Need advice picking hotel (LAX or Long Beach)

dom89

I have booked a cruise to Hawaii on Carnival leaving November 26th. I plan on flying the day before to LAX. I actually have work the Friday after Thanksgiving. To not use up another vacation day I will be leaving at night. That means that I will arrive around midnight, LA time. I don't want to be at the port early because I have read the bad reviews about having to wait outside of the dome. I think arriving to port around 2pm should be fine.

Since I will arrive late, would you book a hotel near LAX or Long Beach? Since I don't want to get to port early I figured I could do some sight seeing during the morning, if possible. What would you guys do? If going to Long Beach, what are my options for transportation so late at night?

Thank you!

Spend the night in Long Beach. You'll miss the traffic. Lots of threads about the different hotels. The closest are the Queen Mary and the Maya.

Drop your bags off (could even check in) at 9:30 and then take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium of the Pacific. The bus stop is in the parking lot, under the trees.

Mom and Sis had little wait today at 12:30-1 in Long Beach.

All the players are available at LAX. Super Shuttle, Execucar ($55), Primetime, IIRC Uber or Lyft just got the OK to pick fares up. Taxi will run about $75.

Edited by SadieN

If you are arriving at Midnight, I would not go all the way to Long Beach.

Just stay at the airport.

We stay at the Marriott right outside the airport. You certainly have a lot of other choices.

The next day I would take a private car over to the port.

We use execucar at http://www.exucar.com

Carnival does leave out of Long Beach and to me that is a nice area (when ships leave out of San Pedro many locals on this board say stay at San Pedro which I detest and we stay at Long Beach) but given you are arriving at Midnight I would just stay close to LAX and get a good nights sleep.

Remember that you need to board 90 minutes before your cruise.

I would arrive around 1:00 PM but you certainly can arrive at 2:00 PM as you posted.

Keith

Spend the night in Long Beach. You'll miss the traffic. Lots of threads about the different hotels. The closest are the Queen Mary and the Maya.

Drop your bags off (could even check in) at 9:30 and then take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium of the Pacific. The bus stop is in the parking lot, under the trees.

Mom and Sis had little wait today at 12:30-1 in Long Beach.

All the players are available at LAX. Super Shuttle, Execucar ($55), Primetime, IIRC Uber or Lyft just got the OK to pick fares up. Taxi will run about $75.

How do you get exucar for $55? When I go to their site it's $65

If you are arriving at Midnight, I would not go all the way to Long Beach.

Just stay at the airport.

We stay at the Marriott right outside the airport. You certainly have a lot of other choices.

The next day I would take a private car over to the port.

We use execucar at http://www.exucar.com

Carnival does leave out of Long Beach and to me that is a nice area (when ships leave out of San Pedro many locals on this board say stay at San Pedro which I detest and we stay at Long Beach) but given you are arriving at Midnight I would just stay close to LAX and get a good nights sleep.

Remember that you need to board 90 minutes before your cruise.

I would arrive around 1:00 PM but you certainly can arrive at 2:00 PM as you posted.

Keith

Ship leaves at 430 so I need to be be there by 3. I guess 1 does seem a bit better to have extra time for any incidentals.

I had not thought about getting a good night's rest. That does make me lean more towards LAX. I'm looking at the Embassy Suites North since they are a bit cheaper than Marriott.

I have booked a cruise to Hawaii on Carnival leaving November 26th. I plan on flying the day before to LAX. I actually have work the Friday after Thanksgiving. To not use up another vacation day I will be leaving at night. That means that I will arrive around midnight, LA time. I don't want to be at the port early because I have read the bad reviews about having to wait outside of the dome. I think arriving to port around 2pm should be fine.

Since I will arrive late, would you book a hotel near LAX or Long Beach? Since I don't want to get to port early I figured I could do some sight seeing during the morning, if possible. What would you guys do? If going to Long Beach, what are my options for transportation so late at night?

Thank you!

How do you plan on "sightseeing" and what do you want to see? The LA area is fairly widespread and, even if you wanted to get to the pier by 2:00 pm and were staying at LAX, you really would not have a lot of time. Say you got checked out of the hotel by 9:00 am and got a rental car...You would have to figure in another half hour on each end to figure for shuttle to the rental car office, checking out the car and then returning the car and getting a shuttle or taxi to the pier...So, your window is only from 9:30 to about 12:30 (have to assume traffic and figure an hour from LAX area to Long Beach)...So, three hours...But driving to, say, Hollywood/Universal area from LAX, you'd have to add in another 45 minutes or so each way...So, you may only have about an hour and a half of actual sightseeing time...

I guess you could save a little time and hire a tour company to pick you up at the hotel, take you on a half-day sightseeing tour and drop you at the pier, but it will be expensive and a lot of your time will still be taken up on the freeways...A short alternative might be to leave your luggage with the hotel bellhops, grab a taxi (or Uber) to Santa Monica, walk around the Third Street and Pier area, grab another cab to Venice Beach, walk around the Boardwalk, then grab a third cab back to the hotel to pick up your luggage, then yet another cab to he pier...You'll see a little bit, but really not much on a Saturday morning...

Were it ME, I would taxi, Uber or shuttle directly to a hotel in Long Beach upon arrival, no matter how late, I would check into a good and well placed Long Beach hotel (Short list: Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric, Renaissance, Westin, Residence Inn Downtown, Maya Doubletree or Hilton)...Then, in the morning, no stress over logistics...You've got from whenever you wake up until you want to go to the pier to "sightsee" Long Beach...Go visit the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary...The Aquarium opens at 9:00 am...If you are staying at one of the Hyatts or the Renaissance, you could walk there in a couple of minutes...From the Westin or the Hilton, only a slightly longer walk...From the Residence Inn or Maya, you could grab the free shuttle over the bridge...Then you could take the shuttle across the bridge to the Queen Mary (option: You could return to the hotel for your luggage or you could bring it with you and drop it at the Carnival terminal BEFORE touring the QM--it's right next door)...Then head over to the terminal whenever you are ready...

Staying at LAX, you may feel a little rushed or stressed trying to fit in LA-area sightseeing...Staying in Long Beach will be far more relaxing...Leave the LA sightseeing for another trip when you've left yourself more time...

I've noticed LA is very spaced out so I would only do things around the hotel. I haven't picked what I want to do yet. It was just a thought since I didn't want to wait outside of the port in line. I figured doing any kind of sight seeing would be a better way to spend my time. For example, if I stayed in LAX I could take a shuttle to Manhattan Beach for a bit.

The thing I'm mostly concerned with is what are my transport options so late at night, especially since taxi/private transfer can be a bit more than a shared shuttle. I wanted to weigh out each option.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by dom89

I've noticed LA is very spaced out so I would only do things around the hotel. I haven't picked what I want to do yet. It was just a thought since I didn't want to wait outside of the port in line. I figured doing any kind of sight seeing would be a better way to spend my time. For example, if I stayed in LAX I could take a shuttle to Manhattan Beach for a bit.

The thing I'm mostly concerned with is what are my transport options so late at night, especially since taxi/private transfer can be a bit more than a shared shuttle. I wanted to weigh out each option.

Manhattan Beach is not exactly what most would consider "sightseeing"...It's just a Southern California beach town...Really just a bunch of suburban shops, bars and restaurants...with a beach...The main advantage for having the bus line from the LAX hotels along Century is to give the people staying there an option for good restaurants and a little nightlife and some shopping--of which there is virtually nothing along Century at LAX. But as a "sightseeing" destination, it would really be disappointing, I am afraid...

The good thing about the Carnival Pier location is that there IS quite a bit nearby for tourists. The Queen Mary is permanently anchored right next door. There is a free shuttle, called the Passport", run by the City of Long Beach, which will shuttle you all over the Downtown Long Beach area--from the Queen Mary to the Hotel Maya to the Aquarium of the Pacific to Pine Avenue to Shoreline Village (touristy shopping area at the Marina)...So, you really don't have to wait at the ship if you don't want to...There's plenty to see and do--with free, convenient access--all in the immediate area...so, no stress about getting to the ship whenever it is that you want to board.

As to transportation so late at night, LAX is one of the five busiest airports in the world...Flights come in and go out virtually around the clock...There are ALWAYS taxi and shuttle options...If you have any question or fear, reserve a shuttle or taxi or limo...A shared shuttle for two from LAX to a Long Beach hotel should only be about $34 (per Super Shuttle), a private car from Execucar, $58...and, yes, they will come pick you up whatever time the plane lands (I've had shuttles pick me up at LAX at 2:00 am!)

As far as the difference between a shared shuttle and the private car is that the shared shuttle may waste time waiting or circling to pick up others to fill the van at the airport or it may make a stop or two at other hotels before dropping you off...Late on a Friday night, saving that time would be well worth the additional $24 to me...Another thing...At that time of the night, the drive to Long Beach should be relatively quick--like a half an hour--since there should be very little traffic...

Edited by Bruin Steve

How do you get exucar for $55? When I go to their site it's $65

Ship leaves at 430 so I need to be be there by 3. I guess 1 does seem a bit better to have extra time for any incidentals.

I had not thought about getting a good night's rest. That does make me lean more towards LAX. I'm looking at the Embassy Suites North since they are a bit cheaper than Marriott.

An Embassys Suites is always nice and does include a nice breakfast.

Keith

Manhattan Beach is not exactly what most would consider "sightseeing"...It's just a Southern California beach town...Really just a bunch of suburban shops, bars and restaurants...with a beach...The main advantage for having the bus line from the LAX hotels along Century is to give the people staying there an option for good restaurants and a little nightlife and some shopping--of which there is virtually nothing along Century at LAX. But as a "sightseeing" destination, it would really be disappointing, I am afraid...

The good thing about the Carnival Pier location is that there IS quite a bit nearby for tourists. The Queen Mary is permanently anchored right next door. There is a free shuttle, called the Passport", run by the City of Long Beach, which will shuttle you all over the Downtown Long Beach area--from the Queen Mary to the Hotel Maya to the Aquarium of the Pacific to Pine Avenue to Shoreline Village (touristy shopping area at the Marina)...So, you really don't have to wait at the ship if you don't want to...There's plenty to see and do--with free, convenient access--all in the immediate area...so, no stress about getting to the ship whenever it is that you want to board.

As to transportation so late at night, LAX is one of the five busiest airports in the world...Flights come in and go out virtually around the clock...There are ALWAYS taxi and shuttle options...If you have any question or fear, reserve a shuttle or taxi or limo...A shared shuttle for two from LAX to a Long Beach hotel should only be about $34 (per Super Shuttle), a private car from Execucar, $58...and, yes, they will come pick you up whatever time the plane lands (I've had shuttles pick me up at LAX at 2:00 am!)

As far as the difference between a shared shuttle and the private car is that the shared shuttle may waste time waiting or circling to pick up others to fill the van at the airport or it may make a stop or two at other hotels before dropping you off...Late on a Friday night, saving that time would be well worth the additional $24 to me...Another thing...At that time of the night, the drive to Long Beach should be relatively quick--like a half an hour--since there should be very little traffic...

Thanks for pointing out my transport options. I wasn't aware that shared services were available that late at night. It does make Long Beach look more appealing for my sightseeing. How do you get the $58 for execucar?

Edited by dom89

Thanks for pointing out my transport options. I wasn't aware that shared services were available that late at night. It does make Long Beach look more appealing for my sightseeing. How do you get the $58 for execucar?

Go to the SuperShuttle booking site and input LAX and your destination in Long Beach and number of passengers...various options and prices will come up--including both the shared shuttle AND the "Execucar Express" service...

Click on the Execucar...

BTW, Execucar is the private car service run by SuperShuttle...Cars are typically those black Lincoln Town Cars...nice and roomy...private service for you...The difference between the more expensive ordinary Execucar and the cheaper Execucar Express is that Execucar has a "meet and Greet" at the luggage carousel while, with the Express, you have a phone number and call Execucar as you get your luggage off the carousel...and they drive around and pick you up at the curb...

Go to the SuperShuttle booking site and input LAX and your destination in Long Beach and number of passengers...various options and prices will come up--including both the shared shuttle AND the "Execucar Express" service...

Click on the Execucar...

BTW, Execucar is the private car service run by SuperShuttle...Cars are typically those black Lincoln Town Cars...nice and roomy...private service for you...The difference between the more expensive ordinary Execucar and the cheaper Execucar Express is that Execucar has a "meet and Greet" at the luggage carousel while, with the Express, you have a phone number and call Execucar as you get your luggage off the carousel...and they drive around and pick you up at the curb...

From LAX or the cruise port I am coming up with $61 for express and $100 for meet and greet.

Nevermind, just saw that they have coupons. That brings it down to $55 for express

Edited by dom89

I would agree with Bruin Steve. At that time of night, traffic will be light. I didn't check on what day that is.... Guessing that is the day after Thanksgiving. If that's the case, hopefully that is a quiet day for LAX (I've been there the day before and two days before the holiday and it's a mess).

You'll be near the port the next morning and won't have to deal with rush hour traffic. I'm the type who wants to be on the ship as early as possible but if you want to do something, there's the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Thanks everyone. After looking at all the suggested hotels and pricing out transfers, it came out cheaper to book near LAX and head out the morning after, drop our bags and then explore Long Beach for a bit.