Maasdam/Lanai Questions

Bailey & Sophie

We're booked on the Maasdam 14 day Alaska for June 6.

We have a lanai cabin. Since I've only had private balconies I'm wondering about the lanai.

Do others respect the reserved chairs outside our cabin?

And if I want to sit outside and watch the world go by, will I be able to do so or will there be partitions, etc blocking the view?

Thanks, and we are looking forward to a SPECTACULAR trip!!

We're booked on the Maasdam 14 day Alaska for June 6.

We have a lanai cabin. Since I've only had private balconies I'm wondering about the lanai.

Do others respect the reserved chairs outside our cabin?

And if I want to sit outside and watch the world go by, will I be able to do so or will there be partitions, etc blocking the view?

Thanks, and we are looking forward to a SPECTACULAR trip!!

No privacy on Lanai's as they enter into the Promenade Deck where people walk. You have two deck chairs assigned to your cabin and a great view but it gets confusing.

Enjoy Alaska you must be going to Kodiak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no partitions to divide you from anyone else. If I remember correctly, your 2 chairs will have a brass plate on them saying "reserved for cabin # whatever". I think most people respect that.

We did see something funny once. A man took the chair pad off one of the reserved loungers to use on an unreserved chair, so that he had 2 pads on his chair. He must have had a bony backside! Anyway, the man who's chair he had taken it from came out of his Lanai cabin and told him off.

We have had a lanai cabin twice and are booked in one for our April 9 ten night cruise. They are smaller with less storage but love being able to go out the sliders to the cabin's loungers and watch the sea and read our books. Did not have any problem with other cruisers sitting in our loungers.

what about people looking in? Can you leave the curtains open to see out with out people looking in??

During the day is not an issue, at night with lights on in the cabin might be an issue, pull the drapes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on the Maasdam twice. Once in a Lanai cabin and once in a Vista Suite (basically a verandah cabin.) The loungers for the row of Lanai cabins are quite close together, so there is little privacy. If you like to be social, and have neighbors that you enjoy, then it might not be a problem for you. I did find a woman asleep in one of our loungers when I went out to use it - awkward.

Another thing to consider is the steady stream of walkers going around, and around, and around doing their laps on the Promenade Deck at all times of the day, which blocks/interrupts your view and does not make for a quiet place to relax.

One other thing that might be of interest is that there are no fridges in those cabins, and the cabins are smaller than verandah cabins. I believe the Lanai cabins used to be ocean view cabins which were converted. Personally, I much prefer my own balcony.

Hopefully you'll like the Lanai, but thought this info might be helpful in case you are considering switching to another type of cabin.

You can definitely see inside the cabins at night if the cabin lights are on. Simply pulling the drapes shut will prevent others from seeing inside.

We had a lanai for 13 days last October on Maasdam. Less storage is available in the cabin. Walkers weren't really a problem with blocking any views as they were.... walking. Unless someone decides to stand at the railing directly in front of you, it shouldn't be a big problem. We had no trouble with others in the chairs. The more unseasonable the weather, the fewer people will be found on the promenade too.

FWIW, we'll not choose a lanai again, preferring verandahs for their better fit for us. YMMV! :)

We were on the Maasdam last April, first time in a Lanai, loved it. Doing it again in 4 days and the again in September. I can handle walkers, people don't really look in your cabin at night. Middle aged overweight people are not the greatest thing to look at half naked. But, if people want to look at me, knock yourself out! [emoji7] What I really like is the Promenade is non-smoking.

Thanks for all the responses. I don't know how to multi-respond to answers so this will have to do....

mllewis: yes we are going to Kodiak.

Daisyloo: This will be interesting. We are used to the private balconies so being right next to someone else might be a little more "social" that I want if I just want to sit there and read. I'll deal with it. Thanks for the info on the brass plates on the chairs.

esimon: I am a bit worried about people looking in. I like to leave the curtains open at night while the ship is dark and quiet. But NOT if there's the slightest chance that someone might wander by and choose to look in. Nothing to see, but still....ewwww.

lastlook: Unless we get a free upgrade to a suite, changing to a different cabin is not in the works. The lanai was the best choice for us...not an inside room, not a private balcony. It was the best pick for the money this time. We don't use the fridge.

To each their own, which is the wonderful thing about cruising.... and I trust that the OP will enjoy their selection.

But I just don't understand the benefits of the, IMO, high cost of lanai cabins, private balcony, yes, I get that. But one can have the view from and OV with more privacy, quieter rooms, or even the convenience of an OV on Lower Promenade deck just steps from the big porch, or one can have an Inside much cheaper and just steps from the big porch, plus the insides are bigger, more comfortable with more storage space. Why people are willing to pay so much more for a reserved deck chair is something I don't understand..... what am I missing? m--

Why people are willing to pay so much more for a reserved deck chair is something I don't understand..... what am I missing? m--

Whatever you're missing, I'm missing it, too.

You don't even get to decide which side of the ship you want to sit on at any given time, as you're committed to the one where your cabin is.

If the view is more desirable on the other side, you can't switch for a little while. Sometimes crew is working on the tender up above, and has your spot closed off---can't sit there. Or they are varnishing the rail, and/or painting, and the odor drives you away---can't go to the other side.

All this for more money, a more cramped cabin, and less storage than outsides on the same deck have.

You don't even get to decide which side of the ship you want to sit on at any given time, as you're committed to the one where your cabin is.

If the view is more desirable on the other side, you can't switch for a little while. Sometimes crew is working on the tender up above, and has your spot closed off---can't sit there. Or they are varnishing the rail, and/or painting, and the odor drives you away---can't go to the other side.

All this for more money, a more cramped cabin, and less storage than outsides on the same deck have.

.... Good points about the changing environment of the "big porch". Don't get me wrong, I love the "big porch", enjoy walking it, reading, watching sunsets, and yes sitting on the correct side for the conditions of heat, cold, wind, workers, paint smells....yes.

I suspect HAL wanted to reach out to their 'balcony' market considering that Maasdam has so few balconies and they are at such a premium they made this compromise. Oh well, to each their own. It'll be interesting if HAL makes Lanai cabins on other ships. I don't think their new designs have them so they will be unique to the current ships with them and go by the wayside in time with ship turnover and modernizing the fleet.

[in good conscience, I must clarify my 'reading' comment, above: I do bring a book to enjoy in a deck chair, but usually find watching the sea more interesting... I can read a book in an airport or at home!] The sea is mesmerizing. :)

m--

I suspect HAL wanted to reach out to their 'balcony' market considering that Maasdam has so few balconies and they are at such a premium they made this compromise. Oh well, to each their own. It'll be interesting if HAL makes Lanai cabins on other ships.

The first ship to have cabins converted to Lanai was the Veendam, where the vast majority of the cabins were switched. The next ship with conversion was the Rotterdam; I don't know how many of those cabins were converted.

The Maasdam was the last of the ships to undergo conversion to Lanai cabins, but by then HAL decided to go with many fewer lanai cabins than the Veendam did. No more ships underwent this conversion, so that plan was scrapped with (at the time) 5 ships left undone. Who knows why the changeover was ended.

As was quoted , to each their own. We have had the lanai cabins twice and enjoyed them. Yes, you have your own loungers, there are small brackets on the chairs but I suppose would be hard to see if you weren't looking. We had no problems with finding anyone in using the chairs.

You are not right next to your neighbors chairs. Your door wall be separating you distance wise. We found most were like us, lounging, reading and while a good morning or hello was said we didn't find any one annoying.

The lights are on all night outside on the prom deck. So if you have your drapes open it highly unlikely someone can see in. I had DH do the test and he said the only moon he saw was in the sky😄

I hope you enjoy the cabin as much as we did, we loved the no smoking on that deck. Just got off a cruise in a Vista cabin and both sides were smokers with major hacking issues. Hopefully someday they will change that policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As was quoted , to each their own. We have had the lanai cabins twice and enjoyed them. Yes, you have your own loungers, there are small brackets on the chairs but I suppose would be hard to see if you weren't looking. We had no problems with finding anyone in using the chairs.

You are not right next to your neighbors chairs. Your door wall be separating you distance wise. We found most were like us, lounging, reading and while a good morning or hello was said we didn't find any one annoying.

The lights are on all night outside on the prom deck. So if you have your drapes open it highly unlikely someone can see in. I had DH do the test and he said the only moon he saw was in the sky[emoji1]

I hope you enjoy the cabin as much as we did, we loved the no smoking on that deck. Just got off a cruise in a Vista cabin and both sides were smokers with major hacking issues. Hopefully someday they will change that policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great commentary Sandy, as you say, to each their own. As long as you enjoyed that's all that counts. I also agree with the smoking comment!

Happy cruising.

Great commentary Sandy, as you say, to each their own. As long as you enjoyed that's all that counts. I also agree with the smoking comment!

Happy cruising.

Thank you for the smoking comment, I was now aware that the whole Lower Promenade deck is now smoke free; that's certainly a PLUS. m--

At first I loved our Lanai, but then they varnished the railing and the smell came into the cabin and the smell was awful. And then there were the days they lowered the lifeboats to work on them and closed off the area so we couldn't use it. I won't sail in one again even though I loved just opening the door to the deck.

At first I loved our Lanai, but then they varnished the railing and the smell came into the cabin and the smell was awful. And then there were the days they lowered the lifeboats to work on them and closed off the area so we couldn't use it. I won't sail in one again even though I loved just opening the door to the deck.

Your experience was precisely one thing I was thinking about when I posted.

Who could forget your disappointment and difficulties with that cruise.

To each their own, which is the wonderful thing about cruising.... and I trust that the OP will enjoy their selection.

But I just don't understand the benefits of the, IMO, high cost of lanai cabins, private balcony, yes, I get that. But one can have the view from and OV with more privacy, quieter rooms, or even the convenience of an OV on Lower Promenade deck just steps from the big porch, or one can have an Inside much cheaper and just steps from the big porch, plus the insides are bigger, more comfortable with more storage space. Why people are willing to pay so much more for a reserved deck chair is something I don't understand..... what am I missing? m--

Well, thank you very much for your negativity.

First of all, we could NOT afford a private balcony. They are only available in the suite category, at twice the price. I did not want an inside room. The Carribean, yes, because we've been there so many times, but not on our first time for Alaska.

And if I'm not satisfied with the "view" offered, I can just go around the ship to the other side on another deck. I would have to do this anyway if I had an inside cabin and wanted a view of the outside. Just because I have a lanai does NOT mean I have to ONLY sit precisely there.

Sorry you are all so jaded. Please give me a break. I asked a few simple questions and did not want to feel as if I made a bad decision.

So sorry - I did not intend to put a damper on your cruise plans but just wanted to share our experience in case you were unsure of your cabin choice and were considering a change. I also heard some negative comments when I booked a Lanai on the Maasdam for a 14 day Caribbean cruise, but wanted to give it a try and decide for myself. We still had a great cruise but learned that we prefer another type of cabin. I hope you have a fabulous cruise and love your Lanai.

Our first ever cruise was on the Maasdam in cabin 363......one of the few on the LP deck that are next to exit doors that have not been converted into a Lanai cabins (probably because of clearance issues with the doors). We loved the Maasdam and went on 2 additional cruises for a total of 39 nights on the old girl and loved all of those too!

After reading about the plans several years ago about conversions to "Lanai" cabins my first reaction was WHY? It isn't that far to a door to walk out to the same deck and the increase in cost for what was once an OV cabin seemed excessive to me for closer access to a chair with hundreds of people running and walking by.:confused:

My main concern about the lower promenade deck then was the excessive noise from the Atrium at night with the band in the Ocean Bar...........I can still remember that boring drummer after all of these years as I tried to get to sleep plus cabin 363 and those near it are under some kitchen prep area (bakery I think) and the baker kept dropping pots or some large objects into the wee hours.:eek:

For the second and third cruises we much more enjoyed the Main Deck for stability and quietness and walked elsewhere to use lounge chairs typically always available on this ship.;)

However, from our experiences on our old Maasdam first love to many other HAL ships over the years, HAL is a great experience wherever you are on the ship.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Well, thank you very much for your negativity.

First of all, we could NOT afford a private balcony. They are only available in the suite category, at twice the price. I did not want an inside room. The Carribean, yes, because we've been there so many times, but not on our first time for Alaska.

And if I'm not satisfied with the "view" offered, I can just go around the ship to the other side on another deck. I would have to do this anyway if I had an inside cabin and wanted a view of the outside. Just because I have a lanai does NOT mean I have to ONLY sit precisely there.

Sorry you are all so jaded. Please give me a break. I asked a few simple questions and did not want to feel as if I made a bad decision.

Well Nancy I am very sorry you took our thoughts as judging your decision as a bad one for you. Several of us said, to each their own and we mean that sincerely. We wish you the spectacular cruise experience you are hoping for.

My motto is that it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship! I do not think we are all so jaded, I think we have different experiences and have shared them with you. There are pros and cons and they have been presented here. Lanai cabin are controversial. I hope you enjoy your cruise and can come back here and tell us about your experience. Enjoy Alaska, it's an exceptional place. m--