Navigator Internet

As Bob said - not Voom.

I just disembarked the Navigator this past Sunday and had prepaid for the unlimited Internet plan. It is HORRIBLY SLOW. Some days/times I wasn't even able to connect/get a usable speed. Other times it was slightly better than dial-up, and occasionally it would almost work appropriately (for slow sat based Internet). Overall, I was able to use it for what I NEEDED to use it for, but that was about it.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

If the internet is slow on the ship, do you think it is worth purchasing an Internet package or just use wi-fi at the ports and not worry about it on sea days? We have Android phones and tablet.

Also, does anyone know if you can use the text messaging feature on your phones at sea?

I'm a little confused about cell / internet service aboard ship, at ports and at sea. Thanks for any guidance.

Linda

04/10/16 Navigator of the Seas (6N Western Caribbean)

If the internet is slow on the ship, do you think it is worth purchasing an Internet package or just use wi-fi at the ports and not worry about it on sea days? We have Android phones and tablet.

Also, does anyone know if you can use the text messaging feature on your phones at sea?

I'm a little confused about cell / internet service aboard ship, at ports and at sea. Thanks for any guidance.

Linda

The ship's internet will work for text messaging if you use an internet based text message app, such as iMessage or WhatsApp. However, Navigator's internet us currently too slow for high bandwidth apps such as Facetime, Periscope, etc.

Linda

My son was just on the 6 nt Navigator itinerary. He did text message me from the ship at sea and I received it. However, when I responded, he did not get any of those. So the texting is not reliable. We have Verizon. He found it easier to just call a couple of times through the week but he did have to go up on deck vs. calling from his cabin to get a signal. We are leaving on the Navigator next weekend and I have checked several options just to check in at home. I am going to add an International package to my phone for $40, which includes 100 minutes of talk time and some text messages and data. Depending on who your service is through, you may check with them to see what they offer. Anytime we have been on cruises and I have tried to use the wifi to message, it has been very slow. (I use iMessage) Also, some of the ports may be included in your plan, like San Juan works off of my plan. So I will probably check in while we are there. Depending on how you want to use the Internet, my opinion is that the onboard packages are very expensive and not worth the money.

Edited by TCBFlash

We were on the NoS earlier this month. The internet is slow, but usable. I find that with the purchase of a day at a time, that I care less about speed, since I have am not trying to conserve minutes.

We also have the S7, but, we didn't pick them up until we got home. Love that phone. The battery life is amazing.

Linda

Easiest way to know is put your phone in airplane mode turn the wifi back on and try and send a text. If you have Verizon use their message app and it will work

Thanks to everyone who replied to my internet and text messaging question. We have Verizon and plan to add the day-to-day International plan. We'd like to use is mainly for texting on board with other family members, checking email and Facebook.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my internet and text messaging question. We have Verizon and plan to add the day-to-day International plan. We'd like to use is mainly for texting on board with other family members, checking email and Facebook.

Just keep track of your data usage with the Verizon plan while at sea. You might be surprised at how much data you use with Facebook and email.

We were on the NoS earlier this month. The internet is slow, but usable. I find that with the purchase of a day at a time, that I care less about speed, since I have am not trying to conserve minutes.

We also have the S7, but, we didn't pick them up until we got home. Love that phone. The battery life is amazing.

I only wanted internet for a day or two to confirm non RCCL excursions the day before arriving at that port. What would the cost be per day, and can you just buy one day at a time?

Also, we haven't been on RCCL for a number of years. If we purchase wi fi, can we use our tablets anywhere . . . or do you have to go to their computer area and sign on and sit there for your messages?

And, if you have WiFi, can you also use Skype on your tablet for telephone calls?

Thanks,

diane

Thanks.

I only wanted internet for a day or two to confirm non RCCL excursions the day before arriving at that port. What would the cost be per day, and can you just buy one day at a time?

Also, we haven't been on RCCL for a number of years. If we purchase wi fi, can we use our tablets anywhere . . . or do you have to go to their computer area and sign on and sit there for your messages?

And, if you have WiFi, can you also use Skype on your tablet for telephone calls?

Thanks,

diane

Thanks.

The cost of a single 24-hour period of internet was $40.

You can use the WiFi anywhere on the ship.

Skype may or may not work, depending on how busy the internet is on the ship.

The cost of a single 24-hour period of internet was $40.

You can use the WiFi anywhere on the ship.

Skype may or may not work, depending on how busy the internet is on the ship.

I'm going to be on Explorer in about 2 weeks' time, and I know that it doesn't have the VOOM internet (similar to Navigator). The thing I have been struggling to find out is ANY pricing information. Online they are letting us pre-order the $40/day unlimited package for 4-devices. The thing is, we don't need anywhere near 4-devices.

I have seen that the cost of single 24-hour period is $40, and someone else said something about 1 device being $22.50/day (I'm assuming this is for the unlimited package).

Can anyone confirm these prices? Or any other price options (particularly a '2-device' option).

We are on a 24-night cruise so the whole cruise at $40/day is completely unacceptable. But perhaps after the first 10-12 days (when we start having almost all sea-days) we will consider getting an unlimited package for the remaining time... but it's always good to budget in advance if you can! Thanks so much!!