Dawn trip report 3/27-4/3

AmR87

Trip report spring break

Background information

I am a late 20 something who travels extensively with my husband. We go on about three trips per year, with at least one being a cruise. (Positives of being DINKs?). This was our first NCL cruise. I was deeply intrigued by the lure of free drinking, and relatively good prices. We convinced our friends to book it too. At the last minute, we got upgrades to balconies and adjoining rooms all on the Dawn.

I am a gluten free traveler as well, so I hope this helps others with special diets.

This is solely my opinion and how I felt. Have fun reading!

Day one-lets get ready to drive!

We had a normal day at work... You know the typical kind where you watch the clock and announce 'four more hours until vacation'. Thus annoying the crap out of everyone. Hey, what do I care. I was going on vacation in 3.5 hours! I went home, did some laundry, cleaned , and waited for our friends to arrive for our lovely 13 hour car ride to New Orleans. We left around 11pm and pretty much drove straight through. We only stopped for gas and snacks and for breaks from each other. We arrived in New Orleans about 1 pm on Saturday

Day two- New Orleans

We arrived in New Orleans and found a cheaper parking lot around the corner from the crown plaza. It was 25 vs the 45 at the hotel. Anywhere I can save money I will! We were not allowed to check in yet. However the front desk Employee let us use more private bathrooms upstairs to freshen up and we then dropped off our luggage. We asked the bellman where to get some good drinks and he steered us in the right direction.

We had some drinks, and then got a text that our room was ready. We dropped off our things, worked out, napped, and then got ready for dinner and fun on bourbon street. Boy, was I ever intrigued by bourbon street. A tourist trap, yes. But wow, so much to look at. A note for gf travelers- I struggled to find food here. I figured it was touristy, so there must be gf options. Boy was I wrong. I made do, but I wanted to let others know to research, research, research. I made a mistake by not being fully prepared. [/size]

Looking forward to your report!! We're traveling out of New Orleans on the Dawn in November. Thanks for taking the time.

Sure! I am glad that others can read and learn from reports. That's what I love to do!

I just wish I would've taken photos. I only have a few from this trip.

Day 3- off to the ship

Embarkation day! The most exciting of them all. The troop wanted beignets and coffee , so we traveled to get some before going to the cruise ship. We showed up around 12 , which was perfect as there were no lines for anything. We parked at the cruise ship parking lot, which was fine as well. Before we knew it we were in the ship. Our rooms were ready already, so we were able to drop off the bags that we had. It was raining on and off, so we decided to get some lunch and relax.

We started with our ubp at lunch. I knew that we would be charged for tax. Unfortunately I forgot how long of a ride it is out of the Mississippi. We paid taxes until about 10-11pm that night. I'm glad I was able to help out the Louisiana government.

Anyhow, NCL was slightly different from other cruise lines with special eating. I think this is due to freestyle dining. Luckily,I found an amazing waiter the second day (Leo, more on him later) who went beyond what he needed to, to make sure I was safe every day. If it wasn't for him, I felt like I would have struggled to ensure that I had gluten free food. This is where I felt rccl and carnival slightly outdid NCL. Again, I truly think this is because of freestyle dining, and not allowing the same waiters to get to know you as a customer.

Lunch was fine and I was accommodated with what they had. I was told to make sure I always order my dinner the night before and I would be fine. I ordered my dinner for that night and was good to go. This was Easter Sunday, and they did provide a special Easter meal for dinner.

The rest of the afternoon was spent exploring, laughing, meeting new people and using our ubp. We called it early as we were exhausted from our long drive and long night and headed for bed around 1030.

Day 4- day at sea

We slept in the first day. My husband and I grabbed buffet breakfast I usually don't ask for help at the buffet during breakfast as I stick to items I know are gluten free. Hard boiled eggs, fruits, yogurts, omlets. The hubs filled up his plate and enjoyed his meal. We spent mOst of the day lounging at the pool. It was still a little too cold to get in, but perfect weather for staying out. We ended up going to the gym in the afternoon to get a workout in before dinner.

We decided to go to aqua for dinner where we were seated in Leo's section. He is my most favorite cruise ship employee I have ever met. He made sure I ate safely every night. He would even find me during breakfasts and lunches and bring me gf items that he knew I liked. I have never met an employee to give such amazing service. We ended up going to him every night. We gave him our contact info at the end of the cruise and I really hope to hear from him soon. I would go on any ship that he was sailing on, he was truly that good. I was very lucky to have been seated at his section the second day as he was the one who made sure I didn't get sick on my vacation.

Day 5-Cozumel

Today we got off and went to paradise beach. 16 cab ride each way and 3 dollars once you get in. The beach was okay. There was so much floating jumping stuff, that there was little room to actually swim. We still had a blast swimming and getting sun. We left a little early to go back to thE ship for lunch.

Back on the ship we drank, ate, and slept. We went for drinks before dinner and then a late dinner.

It became a daily ritual to go to pearly kings for drinks then to dinner. It was usually about 1030 when we finished dinner. We never felt rushed to leave even though the restaurant was closed by then. Again.. Amazing service in Aqua.

Day 6- roatan

Flat out, I'll start with the tendering service here was insane. The line was out and around the corner by 715am. We ended up getting tender ticket 15 and didn't get off this ship until noon. We had paid a deposit for a dive, so I was semi freaking out about missing it. Luckily, someone else from our dive group was able to email our dive company, so they knew we would be late.

Although I was irritated, it ended up working out better because we got to dive with a group of only 4 total people. Our dive master was great and the diving institution was wonderful. We got back just in time to get back on the ship. We ended up eating a late linner as we had skipped lunch. We had blue lagoon which was a great place to grab some quick food.

We went to the comedy show before dinner which was pretty funny. I enjoyed their gluten free jokes too! We went to dinner around 9 where Leo was a joy to be with once again. He was so good that I no longer had to pre order my meals. He had something picked out for me each night. He also brought me anything I asked for, even if it was last minute. Boy, do I miss that service!

My wife and kids were also on this sailing, and although we didn't have Leo we also had the best waiter we've ever had on a cruise at the Venetian restaurant (Ashton) we requested him for dinner every night and he truly went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. My son has a peanut allergy so we also would pre-order meals the night before and I felt Norwegian went out of their way to make sure he was taken care of! wish we were still onboard! Can't wait to read the rest

My wife and kids were also on this sailing, and although we didn't have Leo we also had the best waiter we've ever had on a cruise at the Venetian restaurant (Ashton) we requested him for dinner every night and he truly went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. My son has a peanut allergy so we also would pre-order meals the night before and I felt Norwegian went out of their way to make sure he was taken care of! wish we were still onboard! Can't wait to read the rest

How awesome is it to find that one server who cares!? We didn't have much luck in the Venetian the first day, which is why we ended up at Aqua. It all worked out though!

Day 7- Belize

I made a major rookie mistake here. We had planned to go cave tubing with our friends. They were not feeling well, so they didn't make it. We then decided, well let's just go around the port then and see what there is to do.

MISTAKE!!!

I get so overwhelmed by people chasing me and trying to sell me things. That is all that happened in this port. We only stayed in Belize for about an hour before I just couldn't take it anymore. I was so tired of people following me around telling me to buy their tour or their product. This was all inside the port as well. It looked sketchy to me when we went to leave, so we turned around and went right back to the tender. In the future I hope Harvest Caye opens, OR I need to have a definite plan. I was way too overwhelmed here.

We went back to the boat and relaxed in the sun. It was SO hot, but dang it felt good. We ended up lounging around until dinner. Dinner was fabulous again as Leo brought me GF cookies, bread, and the wine I loved. Yep... still salivating over all that bread right now. This is when we would hear the first rumor of our day to come tomorrow...

Dun dun dun...

Day 7- Belize

I made a major rookie mistake here. We had planned to go cave tubing with our friends. They were not feeling well, so they didn't make it. We then decided, well let's just go around the port then and see what there is to do.

MISTAKE!!!

I get so overwhelmed by people chasing me and trying to sell me things. That is all that happened in this port. We only stayed in Belize for about an hour before I just couldn't take it anymore. I was so tired of people following me around telling me to buy their tour or their product. This was all inside the port as well. It looked sketchy to me when we went to leave, so we turned around and went right back to the tender. In the future I hope Harvest Caye opens, OR I need to have a definite plan. I was way too overwhelmed here.

We went back to the boat and relaxed in the sun. It was SO hot, but dang it felt good. We ended up lounging around until dinner. Dinner was fabulous again as Leo brought me GF cookies, bread, and the wine I loved. Yep... still salivating over all that bread right now. This is when we would hear the first rumor of our day to come tomorrow...

Dun dun dun...

UGH You missed out on a great excursion!! We went cave tubing in Belize and it was probably one of the best excursions we've ever done!! Maybe next time!

UGH You missed out on a great excursion!! We went cave tubing in Belize and it was probably one of the best excursions we've ever done!! Maybe next time!

Darn! Can I call my friends stupid friends for causing us to miss? Haha! :)

Waiting for more......Getting on the Dawn on Sunday!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have fun! If you ever find Leo in Aqua please tell him Ali the gluten free girl from Chicago says hello!

Day 8- Costa maya- notttttt.

We had heard through the grapevine the night before that we wouldn't be going to Costa maya. Sure enough, the captain came on around 730am stating the waves were so big that they were going over the deck. There was no way to safely dock. Although he did make me chuckle when he said "no one on deck 7 in guest services made this decision". We did get 12 a person back though, which was more than I had expected.

So, what do you do when you're on the cruise an extra day? DRINK! This day was so much fun. People just let loose and had fun. We played irish poker and drank the afternoon away. My really cool husband and his friend tried to kick the teenagers out of the adults only hot tub, but that didn't work out so well. They ended up embrecing them and laughing with (at) their not so sober butts.

Well my hubs can't handle his liquor so he retired to the room while the rest of us got lunch at 4pm. Yup... We were so those people. I think everything on the menu was ordered at blue lagoon. They even used the chair to put food on.

We all went back to our rooms and fell asleep until 9. Which was of course time to see Leo! We weren't so hot this night, so we ate a little, had dessert and left. Tonight I had a gluten free brownie with ice cream and strawberries. Mm mm.

It was then off to bed for us.