Maui public bus question

nisky

If you have done this, I'm looking for information on how to get to the public bus from the port at Kahului to go to either Lahaina or perhaps Wailea Beach. Is there a shuttle or would we need to walk, and if so, how far? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

If you have done this, I'm looking for information on how to get to the public bus from the port at Kahului to go to either Lahaina or perhaps Wailea Beach. Is there a shuttle or would we need to walk, and if so, how far? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance![/quote

I'm not aware of any public busses that cross the island, but maybe someone else knows. My concern would be the time it would take with stops, and if the schedule would be compatible with getting you back to the ship. By car from Kahului to Lahaina is about 40 minutes, and to Wailea, 30 minutes.

We are going to Lahaina on our cruise this month, but we are taking the Thrifty shuttle from the port to the airport next door and picking up a car for the day. If you are on the POA, they do offer a Lahaina for the day tour which is basically just transportation there and back. I think there is only one drop off and return time however.

On Kauai, there is Kalapaki Beach which is about a 2 block walk from the ship in Nawiliwili. Shops, restaurants, and a Mariott Hotel right on the beach. A couple of shuttles run back and forth from the ship if you don't want to walk.

Edited by punkincc

We did a few years ago, but sure the info is about the same. Take the shuttle bus to the shopping center (think it is Queen Emma or something similar). Shuttle bus will be at the pier.

Then walk thru shopping center to bus stop to take the local bus to Lahaina. We weren't sure about bus stop so asked in one store and they graciously directed us. Fun way to spend the day without going on a tour. We love Lahaina!

Nisky

If you Google Maui County Bus it should give you public bus info. You take Lahaina Islander #20 from Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall to Wharf Cinema Centre right in Lahaina. Also shows bus from Queen K Mall to Wailea.

Sandra

Nisky

If you Google Maui County Bus it should give you public bus info. You take Lahaina Islander #20 from Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall to Wharf Cinema Centre right in Lahaina. Also shows bus from Queen K Mall to Wailea.

Sandra

That is correct. Here is a pdf you can print.

http://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/4353

It shows the route and the schedule.

We haven't taken the bus on Maui (have only rented cars there) but if you use google maps, you can get directions using the bus system (choose the bus icon instead of the car one) - it will also tell you how much walking there is at either end of your trip.

Between the info in the posts above and google maps, I think you should be able to come up with a bus plan. However, it's a slow trip via bus from Kahului to W. Maui or Wailea. Rental cars can be had for about $30-$35/ day - a bargain that offers the flexibility to explore more of beautiful Maui.

Edited by Susan-M

• 4 weeks later...

If you are on POA ship you will dock in Lahania, if you are on Carnival you will dock in Kahuilui. I am on Carnival and will be taking the bus across to Lahania.....we are docked until 11pm so it should give you plenty of time to travel. This is my plan

BUS FROM KAHUILUI TO LAHAINA. (mauibus.net)

Lahaina Islander #20

Pick up bus at Queen Kaahumanu Mall

To Wharf Cinema Center 10:30 arrive 11:30 hope to catch 11:30 To

BUS TO KAANAPALI BEACH

Kaanapali Islander #25

So much info on CC & Tripadvisor.......I dont post very often but i go on sites pick out what interests you and copy and make your own itinerary.

Good Luck

If you are on POA ship you will dock in Lahania, if you are on Carnival you will dock in Kahuilui. I am on Carnival and will be taking the bus across to Lahania.....we are docked until 11pm so it should give you plenty of time to travel. This is my plan

Whoa....back the ship up. POA docks in Kahului. I believe Carnival does also.

Nobody docks in Lahaina, it is a tender port. Most other cruise lines besides POA and Carnival go to Lahaina.

Edited by CruiserBruce