pulai a few times. We have also recommended him to friends - and they were pleased. We found his rates quite reasonable.

http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html

If he is unable to meet you (and, he will wait if your plane is late) his wife, or a colleague will do the transfer.

We used Viking's transfer on arrival in Beijing last October - but otherwise arrange our own transfers unless they are included as part of the package (ie: as with Emerald Waterways, Scenic, Uniworld) even if we book our own air.

Fran

In Budapest, we have used Alajos Pulai a few times. We have also recommended him to friends - and they were pleased. We found his rates quite reasonable.

http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html

If he is unable to meet you (and, he will wait if your plane is late) his wife, or a colleague will do the transfer.

I used him as well and have recommended him to others with great feedback.