AT&T on cruise

LovetheCubs

Does anyone know anything about using your cell phone on the Escape? My husband and I are leaving our children with their grandparents when we go on our cruise. We don't expect to call home often but would like to check on them 2 or 3 times. Any advice with at&the service?

Does anyone know anything about using your cell phone on the Escape? My husband and I are leaving our children with their grandparents when we go on our cruise. We don't expect to call home often but would like to check on them 2 or 3 times. Any advice with A service?

It will be standard international roaming charges. That carrier does not offer any cruise ship plans on NCL. $2.50 per minute international roaming charges. $0.50 per text message sent. It would be cheaper to wait until you get to a port. St. Thomas is the United States and normal cell charges would apply. Tortola and Nassau would require an international plan.

We always get an internet plan and use imessage to text back home.

Edited by BirdTravels

You can pay $7.95 (one time activation fee per device) to activate iConcierge app. Then you can call home for $.79/minute through the app while on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you have IPhones or a IPad?? We get internet package on the ship, put our phones on airplane mode and use FaceTime. We leave my Mom home with my IPad and set a time up every day with the understanding that if we don't call it is just a bad connection. We use FaceTime audio and it works perfectly..

You can contact AT&T about a plan depending on what islands you are going to and call from there as well if possible. Out at sea I would not risk the charge..

Edited by TraJon9

Can the grandparents text? I call forward my calls to my daughter, turn off wifi and data, and then the phone is open for text only. Free to recieve, 50 cents to send. Works everytime. I even taught my elderly mom how to text so she can text me daily when I'm away

Safe sailing

Can the grandparents text? I call forward my calls to my daughter, turn off wifi and data, and then the phone is open for text only. Free to recieve, 50 cents to send. Works everytime. I even taught my elderly mom how to text so she can text me daily when I'm away

Safe sailing[/quote

This is a great idea! Thanks!

Safe sailing

This is the same thing I've been wondering about for our next cruise. I just got my first smart phone (iPhone) and I've been worried about how to avoid insane roaming charges when we're away, yet still be able to text our son at home.

I've been reading that if I turn off "cellular data" and "data roaming" this will still let me text and I'll just pay my carrier's per text cost.

This is all new to me....my previous phones did not have a data package and could only call or text, so roaming charges while away from home were never a worry, I just paid for outgoing texts. My son also has an iPhone....does this make any difference with texting while out of the country with my new phone?

Any thoughts are very welcome!

This is the same thing I've been wondering about for our next cruise. I just got my first smart phone (iPhone) and I've been worried about how to avoid insane roaming charges when we're away, yet still be able to text our son at home.

I've been reading that if I turn off "cellular data" and "data roaming" this will still let me text and I'll just pay my carrier's per text cost.

This is all new to me....my previous phones did not have a data package and could only call or text, so roaming charges while away from home were never a worry, I just paid for outgoing texts. My son also has an iPhone....does this make any difference with texting while out of the country with my new phone?

Any thoughts are very welcome!

Exactly as you said. Go into settings and turn off "Cellular Data" (you cant miss it). That will make sure your phone does not access data through the cellular network. You would still have access to Wifi (in case you stumble across anywhere that has WiFi or choose to buy Wifi on the ship).

Some people mistakenly think they need to be in Airplane Mode. Airplane mode does turn off your data but it also turns off everything else (texting and phonecalls). Airplane Mode makes your phone basically an Ipod with no connection to the outside world.

Just turn off Cellular Data in settings and you're good to go.

I did as others suggested when I cruised - turned off Data and communicated via text message (I called my provider before I left to add an International Texting Plan which gave me unlimited texting for X amount of dollars). If I was in port, sometimes they had WiFi or I bought WiFi.

Edited by TheManitoban

Exactly as you said. Go into settings and turn off "Cellular Data" (you cant miss it). That will make sure your phone does not access data through the cellular network. You would still have access to Wifi (in case you stumble across anywhere that has WiFi or choose to buy Wifi on the ship).

Some people mistakenly think they need to be in Airplane Mode. Airplane mode does turn off your data but it also turns off everything else (texting and phonecalls). Airplane Mode makes your phone basically an Ipod with no connection to the outside world.

Just turn off Cellular Data in settings and you're good to go.

I did as others suggested when I cruised - turned off Data and communicated via text message (I called my provider before I left to add an International Texting Plan which gave me unlimited texting for X amount of dollars). If I was in port, sometimes they had WiFi or I bought WiFi.

Thank you! And that's a good idea about getting an International Texting Plan from our provider before we go. :)

AT&T has a free plan for Mexico that can be added to your phone plan. It provides unlimited text and talk to the US/Canada. It currently provides a GB of data.

Signed up in January before our last cruise. Done 1,2,3 - no charges on bill from Mexico

Did you sign up online? Do you happen to remember the name of the plan?

Thanks!

Did not do it online, I called. In contacts there is a AT&T #. I didn't even know the plan existed. I just told them I was taking a cruise to Mexico and wondering what my options were, and they took it from there. Plan added immediately.

Safe sailing

Did not do it online, I called. In contacts there is a AT&T #. I didn't even know the plan existed. I just told them I was taking a cruise to Mexico and wondering what my options were, and they took it from there. Plan added immediately.

Safe sailing

It can be done online too. Go to you myatt app or account and you can add it under international for $0!

Did you sign up online? Do you happen to remember the name of the plan?

Thanks!

The plan is at&t Mexico Roaming Bonus. It's free if you have a mobile share plan, mobile share value plan or at&t unlimited plan. You can add it online and get unlimited talk and texting plus 1 gb of data--free! I added it for our cruise next week, but think I probably should turn off cellular data when we're at sea, since it applies only to roaming while in Mexico. Has anyone else done this with this plan?

I did the AT & T cruise plan last year when I sailed the Dawn. You pay a fee that is good for one month. I was not able to use the phone on the ship while at sea but was able to use it when we docked in Bermuda or any other port with no additional charges.

Unfortunately AT & T is affiliated with RCI.

Have a great cruise.