Dawn trip report 3/27-4/3

AmR87

Day 9- day at sea

This was an a-okay day. As we were getting closer to the Mississippi, the weather started to remind us that we were ending our vacation. It was very windy and cloudy today. This didn't stop my fun though. I walked around the jogging track for a while, read, and relaxed. Eventually I made it to the gym, which was never busy during the times I went. Most of the people working out were actually the entertainment staff. There's not much else to add to this day as it was time for wrapping things up.

NCL did get a huge point from me for not constantly reminding us that we would be getting off the ship. RCCL and Carnival both started asking about plans to leave on the 2-3rd days of the trip. NCL sent us just 1 paper reminder on Thursday. I know it is a little thing, but I enjoyed not being constantly reminded that I do have to actually get off the ship.

Day 10- home again home again.

Debarkation we to fine, it was just a little long. We started to get off around 810 and were at our car by 945. This nice ride has given me enough time to do trip report though. Glass half full right? I am not sure if I would ever do the drive to Nola from Chicago again either. We ended up doing it because there were four of us. With a hotel in Nola, gas, and parking it came out to about 150 a person, which was much cheaper than airfare. It may be worth the extra money in the future as we didn't get home until about 1230am.

Next up- Final thoughts/Opinions

Edited by AmR87

Overall, this was a great cruise and I don't have much to complain about (nor am I really a complainer).

If I HAD to pick some things to improve-

It was spring break season for high schoolers, so there were a ton of teenagers on the ship... Doing teenager stuff. Now, I know this is out of ncl's control. However, when teens are supposed to be in teen club and they sneak out to 'play' in the hot tub... Well then I question who isn't doing their job. The teens even had look outs (no joke) that would say "Don't go up there!" wile the other teens were "playing."

Oh to be 16 again...

I felt as though staff was a hit or miss on their service with a smile. I actually noticed this more with bartenders than anyone else. But boy, were these people worked non stop. There were lines at every bar, all day long. I can't fault them for not always being chipper 100% of the time.

The music by the pool was very love and slow orientated. I expected some recent hits or music to get you going. That didn't happen very often. I did enjoy their Bob Marley sets.

Finally, I want to explain my opinion on the gluten free dining per my earlier posts. Previously I had said that I felt that other cruise lines overall, did a better job at making sure I was eating safe. For example, every time I went to check in, my room cabin was marked with a gluten free, so the hostess always told the server. This did not happen on NCL. I always told the server about my Gluten freeness (which I do anyway, no matter where I am at.) Due to the constant change of servers, I was always weary of my food and tried to order 'safe' food (like eggs).

Luckily, after I found Leo the second day, he would come to find me during breakfasts and lunches (even if he was not our server) to make sure I had GF food.

Small story-

One day, during breakfast I had ordered a gluten free muffin. Leo had come over to check on me and asked what I had ordered. Right then our server came out and the muffin was definitely not gluten free (you can tell by the look of it). Leo took the waiter aside and then Leo came back with the correct food. He had told me that he had a talk with that waiter because he could've gotten me seriously ill.

There was an area by the buffet marked gluten free, but there was never anything in it either? I am very proactive about my disease, so I am usually on top of things on vacations, it is nice though where there is help for me on vacations (although not expected). These are just small examples of what I mean about feeling that NCL did not do as good of a job as the other lines I have been with.

Hubs and I will be going on the epic in June. This cruise has made us very excited for our next NCL cruise! I definitely enjoyed this line!

Overall, this was a great cruise and I don't have much to complain about (nor am I really a complainer).

If I HAD to pick some things to improve-

It was spring break season for high schoolers, so there were a ton of teenagers on the ship... Doing teenager stuff. Now, I know this is out of ncl's control. However, when teens are supposed to be in teen club and they sneak out to 'play' in the hot tub... Well then I question who isn't doing their job. The teens even had look outs (no joke) that would say "Don't go up there!" wile the other teens were "playing."

Oh to be 16 again...

I felt as though staff was a hit or miss on their service with a smile. I actually noticed this more with bartenders than anyone else. But boy, were these people worked non stop. There were lines at every bar, all day long. I can't fault them for not always being chipper 100% of the time.

The music by the pool was very love and slow orientated. I expected some recent hits or music to get you going. That didn't happen very often. I did enjoy their Bob Marley sets.

Finally, I want to explain my opinion on the gluten free dining per my earlier posts. Previously I had said that I felt that other cruise lines overall, did a better job at making sure I was eating safe. For example, every time I went to check in, my room cabin was marked with a gluten free, so the hostess always told the server. This did not happen on NCL. I always told the server about my Gluten freeness (which I do anyway, no matter where I am at.) Due to the constant change of servers, I was always weary of my food and tried to order 'safe' food (like eggs).

Luckily, after I found Leo the second day, he would come to find me during breakfasts and lunches (even if he was not our server) to make sure I had GF food.

Small story-

One day, during breakfast I had ordered a gluten free muffin. Leo had come over to check on me and asked what I had ordered. Right then our server came out and the muffin was definitely not gluten free (you can tell by the look of it). Leo took the waiter aside and then Leo came back with the correct food. He had told me that he had a talk with that waiter because he could've gotten me seriously ill.

There was an area by the buffet marked gluten free, but there was never anything in it either? I am very proactive about my disease, so I am usually on top of things on vacations, it is nice though where there is help for me on vacations (although not expected). These are just small examples of what I mean about feeling that NCL did not do as good of a job as the other lines I have been with.

Hubs and I will be going on the epic in June. This cruise has made us very excited for our next NCL cruise! I definitely enjoyed this line!

Just wondering if you alerted the NCL Special Needs Dept. before your cruise or the maître d' in the MDR. They will usually work with you every day for the next days meals.

What were the delays around disembarking? Do you know when they started letting guests off the ship? That's going to be an interesting morning for us - with an 11:15am flight. :eek:

I know this sounds crazy, but I felt like EVERYONE did self assist. The lines were ridiculously long to get off. The line started in the atrium and winded in and out of that whole floor. There were 4 customs officers. Ours was very chatty, so I am not sure if that slowed things down as well. We also were not cleared by customs until about 750am, so no one started getting off until about 8am.

Just wondering if you alerted the NCL Special Needs Dept. before your cruise or the maître d' in the MDR. They will usually work with you every day for the next days meals.

I sure did! I filled out the paperwork and everything before leaving. I also contacted the head maitre d' right when we got on the ship. I met with him during our first lunch, which is where they explained that I would just have to pre order my food for dinner, and breakfast and lunch would figured out on a daily basis. (Now again, I got to feel like a normal person after meeting Leo, because he knew the menu inside out and would always make sure what I ordered was GF without having to preorder it.)

I always felt like I was bothersome when asking for GF food. I also got different answers on things as well.

One day I ordered a salad and they said I couldn't have the dressing, the next day I ordered the same thing and they gave me the dressing? I didn't get sick, so it must've been GF.

We went to the Asian restaurant and I was told there was nothing there I could have. I i sat there and watched everyone else eat. I then told the Maitre D what happened and he became very upset and said that never should have happened, because they could have given me the rice noodles and veggies. Good thing you can get food at other places on the ship!

Bottom line though was that I didn't get sick. So there were people on the ship who did do their jobs correctly. :)

I am a gluten free traveler as well, so I hope this helps others with special diets.

Thank you so much for your review! We are set to sail NCL Dawn next month with my 2.5 year old who has multiple food allergies (dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy). He is not allergic to gluten/wheat, but is on a special gluten free diet to help heal his allergies. I gave all of his allergy information upon booking, but was told to meet with guest services upon embarkation. Do you have any tips/advice for me? Of course we are taking antihistamines and epi-pens just in case, but I want to do whatever possible to keep him at as little risk as possible for any sort of adverse reactions and decrease cross-contamination chances.

Thank you so much for your review! We are set to sail NCL Dawn next month with my 2.5 year old who has multiple food allergies (dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy). He is not allergic to gluten/wheat, but is on a special gluten free diet to help heal his allergies. I gave all of his allergy information upon booking, but was told to meet with guest services upon embarkation. Do you have any tips/advice for me? Of course we are taking antihistamines and epi-pens just in case, but I want to do whatever possible to keep him at as little risk as possible for any sort of adverse reactions and decrease cross-contamination chances.

Hello!

Knowing what I know now, I would actually ask the Maitre D for a server who is well versed in the ingredients of the food and ask to meet them and sit with them every breakfast and dinner. For example, in my case, once I found Leo, we went to him every night. Then at night he would tell me where he would be in the morning, so I could try to sit in his section as well. He was usually in the MDR for breakfast, which made my life a little easier too. I enjoyed breakfast much more down there than in the buffet.

With your child's multiple allergies, I would stay away from the buffet. In my honest opinion, I think there is way too many cases for cross contamination to happen. (i.e. I would see people grab a serving spoon from one container and put it in a different one by accident)

For lunch, I would go to Blue Lagoon or the MDR if it is open for lunch as you can really explain the allergies there!

Hello!

Knowing what I know now, I would actually ask the Maitre D for a server who is well versed in the ingredients of the food and ask to meet them and sit with them every breakfast and dinner. For example, in my case, once I found Leo, we went to him every night. Then at night he would tell me where he would be in the morning, so I could try to sit in his section as well. He was usually in the MDR for breakfast, which made my life a little easier too. I enjoyed breakfast much more down there than in the buffet.

With your child's multiple allergies, I would stay away from the buffet. In my honest opinion, I think there is way too many cases for cross contamination to happen. (i.e. I would see people grab a serving spoon from one container and put it in a different one by accident)

For lunch, I would go to Blue Lagoon or the MDR if it is open for lunch as you can really explain the allergies there!

Allie and "justafirefly" you can and should in the future actually sit down with one of the Maitre'd's on the first day. They will go over things with you and set up a system where you can go over the menu each night and pick things for the next day.

This is getting a little watered down now because so many people are gluten intolerant as opposed to allergic and the food is now widely available without having a special meeting with the staff and chefs.....but for people who are allergic and truly gluten free, like yourself, they will prepare your food in the allergy kitchen and even prepare the food of your table mates to avoid cross contamination.

I think for most people who are intolerant, as opposed to allergic, they choose to manage it themselves at the buffet and in the restaurants, but if you want that higher level of care I suggest you meet with staff on the first day next time and you will see that your allergy experience will be as good or better. At least that has been my experience, I feel NCL blows the other cruise lines I have sailed out of the water when it comes to their allergy precautions.

Allie and "justafirefly" you can and should in the future actually sit down with one of the Maitre'd's on the first day. They will go over things with you and set up a system where you can go over the menu each night and pick things for the next day.

This is getting a little watered down now because so many people are gluten intolerant as opposed to allergic and the food is now widely available without having a special meeting with the staff and chefs.....but for people who are allergic and truly gluten free, like yourself, they will prepare your food in the allergy kitchen and even prepare the food of your table mates to avoid cross contamination.

I think for most people who are intolerant, as opposed to allergic, they choose to manage it themselves at the buffet and in the restaurants, but if you want that higher level of care I suggest you meet with staff on the first day next time and you will see that your allergy experience will be as good or better. At least that has been my experience, I feel NCL blows the other cruise lines I have sailed out of the water when it comes to their allergy precautions.

This is all very helpful information, thank you both!

I completely agree with you. The intolerance has made things different in the real world as people deal with it themselves- i.e. may not get severely sick so they can manage if they have a bit. I have celiac disease, so my joke is "I won't be sick now, but I will in a few hours!"

If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I did meet with the main Maitre D and Assistant, I Made and Ali almost immediately after I got on the ship. While yes they were great and accommodating, you can see where my slight mishaps were. (getting a non GF muffin for breakfast for instance).

Where as Carnival actually had me order ALL my meals ahead of time to be cooked in a GF area and to ensure that I had gluten free food all day long. On Paul Gauguin (although I probably shouldn't even compare that line) I had a personal eating consultant to ensure I was safe all week. Now that was AWESOME :)

Like I said earlier, Bottom Line, I didn't get sick. So that was all that mattered.

Edited by AmR87

Loving your review...haven't been on a NCL cruise in years, usually cruise, Princess, Carnival and RCL. Can't wait to read the rest of your adventures..the du du dum has me intriged! We are cruising the Dawn May 8th for 10 nights in a balcony...can't wait!!

Great review and very interested in your take on the GF stuff. We'll be on the Dawn in July traveling with my daughter who has Celiac. We did a Carnival Cruise last summer and while the cruise was just "OK" I thought they handled the GF stuff really well. I will make sure speak to the Matre'D as soon as we get on the ship and see if we can find your waiter!! Sound like he was exemplary.

Quick side note on New Orleans. We were there last summer pre-Carnival Cruise and we did our research and found some great places for GF food. There are some excellent apps and websites to look up local restaurants that are GF. One I can recommend is Deanies. We had a broiled fish platter (instead of the normal fried) and it was probably the best fish I have ever eaten. We tend to stay away from a lot of fried food anyway. My daughter, who was not really a fish eater, discovered she LOVES Cajun styled catfish :).

Great review and very interested in your take on the GF stuff. We'll be on the Dawn in July traveling with my daughter who has Celiac. We did a Carnival Cruise last summer and while the cruise was just "OK" I thought they handled the GF stuff really well. I will make sure speak to the Matre'D as soon as we get on the ship and see if we can find your waiter!! Sound like he was exemplary.

Quick side note on New Orleans. We were there last summer pre-Carnival Cruise and we did our research and found some great places for GF food. There are some excellent apps and websites to look up local restaurants that are GF. One I can recommend is Deanies. We had a broiled fish platter (instead of the normal fried) and it was probably the best fish I have ever eaten. We tend to stay away from a lot of fried food anyway. My daughter, who was not really a fish eater, discovered she LOVES Cajun styled catfish :).

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely mark that down for next time. We ended up at Channing Tatums restaurant which had some gf marked food too!