Scenic apirit mekong

willtup5

With respect, I think you may just have picked the wrong cruise.

Our itinerary with Viking was similarly filled with excursions and activities, but we booked knowing that and booked it because we wanted to see as much of the places we visited as possible.

If we were looking for lazy afternoons drifting down the river we would have booked a cruise that offered that.

The cruises in Vietnam/Cambodia, China and places like this are more active than a typical river cruise and do not spent the whole time on the river either, but this should be no surprise based on the advance information all the cruise lines provide.

Also it is always worth remembering that even though there may be a planned and included activity, you are usually free to decline and relax onboard during the cruise portion of the trip.

Even on the land portion, you can often just stay in the hotel if you need more time to unwind.

If you view these trips as an active holiday though with plenty to do every day then you'll be richly rewarded with sight and experiences, if you really wanted a relaxing trip with plenty of free time then it is probably better to consider the cruises in Europe which aim to provide that experience.

Maybe we did pick the wrong itinerary, we did a land portion of 10 days before the cruise and saw a huge amount of Vietnam and Cambodia, so by the time we got to the cruise portion I would have been happy for a bit of cruising and seeing the sights from there with just a few excursions thrown in. When we got to Siagon, we had 3 days there sightseeing, so I considered we had a very active holiday.

A few posts ago I was asked for my experience and that is how I saw it.

I have done a cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and enjoyed it.

I think we will probably stick to ocean cruises from now on.

Cheers:)

I read a very interesting article in February in Musings from Colin's World which is put out by Tauck. It discussed the origins of river cruising, and contrasted it with ocean cruising. This is what it said:

"River cruises are the brainchild of tour operators. They have been designed and developed by tour operators, and are an offshoot of touring, not ocean cruising. They are destination-focused, cultural tours that use riverboats for transportation and accommodation."

It goes on to state:

"From a tour operator’s point of view, although the riverboats are wonderful places to spend your time, it is touring the destinations where the service reaches its apex. On a river cruise, as on a land tour, the focus of the program is on seeing, experiencing and learning about the destination."

If the destination isn't what interests you particularly, then I don't think that river cruising is for you. That isn't a criticism. It just means that what you want from a cruise and what I want from a cruise aren't the same thing.

Group meals on very long tables, usually about 20 or 30 people long, and a set menu didn't suit us either.

Curious about the land portion meals and what the set menu was serving? Was it local food or western fair? And how were the hotels?

Curious about the land portion meals and what the set menu was serving? Was it local food or western fair? And how were the hotels?

The restaurants were all serving local food and I love Vietnamese food, the only part that we didn't really enjoy was the way all the tables were set in long lines of about twenty people, and a set menu.

The hotels were excellent, some of the best we have ever stayed in.

Cheers:)

I have posted a review of the Scenic Spirit. Please let me know if you have any questions. We respectfully viewed the trip differently than Brisbanelionsfan and had a wonderful time. We were lucky to have bonded with our group of 20 (despite being the only Americans :)) and therefore enjoyed the group meals. If you are looking for happy times everyday, this is not the region for you. The horrors of the Pol Pot regime and the Vietnam War were indeed very troubling and sad. Similar to other destinations it is helpful to do advance reading to prepare yourself. No one forces you to go on every excursion and you can stay on the ship and relax if you wish. Ours was a 17 day trip that included Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. We were exhausted at the end, but overall one of the best trips we have ever had. Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

;)Just want to say we have just come back from this trip and it was one of the most amazing holidays ever. The passengers on board, mostly Australians, a few British and an American couple were all great company and we made many friends.

The cabins are excellent and very roomy, food is great on all counts land and boat. Ship staff and excursion leaders are just fantastic, friendly, knowledgable, fun and very customer focussed.

If you find some trips too hectic, nobody minds if you stay on ship or back at the hotel. Read a book, have a massage, sleep on the sun deck or just watch the river life.

We have seen and done some amazing things with great people and it is a wonderful feeling knowing it is all included.

If you are considering this trip, I would say book it. You will be so pleased you did.

• 2 weeks later...