less than 90 days to go!

dbncsuvet

I can't believe I am less than 3 months away from my first river cruise aboard the SS Catherine in Provence! I am getting so excited and I am almost finished with the French course on Duolingo.

I have everything booked now including train tickets, except for one thing. I need transportation from the end of the cruise at Avignon to Les Baux, where we are staying for one night, then transportation back to Avignon TGV station the next day. Does anyone have experience with getting a taxi after a cruise? Is that something the cruise director should be able to help me set up during the cruise or do I need to look into something beforehand? I would prefer that to renting a car.

Also, I am looking for recommendations for good restaurants in Paris that are not too high-end, like great cafes or brasseries where we can get good traditional French cuisine. Previously we were going to try to do a Michelin star restaurant while there but we decided we will get so much gourmet food on the cruise and are spending so much money there that we would rather eat at less expensive more traditional places. Also, I don't want to have to make reservations because we will only be there for 3 days and I don't want our sighseeing to be restricted by reservation times. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I leave for my first River cruise in just

over 2 weeks......actually I fly out 2 weeks from Tuesday:D

I can't believe I am less than 3 months away from my first river cruise aboard the SS Catherine in Provence! I am getting so excited and I am almost finished with the French course on Duolingo.

I have everything booked now including train tickets, except for one thing. I need transportation from the end of the cruise at Avignon to Les Baux, where we are staying for one night, then transportation back to Avignon TGV station the next day. Does anyone have experience with getting a taxi after a cruise? Is that something the cruise director should be able to help me set up during the cruise or do I need to look into something beforehand? I would prefer that to renting a car.

Also, I am looking for recommendations for good restaurants in Paris that are not too high-end, like great cafes or brasseries where we can get good traditional French cuisine. Previously we were going to try to do a Michelin star restaurant while there but we decided we will get so much gourmet food on the cruise and are spending so much money there that we would rather eat at less expensive more traditional places. Also, I don't want to have to make reservations because we will only be there for 3 days and I don't want our sighseeing to be restricted by reservation times. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you!

C'est magnifique! I remember how excited you were about this cruise last year, and how long the wait seemed at that time...so glad it's almost here for you! You are going to love the SS Catherine. Wish we were there again...

The CD will certainly assist you with finding a taxi at the end of the cruise. Suggest you talk to them in the first few days for specific recommendations. They are a great source of information. No experience with cabbing it to Les Baux, but ask them whether it's the best way. Also, consider asking your hotel for transportation recommendations. They might set something up for you that would be reasonably priced.

Where are you staying in Paris? Your hotel concierge may be the best source for local recommendations, and you could even try to contact them in advance for suggestions. One place we really enjoyed near our hotel in Dec 2014 was Chez Andre. Traditional food, not too many tourists, lots of fun. But we also wandered the streets and just popped into places for lunch if things looked good, and that always worked too. Given the type of place you're looking for, there should be a ton of options within walking distance of wherever you're staying in Paris.

Have a great time!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I leave for my first River cruise in just

over 2 weeks......actually I fly out 2 weeks from Tuesday:D

Can't wait to hear about it, Lois...have a wonderful time! We leave day after tomorrow, thank Heavens, because it's supposed to snow on Sunday. :eek:

Can't wait to hear about it, Lois...have a wonderful time! We leave day after tomorrow, thank Heavens, because it's supposed to snow on Sunday. :eek:

Thanks....hope you have a great cruise too:)

We're flying into FLL and driving to port of Miami Sunday...how bad is spring break traffic?

Horrible! I can't wait til everybody goes back home and we get our state back. And that stretch of 95 is a nightmare on a good day.

Have fun on your cruise!

C'est magnifique! I remember how excited you were about this cruise last year, and how long the wait seemed at that time...so glad it's almost here for you! You are going to love the SS Catherine. Wish we were there again...

The CD will certainly assist you with finding a taxi at the end of the cruise. Suggest you talk to them in the first few days for specific recommendations. They are a great source of information. No experience with cabbing it to Les Baux, but ask them whether it's the best way. Also, consider asking your hotel for transportation recommendations. They might set something up for you that would be reasonably priced.

Where are you staying in Paris? Your hotel concierge may be the best source for local recommendations, and you could even try to contact them in advance for suggestions. One place we really enjoyed near our hotel in Dec 2014 was Chez Andre. Traditional food, not too many tourists, lots of fun. But we also wandered the streets and just popped into places for lunch if things looked good, and that always worked too. Given the type of place you're looking for, there should be a ton of options within walking distance of wherever you're staying in Paris.

Have a great time!

Thanks JP! I had written down your suggestion about Chez Andre in the past :) We are staying at the Plaza Tour Eiffel in the Trocadero area (16 arrondissement). I have read that there is a delicious boulangerie/patisserie near the hotel and am sure we will frequent that (too bad for our waistlines ha!) and will ask the hotel for more recommendations when we are there. I am not limited to our hotel area though as we plan on doing a lot of walking and sightseeing, so who knows where we will be when we get hungry! Do a lot of places have menus outside so you can see what is available?

Horrible! I can't wait til everybody goes back home and we get our state back. And that stretch of 95 is a nightmare on a good day.

Have fun on your cruise!

Shoot and add to that this mega music festival with untold how many head-banging bands in Bayfront Park this week-end. Good thing daughter lands Sunday at 10 am. Gives us 6 hours to get to port!! I'm glad I'm leaving tomorrow...we're looking at possible 6" of snow Sunday.

Shoot and add to that this mega music festival with untold how many head-banging bands in Bayfront Park this week-end. Good thing daughter lands Sunday at 10 am. Gives us 6 hours to get to port!! I'm glad I'm leaving tomorrow...we're looking at possible 6" of snow Sunday.

Bon Voyage Hydrokitty! Latest forecast isn't so bad, but you're best to well away before it starts anyway.