VOOM is now available on Freedom

E23NK1

Sounds good. Did you get good reception on the balcony. When we were on FR the last few times, I couldn't get good reception.

We do. Perhaps not as good as other places but we were definitely surfing online on the balcony.

On our phones, it will say "Cellular at Sea" when we are on the ship's tower. I don't know if this is the same on all phones. To be safe, I just put the phone in Airplane Mode when the ship leaves the dock.

With the cellular at sea mode do some phone companies work better than others using it? For instance if you had AT&T wireless does it have roaming charges using the ships cellular service versus say maybe T-Mobile? I'm not fluent at all with how roaming goes. During my trip to Germany I had T-Mobile and didn't have any roaming charges because T-Mobile is big out there. I've since switch the whole family to AT&T and I don't have any International service now unless I switch plans and I don't intend on doing so.

We do. Perhaps not as good as other places but we were definitely surfing online on the balcony.
This is good as I need to keep in touch via email but I live on the balcony. I guess streaming video would be slow on the balcony (want to catch up with some Netflix series that I have not had time to watch).

Bob do you know how Android phones work with texting?...I thought I read that the standard texting app does not work but other apps do.

You can use any internet based testing app, such as WhatsApp. Some have also mentioned Facebook and Google Hangouts, but I'm not famililar with those.

Bob do you know how Android phones work with texting?...I thought I read that the standard texting app does not work but other apps do.

If you mean by the app that is built for cell based texting, then, you are correct, that will not usually work with a WiFi only connection - just like on land if you put your phone in airplane mode (that's what you would do on the ship) that texting app will not work. But, there are lots of Internet based texting apps which can make use of the data connection and in some cases (like Hangouts) the app may be able to integrate the cell based texting. Some of that depends on the carrier, phone and even Android version. You can try this on land before going - just put your phone in airplane mode, connect to some WiFi and test what works.

The BOGO offer for Voom was only available online ahead of time for our April 3rd cruise. When we got onboard, we added Voom for others in our party but didn't get the same deal. In fact, they seemed to know nothing about the BOGO deal. Our wifi worked great on deck 2, where our room was. But, on the pool decks, it was very spotty and we did have to keep re-logging in the whole week. It worked great for keeping in touch with our kids and husbands onboard through iMessage, as well as keeping up with our older ones at home as long as we were on a lower deck.

I would definitely purchase it again if traveling without all of my family- it's a great way to keep in touch back home.

PCJMOM

I picked up VOOM for my cruise (got back to port yesterday). Overall, it is a huge step up from the normal Internet you see on cruise ships. I saw connectivity around 2Mbps throughout most of the week. Deck 11 & 12 were a little spotty though.

Screenshot_2016-04-11-12-13-14.jpg.4c11fcf8c2effc823bc937b2b4aa7d85.jpg

I picked up VOOM for my cruise (got back to port yesterday). Overall, it is a huge step up from the normal Internet you see on cruise ships. I saw connectivity around 2Mbps throughout most of the week. Deck 11 & 12 were a little spotty though.

How was connectivity on the balcony. We will be on Deck 9.

We are on the FOS 5/29. If we do BOGO voom, can we text our girls through Wifi between 2 iPhones?

Thanks.

On board right now. Don't rely on keeping in touch that way. It Knocks us off constantly when we are using it & you have to log back in & turn your phone off & mess with settings. It's great for sitting down & checking stuff occasionally.

Also onboard now with Voom. I agree it's not great for communicating as you will have to login after not using it for awhile. I only got it so I could keep in touch with my employees and it's worked great for that. Surfing the internet is great. No problems checking email or using Facebook. I was even able to watch Netflix without issue. I think I've gotten great coverage everywhere from to decks to my room on seven to our dining room or the theatre on three.

So do you think RCCL might extend it to GS and OS passengers? Sailing 5/29 and I know the enhanced suite benefits only apply to newer classes of ships but this would be a nice consolation prize for us "second class" suite passengers. I guess we could pre-purchase access and wait until boarding to see if this might be a single suite experience improvement offered on FOS.

So do you think RCCL might extend it to GS and OS passengers? Sailing 5/29 and I know the enhanced suite benefits only apply to newer classes of ships but this would be a nice consolation prize for us "second class" suite passengers. I guess we could pre-purchase access and wait until boarding to see if this might be a single suite experience improvement offered on FOS.

I would not pre-purchase unless you are getting some significant discount.

Just logged in to check mine and it is offering 30% off but there are now two options. Voom $9.99 or Voom Surf + Stream for $12.99. Are you getting a faster speed if you purchase the stream option?

Edited by mccannme

Just logged in to check mine and it is offering 30% off but there are now two options. Voom $9.99 or Voom Surf + Stream for $12.99. Are you getting a faster speed if you purchase the stream option?

Mine is showing Vroom Surf Package $9.99 each. When I "Add to Cart", it shows up as $63.63, which is $9.09 per day, as the subtotal. Maybe the $9.99 is when they add taxes.

Mine is showing Vroom Surf Package $9.99 each. When I "Add to Cart", it shows up as $63.63, which is $9.09 per day, as the subtotal. Maybe the $9.99 is when they add taxes.

Never heard of tax on Voom.