Unrest closes French side of St. Maarten 03-10-16

audome78

Any news about St Martin and the unrest...

I did Bernard's tour, which included stops at Orient Beach and other places around French St-Martin, on March 15th and there was no sign of any troubles. And I was looking because I had heard these same reports.

I don't know that "all is back to normal" is totally accurate. I read in the online version of the local newspaper that progress was made and another meeting of the people involved was due late this week. Things could revert, or not, pure spectulation on my part, but with about 40 days to go, I can afford to watch.

I do understand your concern. While we were there, they did say that they would be "hammering this out" for awhile, but that doesn't mean that the protesting and the road blocks are still an issue. I was only discussing this from the aspect of whether or not it would be easy or safe to go back and forth from the Dutch to French side, including Orient. Midweek, you were advised not to do it, but by the weekend, hotels, cruise ships, and car rental companies were saying you would have no problem even though yes, they are still working through the differences.

I do understand your concern. While we were there, they did say that they would be "hammering this out" for awhile, but that doesn't mean that the protesting and the road blocks are still an issue. I was only discussing this from the aspect of whether or not it would be easy or safe to go back and forth from the Dutch to French side, including Orient. Midweek, you were advised not to do it, but by the weekend, hotels, cruise ships, and car rental companies were saying you would have no problem even though yes, they are still working through the differences.

Point taken, 39 more days.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I will be there tomorrow. I hope all is well.

If you are able to report back to this post, it would be so helpful. We're due in St Martin next week.

Thx!

Also, if you are on the Gem: any update on the norovirus concerns?

If you are able to report back to this post, it would be so helpful. We're due in St Martin next week.

Thx!

I believe it's under control. No worries on board.

Thx!

Capt reporting business as usual in Saint Martin french side as of today