Cruising with a 17 month old!

girlonfire30

we cruised when our son was 10 months and our daughter 18 months. some tips would be:

*bring lots of sunscreen

*bring ibuprofen, benedryl, etc

*bring lots of antibacterial wipes to wipe down everything in your cabin and tables and high chairs

*bring dish soap so you can wash sippy cups

*bring more diapers and wipes than you think you may need

*bring small toys to keep them entertained

*bring snacks to have on hand while you're waiting for dinner or for ports

we also brought blankets from home and a white noise machine for bedtime. when our son was 10 months we brought a blow up tub to give him baths in, but with our daughter she just sat on the bottom of the shower and we bathed her that way. (along with our son who was 3 at the time) if i can think of anything else i'll add it :)

Where to find this family board ? Is it on cruise critique forum?

We are cruising with a family incl a 2't year old grandson.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

if you scroll down to where it says "special interest cruising" at the main forum page there is a family section. hope this helps!

I met a lady at tea last week on Glory and they had their 18 month old son with. She wasn't aware that he couldn't go to Camp Carnival or whatever they call it now. They were really hoping for an evening alone. I told her to ask about in cabin babysitting. She did. When I saw her again that night at dinner, she said they wouldn't come to the cabin because of his age so they had to bring him everywhere.

So my advice is be prepared to spend all your time together as a family. If you want some time alone or have a night out by yourselves, bring a friend or relative with.

I met a lady at tea last week on Glory and they had their 18 month old son with. She wasn't aware that he couldn't go to Camp Carnival or whatever they call it now. They were really hoping for an evening alone. I told her to ask about in cabin babysitting. She did. When I saw her again that night at dinner, she said they wouldn't come to the cabin because of his age so they had to bring him everywhere.

So my advice is be prepared to spend all your time together as a family. If you want some time alone or have a night out by yourselves, bring a friend or relative with.

I thought Camp Carnival would watch the younger children after 10pm for a fee?

Camp Carnival will do babysitting for a fee but not in cabin.

She said they told her straight up no. Not in cabin or in Camp Carnival. I meant to put that in my first post. She couldn't get any type of child care.

Not here to debate, just stating what was told to me by someone with a small child. Mine were 5 and 7 when we started cruising so I didn't have to worry about it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

She said they told her straight up no. Not in cabin or in Camp Carnival. I meant to put that in my first post. She couldn't get any type of child care.

Not here to debate, just stating what was told to me by someone with a small child. Mine were 5 and 7 when we started cruising so I didn't have to worry about it.

She misunderstood and you probably complicated the matter by bringing up in room sitting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

She misunderstood and you probably complicated the matter by bringing up in room sitting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I told her I thought they had in cabin sitting because she told me that she thought he could stay there after hours (in Camp Carnival) and they told her no the first day. So I told her to ask as I was sure there was some type of option available. It must have been Celebrity that has the in room sitting. I know one of the cruise lines did.

Don't think she misunderstood but could be. Maybe they were short staffed and couldn't offer the service that cruise or something. I have no idea. Moral of the story is be prepared to not have a night out. If you happen to get one - bonus. It may be best to bring along a sitter if it means a lot to you.

One thing is for sure - you will need to bring your little one with you to dinner as there are no other options available.

Edited by firemanbobswife

My daughter's first cruise was when she was 18 months.

Be prepared to see everything through the exited eyes of a toddler. There will be things that you take for granted, but will be an endless source of wonder for the entire trip; it could be a sparkly curtain in a lounge, the endless movement of the ocean, or some other surprise just waiting to be found. Enjoy it.

On the practical side, make sure you baby has his naps and gets enough sleep at night. A well rested baby will allow you to do more than a cranky one. Hopefully, your child can sleep in places other than a dark, quiet room so those naps can be on a lounge in the shade on deck or in the stroller.

Because a 17 month old is at the age where he want to walk (run) everywhere, a toddler harness will be a good idea for the time when you would feel more comfortable with him under control and attached to one of you (i.e;the airport, ashore in port, etc). Be prepared for snide comments about the child not being a dog from the uneducated. If too much attention is being given by a person about the harness, call for security or law enforcement and have them inquire why the busybody is so interested in having your child available for kidnapping. ;)

I have a 13 month old & a 26 month old and have used the harness on the 26 month old since she was 1! It allows me to keep both my children safe. I'll be using my Tula ( baby carrier) & my harness on our upcoming cruise! #noshame #keepmybabiessafe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

i specifically chose carnival because they start camp at 2 whereas everyone else's camp age was 3. only disney (i believe) caters to kids younger than 2 with a babysitting service.