How soon to check in - Jewel out of San Juan?

Hi! I have searched but did not find a clear answer. We will be cruising on the Jewel and scheduled departure is at 8:30 PM out of San Juan. This is later than the typical 4pm departure for most cruises we have been on. What time does check-in start at the terminal? I called RCI and they said check-in begins at 3pm. From some of the reviews/posts I have read, however, people check in sooner. Don't want to show up too early, but we are always anxious to get on board and start our cruise! Is 11 - 11:30am too early? Thanks!

The departure time in general doesn't have a huge impact on boarding time. We usually get there about 10:00 which usually puts us in the front of the line. By 11:00 or so they will let you in and have the potential to be on the ship by 11:30. If you are a suite guest there is less of a need to get there too early before boarding as you be in the suite waiting area with very few people.

Long story short, boarding is usually around 11:30 - 12:00 even though departure is later in the evening.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Thanks so much for the details! We are not suite guests, but still looks like we are OK to board late morning. Hotel check out time is usually around 11 - noon. That is part of the equation, but in all honestly, the sooner I can board, the sooner the cruise begins!! :D:D Thanks, again!

Thanks so much for the details! We are not suite guests, but still looks like we are OK to board late morning. Hotel check out time is usually around 11 - noon. That is part of the equation, but in all honestly, the sooner I can board, the sooner the cruise begins!! :D:D Thanks, again!

You have paid for that first day on the ship. Get on board and enjoy it. One thing to consider if you haven't already, the cabins do not open until about 1:00. That means if you carry luggage on with you, you'll have to schlep it around until 1:00 when you can drop it off in your cabin.

Regarding dragging luggage around, thanks for the warning. We usually end up going first thing to whatever food venue is open, generally the cafeteria-style restaurant near the pool, and camp out for a bit. We do only carry-on, so we definitely don't move again until the cabins are ready. We hang out, take turns going to get food/drinks/etc. Usually we are all unpacked and ready to enjoy the cruise by 2:30. :)

BTW, we have cruised one other time out of San Juan. However, it was a Carnival cruise with the ship docked at the pier in Old San Juan. We actually checked in and then DD and I got of the ship and shopped in Old San Juan. Can't recall the exact time that one needed to be back on the ship, but departure wasn't until 10pm. As a matter of fact, the MDR was half empty. Lots of guests still in Old San Juan. The Pan Am pier is different though from what I have read. Nothing really to do nearby. I have no other choice but to enjoy the ship. :D

BTW, we have cruised one other time out of San Juan. However, it was a Carnival cruise with the ship docked at the pier in Old San Juan. We actually checked in and then DD and I got of the ship and shopped in Old San Juan. Can't recall the exact time that one needed to be back on the ship, but departure wasn't until 10pm. As a matter of fact, the MDR was half empty. Lots of guests still in Old San Juan. The Pan Am pier is different though from what I have read. Nothing really to do nearby. I have no other choice but to enjoy the ship. :D

Nope, there is nothing near Pan Am pier. It's about a 15 minute, $20 cab ride to Old San Juan if you wanted go there for the rest of the day. There is an airport next to the Pan Am pier. I love to stand on the upper decks and watch the planes come and go.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Looks like the Pan Am pier is right next to the airport - Wow! Are there any big jets or are the planes smaller? We live near a regional airport and we enjoy watching the jets take off, which are usually few and far between. Mostly prop planes and news helicopters. Definitely something to check out. Thanks!

Looks like the Pan Am pier is right next to the airport - Wow! Are there any big jets or are the planes smaller? We live near a regional airport and we enjoy watching the jets take off, which are usually few and far between. Mostly prop planes and news helicopters. Definitely something to check out. Thanks!

Mostly prop planes and helicopters. Occasionally you'll see a small jet. No major commercial airliners, the runway is too short.