All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Even though I have a picture in this dress from a prior cruise, we both liked this one the best from this trip. It was toward the end of the cruise, and we were both relaxed and happy. IslandFormal2sm.JPG.0cc9c0826ed4c7e90a6d84bcf2ff24e0.JPG

Edited by MJC
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MJC said:

Even though I have a picture in this dress from a prior cruise, we both liked this one the best from this trip. It was toward the end of the cruise, and we were both relaxed and happy. IslandFormal2sm.JPG.0cc9c0826ed4c7e90a6d84bcf2ff24e0.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous!  I have a very similar top (mine isn’t a dress)

The first time we saw that background, earlier in the cruise, I said to Mark that I would never pick that for a photo, it's too fussy, lol. But look at our skin! So nice.

I'll talk a bit about packing and weather. Anita's list for Fairbanks was a great starting point for us. There was a also a great packing list posted on the roll call for last year's Northern Lights cruise. We had four days in London where it was in the 70s, with one slightly rainy day. Southampton was about the same but windier. Then we dropped to mid to high 40's for our first port and stayed in that range during the days, and it was usually windy. Our night excursion in Alta it was 25-30ish but felt like 10-15 because we were always up high when we were outside. We were also looking for the Northern Lights on the top deck of the ship some nights until 1-2am, with the wind blowing, which was very cold. Sometimes we were outside viewing the beautiful snow-covered mountains. Chilly. The ship had lots of open space up on deck since the Island Princess was designed for the Panama Canal, and that was great when everyone was up top looking for the NL. It also has many wonderful inside viewing areas full of windows. If you were near the windows a lot like we were, it could be chilly. On tender days with the gangway open all day, the ship could be quite cold in the public spaces and also the decks adjacent to them. Our cabin was aft and not too high, which we were happy with because of the covered balcony, which allowed us to hop outside and take pictures even if it was rainy. The temperature in our cabin adjusted very quickly, but we could feel it get colder the closer we were to the glass balcony doors (which was the couch side of the room, thankfully not the bed side).

So. As a person who hates being cold, I took more outerwear choices than I ever have before, I think, since we were outdoors a lot on this trip, even in London. And I wore them all, multiple times, even sometimes indoors. I took a parka, packable down jacket with hood, packable down vest, a rain shell, and a fleece. All got lots of use. The lightweight down vest was very handy indoors in the mornings when it was cool, as was the fleece. I needed the rain jacket and umbrella one day in London.

My daywear was organized around 2 pairs of Skechers Go Walk pants, with black and navy blue/tan as my two colorways. They went with a black waterfall cardigan and a tan yoga hoodie thing. The pants are awesome because they are comfy, can also work for dinner in the evening, and have good pockets. I also brought one pair of dressier blue pants, and brown leggings. The dressier blue pants were one of the things I didn't wear. My brodder, gaiter, and puffy ski gloves were the others. The leggings I threw in at the last minute and I ended up wearing several times on sea days. So comfy.gowalkblue.jpg.e6484362f5a8b7613bea23cadacc1915.jpg

Here is my selection of tops. I had three t-shirts (plus one that I wore to fly), the blue one on top, the purple, orange, tan one under on the left, and a blue tan multi one under on the right:

smtees(2).JPG.d704c5a499a6938130654d5b036bd1b2.JPG

Four long sleeved Lucky Brand tops - blue, burgundy, (brown leggings), blue&teal, and on the far right, blue black brown. I usually wore these for dinner one night and then they became daywear:

smtops(1).JPG.fa4f6aca9307c82abe08dcbae73243d4.JPG

In the middle are some of the tops I wore for evening, the blue/black pattern at the top from Desigual, black plaid with flowers, red and yellow floral, and black velvet that I wore for the Captains Circle party (the loyalty program event). The Lucky top at far right I wore for the last night and then to fly home the next day. It is so comfortable.

I also wore this silk-like Ann Taylor shell one night, it is a favorite of mine for the interesting color combination and has a pretty ribbon tie at the back of the neck:

smtops2.jpg.c41a3462090525c6ee933f35ecbe841b.jpg

I took two slimming tank tops, black and nude, that I layered under these on the colder days. Sometimes I also wore my sleeveless down vest, like to breakfast in the morning so we could sit by the windows in the buffet for the scenery, or my fleece.

And finally two sweaters, and two sweatshirt-type things. First one is prettier IRL than it looks, the colors are dark blue, gray blue, muted green and ivory:

Sweater1sm.JPG.5f675f701fee6fe42afff2d76a2f9dd2.JPG

Sweater3sm.thumb.jpg.f01fa194feb9e2d4f6daa6c2c5d57422.jpg

I was happy to have these tunic-length sweatshirt thingies to wear with my leggings and brown booties on sea days. So comfy:

Sweater2sm.thumb.jpg.4b13a413995a27c6e875e61755c159a1.jpg

So, for footwear I had black/leopard slipons (wore on the plane) and brown Coach sneakers for daytime/walking shoes. I can't walk a lot in the same shoes day after day. Black suede booties and brown westernish booties for casual nights and dinners in London. My red suede pumps and silver sparkle heels for formal nights (3). Short brown snow boots for walking ashore where it was cold and wet, and worn on deck at night for the NL. Full on snow boots for Alta, where there was snow and ice on the ground and we were outside most of the night. And my Zumba shoes which I never wear outside. Zumba on sea days is a treat, and a big lure for me on Princess.

• Like 1

Arrival at Heathrow was very smooth. Going through immigration was super quick, and we found our bags easily. It took some time for our driver to reach us but eventually we found him and off we went.

Our room was not available for early arrival, unfortunately, and we were both needing a nap and a shower. Oh well. We had lunch at the hotel and then walked to Buckingham Palace, took some photos, and found a bank. Mark had an assortment of old British pounds that were no longer legal after rolling around in a drawer at home for years. The bank was good about replacing them with new money. Tada! We have $100 more!  We were happy.

20230929_124729sm.JPG.fd646faf716585161ba5b55f65000179.JPG

20230929_124921sm.JPG.41a2da34fec7a2f39677cc144b5ca00d.JPG

Eventually we got to our room, took showers, and settled in. This was our view looking over the train station.

20230929_144952sm.JPG.364742fc33225f8e92be26898a64b5f4.JPG

We wanted an easy dinner so I googled and found a French bistro across the street at Victoria Station. There is a small mall at one end where upstairs we found Café Rouge. There was one other party apart from us. It was quite good!  It turns out it is a chain restaurant but with only a handful of locations around England. The train station is full of some handy stores and a few restaurants, including a McDonalds. There was a Boots and a M&S store for snacks and ready to go food, and most importantly, WINE.

20230930_110824sm.JPG.85786fa8892059d585f695b8f57502c0.JPG

I knew as soon as I took this photo that I had a similar one from our previous trip to London. I knew then that our hotel was the same one we had been in before. It is across the street from a side entrance into the station. At the far end under the arch is where the main entrance is. That is also where the Underground entrance is. We used it a lot.

• Like 1

Love your clothing choices. I just bought two new long sleeved print tops (in Boston). I expected the weather to be a bit warmer (really glad I threw my 32 degree vest in at the last minute Ive barely taken it off!). Only things I haven’t worn are my short sleeved shirts. I also bought more smartwool socks!

Edited by awhfy

Margaret, you made some great clothing choices.  I know we joke a lot about me not wearing the same thing twice, but that isn't the case when the weather is cooler.  I wear my jeans multiple times before I wash them, as well as things like fleece.  Fleece quarter zips tend to be my go to during the winter.  I have added a scarf when I am on my way out the door to a casual restaurant, but it is also really durable and warm when we don't want to turn the heat up too much at home.

I can imagine I would want to pack similar to you when I go to Alaska?  That cruise isn't booked yet, but it is a bucket list item for my husband and I.  

I am still so excited that you were able to see the northern lights on our trip.  

I have been off a few days to use up some of my remaining vacation time.  I've been painting away, lol.

Friday, I made drapes for my mud room, I painted the kitchen yesterday and today I painted part of the hall.  The hall consists of the upstairs portion, downstair portion, stairway and landing.  I painted the upper and lwer halls only, as my husband wants to do a bit more patching on the stairway before I paint.

I cannot begin to tell you what a beating that stairway has taken.  I knew it was due for a fresh coat of paint, but when I did the upper and lower halls, it was pretty obvious how bad the stairway area needs it.  I did a lot of small patching before painting in all of the rooms so far, and those little touch ups have created such a nice foundation for the fresh paint.  I am beyond excited about this.  

You know I talk a lot about too much stuff....one of my goals is to think before I put things back.  I'm trying to thin out the clutter.  So far, this is working very well.  We are choosing what means the most to us.  With some of the items that "don't make the cut", it doesn't necessarily mean we are donating or tossing out an item.  It just means that it needs a new location.  Sometimes, just starting with blank walls makes you realize that you don't have the wrong items, they're just not in the right place.  

Our laundry room project is spiraling a bit, but nothing we can't get done in a reasonable amount of time.  That will be one room where I am not going with lighter, fresher color.  Well, it is very fresh looking, by my definition, but it isn't a light color.  Gotta be bold somewhere!!!

• Like 1

Laurie, I think dressing for Alaska really depends on when and where you go, and what kind of activities you will do. This was a pretty specialized cruise where there were some good threads about what to take. We felt well-prepared. Being out at night in the cold in the Arctic is a whole other level of preparation than the usual Alaska cruise. We were fine with the usual level of winter gear for our coldest days in Alaska, which for us was being outdoors for the scenic cruising among the glaciers. Given where you live, I'd lay a bet that you have everything you need in your closet. 🙂

Our first full day in London we went to the Tate Modern (art museum). It is in a former power plant that housed turbines. The entrance floor is very industrial with a large open area. The art galleries are at the two ends of the buildings on several floors. So you go up and down one side to see those galleries, then cross the big open space to the other side, and go up and down again for the rest of the galleries. Some of them have special exhibits that cost extra. We skipped those floors. There are escalators in the middle to move up and down, and elevators at either end.

20230930_115144sm.JPG.35d7de08824321c197aacdb3b001af6c.JPG

20230930_120530sm.JPG.c690e488fb15cd74387f38af6558210e.JPG

My mother was a painter so we all grew up painting and going to art shows, and I still have a love of museums of all kinds. I'll only post a couple pictures of pieces from the museum, which are ones that had extra meaning for me.

So here are a few things I really liked and why. This first one just felt so dynamic, like it was moving off the wall. As a former dancer and choreographer, I really liked the motion in it. It is by Leonard Drew and is made of found and recycled objects. It was very large.

20230930_121652sm.JPG.dbee8f2eb30e0f33d6ec8005953eaa44.JPG

This painting is by Vanessa Bell, sister of Virginia Woolf, and member of the Bloomsbury group. It is the first painting of hers I've ever seen, so I was happy to see it. I also just really liked it.

20230930_132018sm.JPG.62145e6998d3d5c2c218ec530b064017.JPG

This is a funny story, and one of the reasons we ended up at the Tate. Mark and I both read a book where the color International Klein Blue was significant. It turns out the painter Yves Klein invented it, and it was a big deal in its day. A big deal. We always wanted to see one of his paintings after reading the book. So here is one.

20230930_130240sm.JPG.352e73edda54240f3eff7636d0cc1409.JPG

BTW the book we read is called Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, one of my favorite scifi authors.

The museum has a lovely restaurant at the top. It is a bit pricey but the food was very good, and it has lovely views across the Thames. This is the Millennium Bridge with St. Paul's Cathedral in the distance.

20230930_143153sm.JPG.27ec183e2e469c3f78b5cd3a5e4c30f5.JPG

When we left, this grassy area had children running around and people resting on the grass and having picnics. Since it was Saturday, the esplanade along the river had many people strolling, jogging, and generally enjoying the sunny day. Between the paved area that sticks out into the water, and the barge anchored out past it, there were probably two dozen swans hanging out. People were feeding them. There were stairs from that area down to the water's edge where you could walk along the water for a bit.

20230930_143205sm.JPG.f894d1fe6d7a0757cec66a62cbfb46b1.JPG

After lunch we crossed the bridge and found a Pret a Manger for some coffee and a snack.

IMG_8448sm.JPG.2f3465fec10d79e5c26c0d8fdf256da9.JPG

• Like 2

St. Paul's. It's not open to the public, but you can "attend" mass or evensong. They open the church 15 minutes beforehand, so you can visit briefly and sneak out before the service begins if you don't choose to stay. There's a man out front managing the line to get in. You can just see it in the bottom left of this photo.

20230930_163501sm.JPG.66ec32470bf5ac001d9fb83261747654.JPG

20230930_161227sm.JPG.1c251cac31d776d4ed0fc6d0d9ac73f0.JPG

20230930_162232sm.JPG.7163496f4e95649aa7ebc4b01de2eaac.JPG

20230930_162145sm.JPG.a241460a0d1e81cc4a1a1ffd9471068d.JPG

From there we took the underground back to Victoria Station. I stopped in a handbag shop to ask a clerk there where I could find a nightgown (since I had forgotten mine), and she directed me to an office complex that had shops and restaurants on the ground floors, including a Marks & Spencer. Mission accomplished. There were also several restaurants, so later we went back to one called Brown's. They have three in London. I had the BEST haddock fish & chips! Mark enjoyed his chicken caesar salad but had major food envy when he saw mine. Add a scotch and I was set for a good nights' sleep. 🙂

20230930_193717sm.JPG.03e8b627cbe2054603818550b4fb0634.JPG

• Like 2

On Sunday we went to the Science Museum.I won't bore you with pictures and tales of all the cool inventions we saw. However, the exhibits about the earliest mechanical computers, vacuum tube computers, and the size of some of them was fascinating to us. I also enjoyed the section on the invention of wireless telegraph. Some of the earlier items like telescopes, clocks, and scientific testing apparatus were very beautiful and ornate. I was most excited about seeing an early Charles Babbage difference engine:

20231001_115917sm.JPG.a42de0aff3925f69b7b6c7447721b621.JPG

There was even a working steam engine on the first floor.

20231001_151703sm.JPG.49adbb22bcbf83e9f8ea0c0108cee78c.JPG

My best hint for this museum is when you go online to order your tickets (advance purchase required), also order box lunches. The cafeteria steam table offerings are not so great. There is a selection of sandwiches and wraps in cases that you can buy, along with fruit, chips, etc. However, we just walked to the cashier and said we had preordered, they went in the back and brought them out, we bought a couple drinks, and we skipped the whole line for food. There is a seating area right there (full of families) but go up the stairs where it is quieter.

Check out the giant computer behind us!

IMG_8510sm.JPG.30e5bc854e9206c8ea47bc09e53e2a42.JPG

For dinner we went back to the same area to eat at another restaurant we had seen there called Bill's. It had a very diverse menu that we both enjoyed. Burgers, shawarma chicken, lots of vegetarian choices, you name it, something for everyone.

• Like 1

Our last day in London was a work day for Mark, so I took myself off to the National Gallery. It has an incredible collection, if you like art I highly recommend it. There is so much to love, but I will only post one picture because it was an extremely delightful surprise, and is truly a world treasure. I didn't even know such a thing existed. It is the only surviving drawing by Leonardo da Vinci. OMG. It is all the way in the back on the left side of the building. Run don't walk.

20231002_123751sm.JPG.f874dcd1f07e866e67e5beb6d8505f92.JPG

The area around the museum was bustling with activity. This guitarist was amazing so I stopped a listened for a bit.

20231002_114428sm.JPG.c37f513938a5cc22a515d70cea3a3f1f.JPG

20231002_115023sm.JPG.5c52a99bec19967daaf395c641ddf9b1.JPG

Nice view of Big Ben

20231002_114656sm.JPG.4cf3dc315f3d9e41d935547d4165892a.JPG

That night we had tickets to see Macbeth at the Globe. We had a quick early dinner at another Pret a Manger on the block behind our hotel and headed out. It turned out that three actors were sick and the show was canceled. Oh well. Our money was refunded before we were out of the subway. We grabbed some snacks and wine on the way back and had a picnic in our room.

20231002_191136sm.JPG.b8440ae6f08d70ca8cc04bb6987eb810.JPG

The next day we would pack up in the morning and head to Southampton.

I'll take a break here and let Laurie post some pictures!  Can't wait to see some more of your trip!

• Like 2

Margaret, I am loving hearing about London!  My only trips have been cruises mostly to the Caribbean.  We also went to the Grand Canyon about 11 years ago.  I have always wanted to see England in some way. Right now, I'm doing that through your posts!

I would have been besides myself with excitement to see that Leonardo DaVinci drawing!!

I don't have my cruise stuff together yet since we've been so busy in the house, but I am going to sneak a few mudroom pictures in so you can see the paint and drapes.

You can see the bright orange in the laundry room.  This will be a pretty Caribbean blue/aqua color when we are done, so being able to see the laundry room so clearly is why I went the route did for the drapes.

20231024_161653.jpg

20231024_161647.jpg

20231024_161714.jpg

20230830_193241.jpg

• Like 1

I like the new drapes, and I think having blue in the laundry room will nicely complement the blue/gray tones in your floor.

I bought new curtains for our bedroom at the beginning of the summer and they are still waiting for me to hem them. I need to just designate a sewing weekend.

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a fan of jacobean prints.  I already had two sets of drapes in very si.ilar pri ts but different colors.  I was trying to avoid it because I thought I "needed" something different.  My daughter reminded me that they should be what I love, and I realized she was right.

20201107_191522.jpg

20210307_085839.jpg

• Like 1

Here are some photos from Southampton. We left our hotel in London about 10am and were there by lunchtime. This is a popular spot with cruisers and was within walking distance of our hotel.

20231003_141407sm.JPG.a547f131dce516033a56a25abc31d117.JPG

20231003_141344sm.JPG.deec700d4ee87310b60fab25a9d01153.JPG

20231003_135629sm.JPG.cbfc8cf9d1dfedd9c81f60c8b8494d46.JPG

I had downloaded a walking tour called The Jane Austen HeritageTrail, which leads you to places she would have frequented when she lived here and is also a nice way to see some of the historic buildings within the old walled city.

https://www.elnasmith.com/southampton-the-jane-austen-heritage-trail-tour/

I found the map here:

https://tudorhouseandgarden.com/explore/old_town/

We had dinner at another Bill's. The decor was  a little different, but with the same eclectic vibe. Through the windows we could see part of the old city wall.

20231003_182749sm.JPG.de8b6c9063a31531ff5cb97a3b24e1bc.JPG

20231003_182805sm.JPG.70fb3168bcca2a9d0b195682c3ce4c16.JPG

• Like 1

Embarkation Day! You can see how lovely the weather was for October, not even a jacket.

20231004_134052sm.JPG.e509538de89ca68bf819b9cb9dd5f3be.JPG

This covered pool area was only really cold in the middle of the cruise. The hot tubs here and even in the open pool area were often busy. Of course, this is also where the ice cream was. 🙂 

20231004_133645sm.JPG.8a501fdbe013e7a517ce84a5a8cac133.JPG

Our cabin is what Princess calls a Mini-Suite. It does not have any suite benefits, but we like having more room and a bathroom with a tub/shower. Mark is 6'3" and takes up a lot of space!  Believe it or not we actually used our balcony often, for taking pictures, sail in/sail out from some of the ports, even just to pop out and see what the temperature was like. We sat out there to drink our "champagne" during sailaway from Southampton.

20231004_112652sm.JPG.3ad4313bde2044e19ceeca127bf3c3de.JPG

20231004_112808sm.JPG.0c1931823c3832c1582bdc2e34a0d7d3.JPG

20231016_163002.JPGsm.JPG.257cec85ed5d18571ee23d90c7ee1ba4.JPG

• Like 2

We skipped our first port, Stavanger, in order to charge ahead of a storm. So we stopped at Trondheim instead. This had happened before on this itinerary, so was I prepared? Of course!  We no sooner got ashore and it started to rain pretty hard. Mark decided to stay on the ship. I had forgotten my warmest gloves and lost my lip balm, so I was on a shopping mission. I was quickly successful and by then the sun was out so I took a wander.

Pedestrian shopping area:

20231007_104935sm.JPG.6d9fd49ce21a8e3532709f3c94600f9a.JPG

Old Norman Church:

20231007_110107sm.JPG.ac08fe343f0eef1d06969e078de2ad5e.JPG

Famous view from the Old Bridge:

20231007_110818sm.JPG.25d4ff57a20338743023fc78eab201a6.JPG

Nidaros Cathedral, and burial site of King Olaf II. I got to hear the beautiful noon bells (and there was wifi there so I checked in):

20231007_111535sm.JPG.a295e1f01eae0fe31d54d4e39ee36f55.JPG

20231007_111956sm.JPG.9c79ab65e2e2cf3e98523d402f26d5fc.JPG

The next day was a sea day, so not much to report, but it was formal night. I wore my black sheath dress and silver peep-toe pumps. Love the lousy downlights!  

20231008_192623sm.JPG.fd2350b945ff4617193c4427116c999f.JPG

After dinner I was checking our cruise's FB page and people were reporting lights. So we got our first taste though they were very faint and distant.

• Like 2

Our next port was Tromso and by now it was getting cold. We had planned to ride the cablecar for the view, but it was snowing while we were getting ready, so we changed plans and just walked to the Polar Museum. We had to take a shuttle bus from the port to the center of town. We walked by the cathedral, strolled along the waterfront, and had lunch at a waterfront restaurant with a view of the Arctic Cathedral. Our waiter showed us pictures of the Northern Lights on his phone, they had been seeing them in town for the last couple nights.

I wore my leggings with my warm brown boots (but my legs got cold). This is one of my favorite cashmere sweaters, perfect for layering, and actually the only one large enough to do that well -- so I'm glad it went with my other clothes!

20231009_105517sm.JPG.1fa31a1690a703e096c5e9ea2e3087a4.JPG

This gift shop was doing a bustling business. But they have a free "restaurant map" that is good for the center of town and came in very handy.

IMG_8593sm.JPG.f4be43e0bad6d32ac3f32e6de7ea2312.JPG

The Polar Museum is much larger than it looks. Hunting and trapping for food and pelts was an important part of life, especially for the Sami, and some of the exhibits involving dead stuffed animals and old hunting photos might not be to everyone's taste, but we were prepared about what we would see, and found it very educational. I especially wanted to see the section about polar exploration and Roald Amundson. They had a lot of photos and documents about that era.

20231009_130008sm.JPG.ea5cb56b6865d19ccd2e1df9306e0d6a.JPG

20231009_125925sm.JPG.ba6e398b3f9e5e1daccb3b552ae5293b.JPG

This restaurant along the marina had excellent fish and a really good beer selection. Excellent view of the Arctic Cathedral as well.

20231009_134341sm.JPG.49a1156ce2a663d7db859e0d1560640f.JPG

20231009_143424sm.JPG.08c14308e6c6e19d41539422e89a8ded.JPG

The area around Tromso was really beautiful. But cold and cloudy.

20231010_110733sm.JPG.de44fb217df9762a1c903cc3aabbd5e3.JPG

Later that night, I met a woman in the elevator with a cast on her arm. She had fallen on the ice at the cablecar viewpoint and spent the afternoon at the hospital getting her broken arm set. So we were wise not to go up there.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1