Considering Carnival

Hey all - looking at a quick 4 night cruise out of Los Angeles on the Inspiration or Imagination. I currently have 3 cruises booked with Royal Caribbean so will be used to them by the time I would be cruising Carnival.

What can I expect? Want to take my adult children (late teen-early 20) but I don't really want to be in a "booze cruise" atmosphere. Just fun and relaxing. (ok, a little booze too!)

Tell me what's good and bad about Carnival, especially compared to RCI!

Thanks!

I've sailed on Carnival and RCCL.

Minor differences, some good, some,, just different, none bad. Just different.

Listen, 4 day cruise out of LA. What ? Monday thru Thursday?

SoCal clientele, 4 days off work or a quick get away,,,,, there's going to be some serious partying going on.

Not as bad as a 3 day and not as sedate as a 7 day

Edited by klfrodo

I prefer Carnival, many others would agree, and many would disagree. The cruises you are choosing on Carnival are on older ships and shorter cruises. We find the shorter the cruise, the more of a party atmosphere. To compare apples to apples you would have to cruise the same length cruise on ships of the same age.

You may want to avoid shorter cruises over spring break, they can get a bit more rowdy.

I've sailed on Carnival and RCCL.

Minor differences, some good, some,, just different, none bad. Just different.

Listen, 4 day cruise out of LA. What ? Monday thru Thursday?

SoCal clientele, 4 days off work or a quick get away,,,,, there's going to be some serious partying going on.

Not as bad as a 3 day and not as sedate as a 7 day

Exactly this. Never been on the 4 day but the 3 day we went on was pretty heavy with booze cruisers. I assume that since the 4 day has no weekend days, that would cut out quite a bit of that though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2325980

3 day cruises are like Vegas, lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties. Four day can be as boring as Princess or like the 3 day depending on time of year.

Can always find a quiet place onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey all - looking at a quick 4 night cruise out of Los Angeles on the Inspiration or Imagination. I currently have 3 cruises booked with Royal Caribbean so will be used to them by the time I would be cruising Carnival.

What can I expect? Want to take my adult children (late teen-early 20) but I don't really want to be in a "booze cruise" atmosphere. Just fun and relaxing. (ok, a little booze too!)

Tell me what's good and bad about Carnival, especially compared to RCI!

Thanks!

I'm 56 and I just finished my 4th RCI cruise in December, and followed it up with 8 weeks on CCL-The Beautiful Carnival Splendor. I would never even consider 8 weeks on RCI. Overall, minor differences in the guest make-up. It's more about the time of year (spring break) if booze is going to become a problem. Younger people will take the shorter cruises, but that doesn't mean everyone is drunk. We've done a few shorter cruises, with no problems at all. For me, it's Carnival, hands down, all the way.

I like Carnival much better than RCCL - I have more "fun" on Carnival - and the people don't seem a "stuck up" as on RCCL - I took a 4 day out of Tampa last September, over a weekend ... and even then I didn't see TOO MUCH boozin' - and I'm in recovery from Alcohol so trust me if it was a ship full of frat boys I would have noticed. I think CCL will be a great choice for you, GO FOR IT! IMHO I think you get a way better value sailing on Carnival - and my advice would be to book your next carnival cruise while on this one, so you will get a bonus OBC for the next one! Have fun!

Cheers

Jeff aka Recovery Dude:)

I like Carnival much better than RCCL - I have more "fun" on Carnival - and the people don't seem a "stuck up" as on RCCL - I took a 4 day out of Tampa last September, over a weekend ... and even then I didn't see TOO MUCH boozin' - and I'm in recovery from Alcohol so trust me if it was a ship full of frat boys I would have noticed. I think CCL will be a great choice for you, GO FOR IT! IMHO I think you get a way better value sailing on Carnival - and my advice would be to book your next carnival cruise while on this one, so you will get a bonus OBC for the next one! Have fun!

Cheers

Jeff aka Recovery Dude:)

:( Inspiration and Imagination do not have the Future Cruise Desk. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow! 8 weeks, really?

Winter vacation. Had the best time with the best crew. Couldn't rent a place in Florida cheaper. With a cruise, food and entertainment are included, and you wake up in a different place every morning. Just don't buy a lot of alcohol, shore excursions through the ship or specialty dining (and book a cheap room, since you won't be in it much). It really was the ultimate winter vacation.

I've been on a week long RC cruise out of Canaveral, and a four day on Carnival out of Long Beach. Both at the beginning of spring break.

Without going into a bunch of details, our recent four day out of Long Beach was WAY tamer. My wife and I (32) were actually a little disappointed it didn't at least stand up to Royal's atmosphere.

But it was a good different. Good enough to cancel future cruises with Royal so we can be loyal to Carnival. :)

Edited by TomAceEsq