Your favorite deck on Westerdam / Oosterdam?

KathiB

We are currently looking at booking the Westerdam for an Alaska cruise on August 13 out of Seattle. We are booking two cabins, a veranda for us parents, and an inside for our grown daughters. We are looking at forward and aft cabins in the VE and VD (veranda) category and the M and L (inside category on the Rotterdam deck 7, and forward and aft VD and VC (veranda) and L and K (inside) on the Upper Veranda deck 6. Also starting to consider deck 4, the Upper Promenade, once again looking at aft as there are no mid ship insides.

Are there any pros and cons you can offer on the Rotterdam deck vs. Upper Veranda deck vs. Upper Promenade? Any pros and cons for forward vs. aft? I don't think the port or starboard side really matters for Alaska but if you have any opinions go ahead and share. In general do you prefer decks, 4, 6, or 7? We are only looking at veranda and inside cabinets. Thanks!

We prefer mid-ship staterooms for a smoother ride, as my spouse is prone to sea sickness. Having said that, however, I don't think you can go far wrong (fore or aft) on any of the 3 Decks you mentioned. We also prefer starboard for northbound cruises to Alaska, but if yours is a round-trip (as our last 4 out of both Seattle and Vancouver have been) you'll be good either side. I hope you enjoy the Westerdam as much as we have.

Smooth sailing!

Thank you both. I should have mentioned that there are very few mid ship cabins on the decks we are looking at. And we want our veranda cabin to be somewhat close to our daughter's inside cabin. Also we are hoping not to spend a fortune so we are concentrating, most likely, on the aft locations. More opinions are welcome!

We are currently looking at booking the Westerdam for an Alaska cruise on August 13 out of Seattle. We are booking two cabins, a veranda for us parents, and an inside for our grown daughters. We are looking at forward and aft cabins in the VE and VD (veranda) category and the M and L (inside category on the Rotterdam deck 7, and forward and aft VD and VC (veranda) and L and K (inside) on the Upper Veranda deck 6. Also starting to consider deck 4, the Upper Promenade, once again looking at aft as there are no mid ship insides.

Are there any pros and cons you can offer on the Rotterdam deck vs. Upper Veranda deck vs. Upper Promenade? Any pros and cons for forward vs. aft? I don't think the port or starboard side really matters for Alaska but if you have any opinions go ahead and share. In general do you prefer decks, 4, 6, or 7? We are only looking at veranda and inside cabinets. Thanks!

We did the Oosterdam out of Seattle a few years ago. If you can get one of the Aft facing verandas (we were on deck 5) the balcony is huge and no wind. Best cabin ever.

Thanks, all the aft cabins are gone. The large square inside cabins on the main deck are available but we would prefer to not be 4-6 decks away from our daughters. Not that they are that young but we hope they can pop over to enjoy our veranda. If we are on decks 4, 6, or 7, then it is a bit of a help for them. Hoping to be across the hall or just down the hall from them.

My personal recommendation would be on Deck 4 towards the aft. The Port and Starboard Veranda staterooms on Deck 4, Upper Promenade, are 7.5 ft. in depth and with the exception of true aft facing verandas the widest on the Vista class ships. Since there will be several of you out on the veranda for viewing the extra space will be helpful. There are several VC staterooms aft of the rear elevators. No obstructions from life boats, very quite and it seems as if those elevators are your "own private" lifts as there is never a wait.

Thanks, all the aft cabins are gone. The large square inside cabins on the main deck are available but we would prefer to not be 4-6 decks away from our daughters. Not that they are that young but we hope they can pop over to enjoy our veranda. If we are on decks 4, 6, or 7, then it is a bit of a help for them. Hoping to be across the hall or just down the hall from them.

Not surprising that the aft cabins are gone. We have just completed our first HAL cruise on Deck 7 aft on the Oosterdam. Best cabin ever! I'm sure any balcony would give you great views and there are plenty of common areas to give you additional viewing perspectives.