Maasdam/Lanai Questions

Bailey & Sophie

Do like to have coffee in my robe in the morning and leave the door open occasionally - not good in a lani cabin I'm guessing.

It's never good to leave an outside door open in any cabin, unless you're passing through it.

see - to each his own. Will look at them on our next cruise - Do like to have coffee in my robe in the morning and leave the door open occasionally - not good in a lani cabin I'm guessing.

I've seen people wear robes back and forth to the pool area. If the robe covers everything....go for it!

Well Nancy I am very sorry you took our thoughts as judging your decision as a bad one for you. Several of us said, to each their own and we mean that sincerely. We wish you the spectacular cruise experience you are hoping for.

My motto is that it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! I do not think we are all so jaded, I think we have different experiences and have shared them with you. There are pros and cons and they have been presented here. Lanai cabin are controversial. I hope you enjoy your cruise and can come back here and tell us about your experience. Enjoy Alaska, it's an exceptional place. m--

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. However, your comments (and those from several others that followed) regarding the size of the room, why would anyone want this type of room, etc. had absolutely NOTHING to do with the original question.

I am not worried about spending 14 days in this room - we spent many years backpacking in the wilderness. We spent up to 2 weeks at a time in a 2-man tent. These rooms are SPACIOUS in comaprison - and they include running water in the bathroom!!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. However, your comments (and those from several others that followed) regarding the size of the room, why would anyone want this type of room, etc. had absolutely NOTHING to do with the original question.

I am not worried about spending 14 days in this room - we spent many years backpacking in the wilderness. We spent up to 2 weeks at a time in a 2-man tent. These rooms are SPACIOUS in comaprison - and they include running water in the bathroom!!

LOL!! :D

You are much stronger than I ever will be!! I try to tell my sweetie that my idea of camping involves the words, HAL or Hilton or Marriott, etc.;)

Can't wait to meet you on board the Maasdam!

OP, I wish you a fabulous cruise and I hope you'll come back to give us your opinion on the lanai. We are trying one for the first time on our trip to Canada this fall. The negatives--not as much storage, smaller, etc.--didn't negate what we see as positives--getting easily to the other side of the deck to see the scenery, still being able to step out from our cabin, etc. We love to have our own balcony but thought that it was well worth checking out a lanai, especially since we saved enough to more than pay for four days in Boston. :)

Smooth sailing,

LC

I had a lanai once on Veendam and overall I enjoyed it.

Do be sure you check your own sliding door to confirm if you can see in when the drapes are open and the lights are on. I checked mine and nothing showed. However, there was bother cabin where they had the light on with drapes open, and you could see EVERYTHING in living color, all the way in to the door. I suspect the slider may have been replaced and had less (read no significant) occluding properties.

Another bit of information not mentioned (and this might not relate to you) is the doors are really heavy. I had a hard time opening it. (I am a small lady, and not the strongest in the upper body. I had to brace myself and use my legs to open it.)