Can't use power outlet strips?

tbmrt

We use this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The best part is that the plug on the back swivels so it doesn't matter which way the original outlet is. I saw this one recommended the most on the board.

See where it says "Protected"? It has a surge protector and it is not allowed.

I always travel with a couple of these..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016IXEWG/ref=psdc_761520_t3_B00O1AKB2C

This is what I use. On our last cruise I came into the room and found a long white power strip and our steward told me that we could use the Belkin so he brought in the power strip. Which was better since it had more plugs. :)

This is what I use. On our last cruise I came into the room and found a long white power strip and our steward told me that we could use the Belkin so he brought in the power strip. Which was better since it had more plugs. :)

Well now you know that it is a fire hazard and strictly forbidden. While the stewards might not know the difference (but they should) I hope you leave it at home.

I found a power strip without a surge and it has 4 usb outlets

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0WK5DE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0061jToXN4%2B5L._SL1500_.jpg

Yes I saw that one on Amazon and thought the same thing, but when you read the product description, it say it's circuit protected which I think means surge protected. I don't think it's going to be easy to find one with electrical outlets and USB ports that isn't surge protected. I went into Best Buy and asked to see ones that weren't surge protected and with the USB ports and the employee said those would be hard to find.

I've used this one for years on every cruise I've sailed; it's wonderful! However, I would rather be safe and hope that others would also follow the rules and purchase something with no surge protection. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Surprised to read somewhere this morning that power outlet strips may be confiscated. Always brought one to charge our phones, etc. onboard.

Is this information correct? If so, alternative?

Tx

You can bring a power strip as long as it does not include a surge protector. You can find them at any place that sells computer supplies.

Edited by zqvol

I have one of these. Works great for us. I put it in my carryon and never have a problem getting it on board.

So you're going to continue to bring something that is a fire hazard just because you have before? That is pretty irresponsible. What part of surge protectors aren't allowed confuses you?

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Based on this info, it seems that surge protection is outlawed, but circuit protection is still ok. Admittedly, I'm not an EE, but in my research it seems that the difference between the 2 is:

Circuit breaker - protects against overdraw (too much current)

Surge protector - protects against voltage spikes

A surge protector will let an item that is plugged in continue to draw power, even if it is drawing too much and could lead to a fire. It only protects against a shot of high voltage (power spike) coming through the power line and damaging your device. A circuit breaker/protector will shut the power off if there is too much power being drawn through the outlet. This would then prevent a potential fire.

So, in my simple mind, from a cruise ship perspective, circuit breaker/protector = good, surge protector = bad. So, when looking at these power strips, we would want to definitely avoid any that have surge protection, but circuit protectors without surge protectors should still be ok.

The problem that I'm finding is that all the cool power strips have surge protection too. :(

So you're going to continue to bring something that is a fire hazard just because you have before? That is pretty irresponsible. What part of surge protectors aren't allowed confuses you?

Please quote the part where I said I would continue to bring one on...

Please quote the part where I said I would continue to bring one on...

I have one of these. Works great for us. I put it in my carryon and never have a problem getting it on board.

Well it doesn't say that you won't. Seems like you're boasting that you have gotten away with it before and have every intention on continuing to do so. Almost recommending others do the same - even providing the link so they can order it.

If that's not what you meant, then I apologize. Perhaps your response should have been worded differently in that case.

There are a few topics I am passionate about and this is one of them. Fire is no joke at sea and I would like for myself, my family, and everyone else to have as safe of a cruise as possible.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Well it doesn't say that you won't. Seems like you're boasting that you have gotten away with it before and have every intention on continuing to do so. Almost recommending others do the same - even providing the link so they can order it.

If that's not what you meant, then I apologize. Perhaps your response should have been worded differently in that case.

There are a few topics I am passionate about and this is one of them. Fire is no joke at sea and I would like for myself, my family, and everyone else to have as safe of a cruise as possible.

I did not provide the link. I quoted someone who did. Regardless of the amount of passion you have for a topic, it's probably best not to assume something that is not written. My post speaks of past experiences. Nothing more.

I did not provide the link. I quoted someone who did. Regardless of the amount of passion you have for a topic, it's probably best not to assume something that is not written. My post speaks of past experiences. Nothing more.

So are you going to continue to bring the hazardous surge protector?

Based on this info, it seems that surge protection is outlawed, but circuit protection is still ok. Admittedly, I'm not an EE, but in my research it seems that the difference between the 2 is:

Circuit breaker - protects against overdraw (too much current)

Surge protector - protects against voltage spikes

A surge protector will let an item that is plugged in continue to draw power, even if it is drawing too much and could lead to a fire. It only protects against a shot of high voltage (power spike) coming through the power line and damaging your device. A circuit breaker/protector will shut the power off if there is too much power being drawn through the outlet. This would then prevent a potential fire.

So, in my simple mind, from a cruise ship perspective, circuit breaker/protector = good, surge protector = bad. So, when looking at these power strips, we would want to definitely avoid any that have surge protection, but circuit protectors without surge protectors should still be ok.

The problem that I'm finding is that all the cool power strips have surge protection too. :(

Think I might have found a couple that are cool, and don't have surge protection, but do have USB ports. The description doesn't say anything about surge protection in these, but if anyone has more info, it would be helpful!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Uber-3-Grounded-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-Green-and-Blue-25113/205745666

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-2-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-White-13464/205727432?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-205727432-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Eye-Indicator-2-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Power-Station-Tap-White-25337/205728210?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205727432-_-205728210-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merkury-Innovations-3-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-3-1-Amp-Power-Charging-Station-Black-MI-WC316-101/206647515?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-206647515-_-N

So are you going to continue to bring the hazardous surge protector?

No, I am not. Your reply to me assumed that I am someone who does not care about how what I do affects others. Not everyone is just out for themselves. We all here are humans and make mistakes and sometimes are just ignorant (meaning not knowledgeable) on occasion. I learned something new today. Having said that, it is perfectly okay for me to share and discuss my past experiences without being called irresponsible. I'm sure there must be topics that you are not fully informed on and make decisions about based on what you currently know.

This forum is for people to share and learn. Or so I thought...

No, I am not. Your reply to me assumed that I am someone who does not care about how what I do affects others. Not everyone is just out for themselves. We all here are humans and make mistakes and sometimes are just ignorant (meaning not knowledgeable) on occasion. I learned something new today. Having said that, it is perfectly okay for me to share and discuss my past experiences without being called irresponsible. I'm sure there must be topics that you are not fully informed on and make decisions about based on what you currently know.

This forum is for people to share and learn. Or so I thought...

I'm glad that you learned something today and I appreciate you being honest. I get so tired of people on here blatantly disregarding the rules and I am sorry to lump you into that category. The way I read your post (and possibly others as well) is that it basically said "I've used these for years and never got got caught so I'll keep on doing it." Which trust me, people say all the time about various things.

I guess I was expecting to see something along the lines of "I have been using these for years and had no idea that they weren't allowed because no one ever said anything to me. Now that I know, I will have to find another way to charge our devices." If that's what you meant.

You're right that this site is to help and for the most part I think it does as evidenced by your post. Sometimes it's hard to convey things online vs speaking to someone face to face so misunderstandings are bound to occur.

Anyway, good luck in finding a replacement power strip. A lot of people go with just a simple 1 to 3 plug bar which has practically zero chance of getting confiscated, and poses no threat to the electrical system.

I hope you accept my apology and that we can move forward in a positive fashion. Thank you for following the rules and helping to keep all of us and our loved ones safe!