Champagne splits

tigresslea

Your ability to take on board the mini's will depend on who is screening you. I see you are sailing out of Galveston, my home port, which has a reputation for being very strict. When anyone asks about these type things I always ask what is your plan B? Are you willing to discard? Return to vehicle ?

I totally understand your logic. Bubbly isn't like wine that would last a few days. Once open, that is it. I just wouldn't want you to have to discard it. Also please know if you pack in your checked luggage and it is found they no longer hold it for you to the end of the cruise. It will be discarded without compensation. That rule changed last summer with water gate.

I totally understand your logic. Bubbly isn't like wine that would last a few days.

Me too. I'd go with plan B. Cargo shorts (DH) or packed in your carry-on inside ziplocked bags....or both. That may not be popular suggestion but I'd also buy a bottle of something online from the Funshops prior to the cruise to cover all my bases.

Edited by fuddrules

You can buy a special bottle topper for the bubbly. I take a bottle every time I cruise and bring my topper. If you live near a Spec's or World Market they both sell them. It takes me several days to finish the bottle but it stays bubbly for 3-4 day with the topper.

Edited by GalFitness19

You can buy a special bottle topper for the bubbly. I do it every time I cruise. If you live near a Spec's or World Market they both sell them. It takes me several days to finish the bottle but it stays bubbly for 3-4 days.

I guess that would work too but it would take me 4 days to finish and I don't always want one every day.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to take my chances. I don't drink wine and an not much of a drinker otherwise. Don't think this would be breaking the rules since it will end up being the same amount as a bottle.

When going through security try and get in a line with a male and not an older lady. The women, particularly older, are more of the rule sticklers and are often not kind to other women.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to take my chances. I don't drink wine and an not much of a drinker otherwise. Don't think this would be breaking the rules since it will end up being the same amount as a bottle.

I completely understand your logic here. Completely. 100%. But, more than 1 bottle per passenger, regardless of size, is "breaking" the rule. Rule says you get "one" bottle. Some dude manning the screening table says "rule says one bottle" would be right. Logic is not always persuasive.

To paraphrase a saying, It's the difference between the "spirit of the rule" and the "letter of the rule."

You might be better served by looking into a vacuum sealer/stopper system rather than counting on screeners using logic.

I completely understand your logic here. Completely. 100%. But, more than 1 bottle per passenger, regardless of size, is "breaking" the rule. Rule says you get "one" bottle. Some dude manning the screening table says "rule says one bottle" would be right. Logic is not always persuasive.

To paraphrase a saying, It's the difference between the "spirit of the rule" and the "letter of the rule."

You might be better served by looking into a vacuum sealer/stopper system rather than counting on screeners using logic.

Yea, you're right. The stuff I drink is cheap enough it wouldn't hurt too much to have 3 of 4 bottles taken away.

Soooo, with that logic...we *should* be able to bring 1 - 1.5 Litre "bottle" of wine on board, right? Nope, it actually says, 1 - 750 mL bottle of wine per passenger. So to the original poster, I agree with 'springs741', who said, "depends on who's screening"...if they decide it is ONE bottle and not the 750mL total, then you'll be out of luck.

The rule is one bottle up to 750 ml in size. You can't combine bottles to reach a total of 750ml. Be prepared to lose all of them except for one per person over 21.

Soooo, with that logic...we *should* be able to bring 1 - 1.5 Litre "bottle" of wine on board, right? Nope, it actually says, 1 - 750 mL bottle of wine per passenger. So to the original poster, I agree with 'springs741', who said, "depends on who's screening"...if they decide it is ONE bottle and not the 750mL total, then you'll be out of luck.

No....the rule says 1 bottle of 750ml, so your comparison is not accurate. Now, if you wanted to say we should be able to bring 1 -1.5 liter bottle for TWO passengers, the comparison would be warranted. And my thought would be the same. It's against the letter of the rule, even though the SPIRIT of the rule is 750 ml per over 21 passenger. And,just like the splits issue, If the screener says "nope," he would be correct.

I think we are agreeing, though, that the splits would be against the rule, but COULD slide by. But, there should be no surprise if they don't let them by.

If you only drink the occasional glass you might consider just ordering one onboard. If you think the champagne is too expensive try a nice white wine spritzer.

Need some prices...just type in "Carnival drink prices" on your search engine.

Nah, I'll pass. Like I said, I really don't drink so I can't justify spending more on a glass on the ship than I would pay for a bottle on land. If they confiscate it, I will be annoyed but understand and I swear I won't come back here and vow never to sail Carnival again!

My mom and I have brought on the 4-pack of small wine bottles several times with no problems. I guess we had screeners who believed in the "spirit of the law" as mentioned above. We've done it out of Charleston and Port Canaveral. I say give it a try.

Great! Maybe I'll have the same luck as you. :)

I swear I won't come back here and vow never to sail Carnival again!

HA!:D

Come back and let us know how it goes if you try to take the 4 mini-bottles. Today, I was just thinking about whether I could do that on my upcoming cruise on the Imagination. We won't have a refrigerator in our inside cabin, but I thought I could chill a mini-bottle each evening in the ice bucket for my morning mimosa.

HA!:D

Come back and let us know how it goes if you try to take the 4 mini-bottles. Today, I was just thinking about whether I could do that on my upcoming cruise on the Imagination. We won't have a refrigerator in our inside cabin, but I thought I could chill a mini-bottle each evening in the ice bucket for my morning mimosa.

Mmm mimosas... great idea. I'm not cruising until August but I will come back and let you know if there was a problem!

Mmm mimosas... great idea. I'm not cruising until August but I will come back and let you know if there was a problem!

Thanks! It looks like you will be back about a week before we sail in August, so I'll check here before we go and see if you were successful.

• 7 months later...

Even flat champagne makes a decent mimosa so if your big bottle goes flat you could still drink it. Might even add something carbonated to the "flat" mimosa like Sprite which you can bring on board in cans. If you ask your room steward he'll bring you a bigger plastic ice container to chill a larger bottle and he'll keep it filled every day.