Viking Sea Christening

Insanityx4

Insanityx4,

Thank you for posting the link. It is interesting to see the coverage Viking is getting for its newest ocean-going ship. My wife and I have had the pleasure of sailing on the Star last fall and in 3 weeks cruise again on the Viking Sea. We will be aboard for the Christening in London on May 5th.

It is unfortunate that the author(s) of this article didn't know who the Viking Sea's Godmother is. It isn't any secret. Viking Ocean's own video of the Sea's float out at the Fincantieri ship yard in Ancona, Italy clearly states (and shows) Karine Hagen is her Godmother. She is the daughter of Torsten Hagen, President and CEO of Viking Cruises. She is one of the company's vice presidents and is featured in many of their promotional videos.

I have no idea exactly what a 'Christening' actually involves but the Viking Sea will not be docked in Greenwich but there will be a short tender to shore. We have a home in Greenwich so would be interested to know if anything will be visible from the riverside and if so what are the timings. We will be onboard Istanbul to Venice in September 2016.

it would be great if Viking actually told its future passengers of the situation with Viking Sea. Those of us who booked on Viking Sea have had a little anxiety about upcoming sailings, esp after the third Ocean ship was delayed. I think it would be great for Viking customer service if we had been told of the situation of launch etc, rather than discovering it for ourselves on the web.

I have no idea exactly what a 'Christening' actually involves but the Viking Sea will not be docked in Greenwich but there will be a short tender to shore. We have a home in Greenwich so would be interested to know if anything will be visible from the riverside and if so what are the timings. We will be onboard Istanbul to Venice in September 2016.

As we are close to Greenwich on 5 May, I wrote to Viking asking whether it would be possible to see the Christening. I did not expect to be allowed to board, but rather watch from afar before our cruise in September. They replied to say that this will not be possible for security reasons. Shame.

it would be great if Viking actually told its future passengers of the situation with Viking Sea. Those of us who booked on Viking Sea have had a little anxiety about upcoming sailings, esp after the third Ocean ship was delayed. I think it would be great for Viking customer service if we had been told of the situation of launch etc, rather than discovering it for ourselves on the web.

The Viking Sea set sail from Istanbul today on its maiden voyage. You can check on it at the various ship tracking sites.

As we are close to Greenwich on 5 May, I wrote to Viking asking whether it would be possible to see the Christening. I did not expect to be allowed to board, but rather watch from afar before our cruise in September. They replied to say that this will not be possible for security reasons. Shame.

Just hope the passengers have a better experience than those who previously visited Greenwich on Viking. I understand from posts from those onboard it was all a bit of a shambles.

What situation are you speaking of?

What is this difficult situation? Thank you.

Hi, my view here is that passengers on Viking Sea would have had a keen interest in the progress of their ship's completion and launch. The sister ship being built for a similar launch time was "postponed". So for those booked for April and May on Viking Sea there may have been a little concern with the progress of the build and launch - we have have asked was our cruise going to happen, because cruises on the other ship were canceled. Just as on this forum, when a response post occurs, we get an email as notice, rather than us having to search the forum for any responses, I just thought it would be good customer relations for Viking to keep its passengers updated via an outgoing email, rather than us having to find out for ourselves on their website or on forums like this.

What is this difficult situation? Thank you.

Inborn traveler - as a passenger on the previous Greenwich port stop, there were some pretty severe problems with disembarking on time. Although the ship tied up on time at about 7:00am, our shore excursion, which was supposed to depart at 8:30, did not depart until after 11:00. This was not just a problem with our tour - - all tours were delayed. Our bus and guide had been sitting in the parking lot since 8:00am. About the only folks who were able to get off the ship at a reasonable time were independent travellers who got off a few at a time. The rest of us were waiting in the Theater or Torshavn Lounge for our tours to depart with no explanation.

Later, we were told various stories by Viking as to what caused the delays, none of which made sense. My own theory is that they were bringing onboard a lot of travel press corps and assorted VIPs who were sailing with us to Bergen for our Christening. These incoming (non-paying) folks with luggage and camera gear clogged up the gangways, making it impossible for us (paying) folks to get off. My theory anyway.

Additionally, the ship ties up to a floating barge kind of thing, a bit away from the shore. From here you get a shuttle boat that actually takes you to the dock onshore. The shuttle operator normally goes back and forth every half hour, not continuously. Supposedly, Viking made special arrangements to have them run more often - sometimes the shuttle operators seem to know this and sometimes not. This further added to the "shambles" as Mrs Miggins so charmingly phrased it. I would have called it something else...:o

Thanks for the explanation of the 'shambles'. I was not onboard, just watching from shore, so your first hand experience might help others onboard this time.

I would say that driving into central London on a bus or coach is not the delightful experience that taking the Thames Clipper service from Greenwich Pier is. Its a great ride along the river, under Tower Bridge past the Tower of London, finishing up next to the London Eye. Better than the rather grim road route.

Also Greenwich itself is wonderful, there is a a great information centre right next to the Cutty Sark, visits to the Painted Hall (as seen in Pirates of the Caribbean) and the Royal Naval Chapel, both free, would take only half an hour of your time. The Greenwich Observatory is a 10 -15 minute walk through Greenwich Park. This website might prove useful http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/tourist-information-centre/

I guess you might have time to look around Greenwich even if you are on one of the Viking tours - you will not be disappointed

I hope to see the "Sea" on that day and look forward to our trip on it in September.

Our tour was to Canteberry and we were supposed to be back by 2:00pm. We were looking forward to exploring Greenwich on foot after our return. Alas, we did not get back until 5:30, just in time to grab a quick bite by the pier to assure ourselves we'd be ashore again in time for our 6:30 departure for the London Eye by night. We thoroughly enjoyed both Canteberry and the London Eye -- just wish we had had time to see Greenwich.

If the Christening celebration in Bergen is any indicator of what's going to take place in London, there's positives and negatives. We enjoyed the fireworks and festivities of the Christening itself, but it does cut into Viking's attention to it's passengers who didn't necessarily book the cruise because of the Christening. There were also a LOT of press corps, Viking big-wigs and other assorted VIPS who boarded for the occasion and the staff's attention was clearly focused on them - not the paying passengers. On Christening Day (during the day, not the evening) there were no activities, tours, special events - nothing. Passengers were basically on their own. In London, this will probably not be an issue as there is plenty to see and do there. We were in Bergen for 3 days and there's only so much to see and do there. So, my thoughts for the Viking Sea are that you will enjoy the fireworks and associated activities, but plan to spend the day on your own in London. Unless of course Viking is running tours that day. Also, be prepared for all the onslaught of VIPs, and places being more crowded that usual on board.

Hope you have a great time in London. We would have loved to have another day there!