Hong Kong: Need help planning 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post cruise.

stefanny28

So if I understood correctly, when people go to the Peak, they pay for the tram to go up but access to the shopping centres are , of course, free?

Like mking8288 mentioned, we can take the bus and go to the same malls without paying the expensive tram ride?

Yes, it's just different forms of transport up to the same (public) place.

Actually, you can simply walk up or (more likely) down for free - quite a lot of people do that, and there are some scenic routes that don't involve the main roads. But you do need to do a bit of research on these.

Personally, I would always suggest that a first-time visitor goes on the Peak Tram in one direction. First, it's not actually a tram but a funicular railway. Second and more important, it's another real piece of Hong Kong history despite the modernisation that has taken place. Third, it's actually quite fun to go on a steep ride up or down the hill.

There are 2 hop on hop off companies that I know of.

We did the rickshaw hop on hop off

the other company is big bus

Thanks Tara.

Was it you who visit the Big Buddha after you dropped your luggage at the airport?

How easy was it to go there form the airport? Which bus or MTR station?

Thanks

Yes, it's just different forms of transport up to the same (public) place.

Actually, you can simply walk up or (more likely) down for free - quite a lot of people do that, and there are some scenic routes that don't involve the main roads. But you do need to do a bit of research on these.

Personally, I would always suggest that a first-time visitor goes on the Peak Tram in one direction. First, it's not actually a tram but a funicular railway. Second and more important, it's another real piece of Hong Kong history despite the modernisation that has taken place. Third, it's actually quite fun to go on a steep ride up or down the hill.

Dear Globaliser;

Thanks for the info. I will do more research and see how it will fit in our time and budget. But with a teenager daughter, i know that we will have to make a stop at the mall at the Peak ;-))

Dear mking8288;

Thanks again for taking time to help. It is like having a personnal travel planner.

How cold does it get in HK in late December -begining of January We will be there from Dec 27th-31st, then come back with the ship Jan 13-15th?

Are we talking about low 40's? Does it rain a lot during that time?

Hotel: we'll only need it for the first stay ( Dec 27th-31st). I know it is quite high so I better book soon. I just booked our flights yesterday so now I am sure about the dates. Thank you for the advice regarding flats, never would have thought about heating...

I booked Tigeair for our flight HKG-SIN. Are they reliable? Jetstar Asia fare was really high for a one way to Singapore.

Please keep the info coming. It is amazing how knowledgeable you are. You can send me your ebill.... I'll pay it with my virtual Visa card :-)))

I booked Tigeair for our flight HKG-SIN. Are they reliable?
Slightly OT for here, but on the Cruise Air forum, many of us heartily wish that people would ask questions first, and then book the flight afterwards. The other way around, it really doesn't matter what people say about the airline: you've already made your choice and if you don't like what you then hear, it's too late to do anything about it other than throw away the money you've already paid.

Slightly OT for here, but on the Cruise Air forum, many of us heartily wish that people would ask questions first, and then book the flight afterwards. The other way around, it really doesn't matter what people say about the airline: you've already made your choice and if you don't like what you then hear, it's too late to do anything about it other than throw away the money you've already paid.

Does it means they are NOT reliable???

Sorry but I don't understand your reply.

It was either them or $1000US/person with Cathay Pacific or Singapore ailrines and since there are 3 of us, it does come up quite expensive for a short 3 hours flight.

No we didnt go to the big buddah. We only had a day and a half in HK and had seen many buddahs in Japan.

We stayed at the metropark kowloon I booked it on booking.com about 6 months ago and in the meantime the room price dropped dramatically. I simply booked again and cancelled the previous booking. We ended up paying $1156 HK per room for 2 people for 2 nights. It was a basic 3 star but had a hotel shuttle that was useful and was over the road from a supermarket and lots of other shops. mking has stayed at metropark mong kok and I think that is a better location being so close to the MRT. Our taxi from the port to hotel was $101 HK.

Does it means they are NOT reliable???

Sorry but I don't understand your reply.

It was either them or $1000US/person with Cathay Pacific or Singapore ailrines and since there are 3 of us, it does come up quite expensive for a short 3 hours flight.

The problem is: What would you do now if I were to say that Tigerair is unreliable? Even if that were the case, you're now basically stuck with the tickets that you've already bought.

Personally, I would not fly Tigerair, nor would I fly Jetstar - unless, in either case, I had to fly and I had no justifiable alternative. There are a number of reasons for that view, and I could not honestly say that it was only reliability concerns that lead me to it. But I personally would not trust either airline for time-critical travel.

The bigger point is that if you had asked in advance, there are some suggestions that I could have made.

First, do you have frequent flyer miles in a oneworld alliance airline? You could have tried to get a one-way award flight on Cathay Pacific. (There is availability on 31 December, if I've understood your dates correctly.) Ditto if you have frequent flyer miles in a Star Alliance airline, in which case you might have been able to get an award flight on Singapore Airlines. In either case, you would have had to calculate whether it was worth your while spending the required number of miles plus cash to do this, but this might have been a viable option. (For example, it would have cost me 10,000 miles from British Airways plus about USD 15 for each person's ticket.)

Next, even if you don't, I could have suggested that you look into opening a frequent flyer account and buying the number of miles that you'd need to get an award flight. It might have worked out to be an affordable number.

Finally, the worst case option would have been to buy a round-trip ticket from Cathay Pacific, which can be had for about HKD 2,400 = USD 310. You'd just fly the outbound half and throw away the inbound half.

At an even earlier stage, it might even have been possible to buy a single ticket that covered YUL-HKG / HKG-SIN / HKG-YUL so that you wouldn't have been looking for a one-way HKG-SIN ticket. It's possible that it might have cost little more than the YUL-HKG-YUL ticket that I think you do have.

I don't know how much you've paid for your Tigerair flights, and it might have been that even after all of that you would decide to pick Tigerair because it was cheaper and that was very important. But there were potential alternatives, and you could have made an informed choice.

I very happily fly tigerair here in Australia however I would never ever fly to any port the day of departure. Even with the well known airlines like Qantas I have had delays so we always fly the day or even 2 days prior to sailing. We just look at it as our holiday starting a bit earlier.

You have booked it now so you need to either rethink and rebook and put the cost of the tickets down to experience or just leave as things are and pray hard for the flight to be on time with no hiccups.

Good luck whatever decision you make.

No we didnt go to the big buddah. We only had a day and a half in HK and had seen many buddahs in Japan.

We stayed at the metropark kowloon I booked it on booking.com about 6 months ago and in the meantime the room price dropped dramatically. I simply booked again and cancelled the previous booking. We ended up paying $1156 HK per room for 2 people for 2 nights. It was a basic 3 star but had a hotel shuttle that was useful and was over the road from a supermarket and lots of other shops. mking has stayed at metropark mong kok and I think that is a better location being so close to the MRT. Our taxi from the port to hotel was $101 HK.

Thanks Tara Jane.

I'll check them out. Maybe I should book 2 rooms instead of a triple room.

How did you get to the hotel? By Taxi?

Edited by stefanny28

We used our points to get 3 Business class from YUL-HKG with Finnair ( on their brand new Airbus 350 with the lay flat seats... Yeah!!!). And if I have added the HKG-SIN leg, it will have cost $1000 CDN more. WIth Tigeair , it was a very affordable $200 CDN/person and no, we are NOT flying to Singapore on the day of the cruise, we are flying 3 days pre-crusie so I did take that into consideration.

Besides, I am trying to save my points for my Greek Island flights so we can get Business again.

Yes, I looked at Cathay Pacific but the leg YUL-HKG, then HKG-SIN, then HKG-YUL , the Business class was $7000 CDN/person. Forgive me to be picky but I did not want to sit in Premium Economy for a 15 hours flight that's why I booked the HKG-SIN leg separately.

I am sorry but what I should have asked wasn't if Tigeair was reliable or not but if anyone has flew with Tigeair before and if their flights were on time :-)))

Please forget the unclear question.

Great if you are going a few days earlier then I wouldn't be at all worried about tiger. Of course I haven't flown tiger in Asia so can't really vouch for them. They are very strict with check in times and luggage weight but if you read the rules and obey them I wouldn't be concerned.

We took taxi from port to hotel $101 HK total.

Staff at the port asked which hotel we were going to and wrote in Chinese characters for the driver. All well organised they just need more staff to stop the queue jumpers.

Great if you are going a few days earlier then I wouldn't be at all worried about tiger. Of course I haven't flown tiger in Asia so can't really vouch for them. They are very strict with check in times and luggage weight but if you read the rules and obey them I wouldn't be concerned.

We took taxi from port to hotel $101 HK total.

Staff at the port asked which hotel we were going to and wrote in Chinese characters for the driver. All well organised they just need more staff to stop the queue jumpers.

Dear Tara Jane;

You mentioned a hotel shuttle. Where did you take the shuttle to??? From the hotel to the airport?

Thanks Tara Jane. Maybe I should book 2 rooms instead of a triple room. How did you get to the hotel? By Taxi?

A few comments while on break - your 4 nights stay just before New Year's Eve, where visitors & others flock to HKG for the holiday, while "affluent" locals switch to vacation modes - airfares are higher & planes are flying full with standbys on mainlines as well as LCC, just know your options as unlike SG or CX, Tigerair isn't as good with IRROPS or if plane go MX, be very careful with carry-on size & weight limits, "dragons" at the check-in & boarding gates with the sizer. Pack a folding duffle & leave your winter clothes from Quebec in HKG with the hotel - especially if you are returning to the same hotel post-cruise (won't need it till flying home.)

Most tourist sites are within 30 to 60 minutes of each other on a highly efficient public transport system, DH speaking the local language & dialect definitely a bonus that Tara Jane missed out on - help with directions when you aren't sure. Bring up Google Map & Earth views and everything will be clear & easy to do later on - don't worry about the micro details at this stage.

HKG is cold, chilly, temp's in the 60's are cool, 50's are cold and 40's are brutal to locals - it's damp from humidity & non-heated homes & offices amplified matters - sitting & sleeping in a cooler box & the north wind come thru the door edges & windows (only upscale houses have double-insulated windows like in the Americas & elsewhere) It seldow rain & only snow lightly in the high mountain elevations once or twice a year outside the city, Victoria Peak & Big Budda monastery on Lantau being the exceptions. Chi Lin near Diamond Hill/MTR & Wong Tai Sin Temple, close to where the ship docked - are where the faithful truly pray and offer their blessings. ... but, worry about those later as you get closer.

Your prime focus should be on hotels now- competing with other tourists, including cruise ship pax arriving & departing around the same time - staying pre- and post-cruise ... did not check the port calendar to see if other ships are calling on HKG too, won't be surprised based on what I saw on booking sites about $$$ rates & availability, many popular ones SOLD OUT already.

Mission: review, search, screen, find & come up with a short list of hotels available for booking as soon as possible - based on your budget & needs. We've stayed at the Nathan years ago before they remodeled, Metropark Mong Kong in 2010 and friends (plus TaraJane) at the Metropark Kowloon - Kowloon Hotel in TST (super small in size, functional & efficient - like a studio cabin on a cruise ship, minus a pullman bed - LOL) including one next to IC (formerely the "Regents" with Rolls Royce fleet) on the harbor - This looked similar to ours MP-MK in 2010 - paid extra for 3rd bed (triple occupancy) - just average, clean & functional, advantage is location http://cfs8.tistory.com/upload_control/download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzIyNDg1NEBmczgudGlzdG9yeS5jb206L2F0dGFjaC8xMy8xMzg1LkpQRw%3D%3D

For Christmas-New Year week, nightly rates at both Metropark around $150 USD + 10% service charge, add a bed (better than rollaway) is like $60 to $70 extra nighly (30% to 40% of the double occupancy) & same formula/scheme at almost all hotels Front desk & housekeeping on the floor discreetly watch the actual occupancy in case 4 people moved in to share a room for 2 without paying extra. Looking at almost $300 CDN nightly (unless you prepaid & no refund/cancellation/change allowed) & these aren't your Hyatt or Marriott. Holiday Inn Express & Best Western, etc. are priced higher (if they are still available) in places not as convenient - rooms are as small as 15 or 18 to 20 sq.m. - bigger if you upgrade to club or executive level. Instead of booking 2 average rooms - might as well think about a more upscale hotel like the Langham Place in MK - if available, will probably be in the $350 to $450 CND range or higher (as connecting rooms are few in between)

MP Mong Kok is around the corner from Prince Edward Road MTR underground station - MP Kowloon on Waterloo Road is above/connected to multi-story shopping mall on a busy road with numerous bus routes & PMB, walk to Nathan Road & MTR aren't bad - especially in winter & it's somewhat nicer, has a swimming pool & mall's food court has many choices, so you will definitely eat like the locals. Just be very careful with street food sold on the street corners at Ladies Market or Temple Street, etc. - you know about Noro-virus & other stomach bugs, etc. I hope.

There are a # of newer boutique hotels, including U.S. brands in Kowloon East - near the cruise terminal - those might be an option - free hourly shuttles to nearby MTR, or catch the local bus or just brave by riding the PMB on day 2 and 3 to get around - Octopus cards accepted for paying the fares ... wave upon boarding & beep/hover above the sensor at the fare box, done & take the empty seats. Courtyard by Marriott in ShaTin, NT has availability, rooms are larger at 25 sq.m. and nicer - comparable rates to those above. Tsuen Wan in NT has hotels, not all them convenient & it's further away from the harbour & TST - those are fallback options, IMO.

Key is to spend this weekend (or, ASAP) looking for hotel availability & book it, the average rates are 50% higher than average for that period ... as we are looking a possible air-land package trip ourselves in mid-October, after the national holiday rush for China.

There are 3 airport hotels next to/on HKIA with free shuttles, other hotels in the city & island offer limited shuttles, usually to nearest MTR stations and some to TST shopping area - on a first come, first served basis - nothing to/from the airport are free, it's way too far nor practical. http://hongkonghotel.metroparkhotelkowloon.com/eng/facilities.php?channel=free-shuttle-bus&parent_channel=location

Almost all hotels offer to arrange *paid* airport transfer services, shared on mid-sized buses making stops at various hotels on designated routes (for $15 to $30 USD+ per person, one way - and as much as $65 to 75 USD+ per vehicle for a luxury ride in a Benz S-class sedan or Toyota 7-pax van. Peninsula (Kowloon) has the Rolls & a few has a choice of Benz or Audi's - credit cards & cash, cheerfully accepted - of course http://hongkonghotel.metroparkhotelkowloon.com/eng/facilities.php?channel=airport-transfer&parent_channel=location - for 3 people, you are better off taking a taxi & bellhop/doorman will haul or arrange one for you.

NP 360 cable car & the Big Budda / Po Lin Monastery video - beware, it's quite a bit of walking & climbing up to the giant statue from the cable car terminal. Some tourists return via 360 - we waited & took the next bus on the way back to Tung Chung to pickup the MTR back to the "city" - an easy & scenic ride thru the countrysides with farmlands & abandoned water buffalo roaming free range.

- easily a 6 to 8 hours trip with a vegetarian lunch, and all day if heading to the Tai O fishing village for seafood dinner - then, return via ferry service to Central in the evening.

... to be continued & everyone else 100% welcomed with inputs & ideas, suggestions, etc.

Hi mking;

I was actually looking at hotels near Mong Kok. Definitely doable and cheaper.

I have to go through our posts slowly this week end and take notes.

Fortunately, we only need hotels precruise ( from Dec 27th-dec 31st), then take Tigeair on the 31st to Singapore. We'll stay in Singapore from the 31st until Jan 2nd when we board the ship. The ship leaves Singapore on Jan 3rd, ends in HK on Jan 13th and we only have to get off on the 14th ( around 9:00-9:30). That's the day I plan to leave the luggage at Kow Loon Airport Express, and store the carry on at HKIA and go to see the Big Buddha.

On you next post, could you be so kind as to let me know 2 things:

1/ storage options for carry-on in HKIA

2/ logistics to go from HKIA to Big Buddha

Regarding Tigeair, when I booked the tickets, I prepaid for one piece of luggage ( 22kg) per passenger.

What is the rule for carry-on with them? I have a standard ( Nord American) roller carry-on. Are these acceptable ? Or will it be considered to big for the cabin?

Thanks

Dear mking;

How convenient will it be to book hotel on the Hong Kong side?

I found some really good choices near Tin hau, Causeway and Wan Chai. Cheaper than the hotels near Mong Kok, Jordan and TST.

Please advise.

I just found out, silly me, that not all hotels in HK have central heating...

And it can be quite cold and humid during December and January, that's what DH is trying to tell me ( of course, wo listen to their husband).

Being from Canada where houses are fully insulated, I am worried that we will be caught unaware by a seemingly warm 40's- 50's.

Could anyone tell me if they know which hotel has central heating?

If there is no central heating, does the hotel have enough heaters for every room???

I can't believe that I will be cold in HK... Me who live in Quebec where the temperature goes down to -20 F sometimes :-)))

Steffany28 - I've gone thru all your posts & try to sort out things a bit - including your short list of must-do's

a) Victoria Peak on HK island

b) day Trip to Macau

c) 3/4 to full day trip to NP 360/Big Budda/Po Lin @ Lantau (on disembarkation day from ship - return to KTCT on Saturday, stay onboard overnight as floating hotel & disembark Sunday morning. Check-in 3 bigger pcs. of luggage to return flight to Canada, keep carry-on luggage/storage ?? - and, then, Budda - return to airport in evening (dinner) & flight leave after midnight Sunday/early Sunday morning (no staying in hotel)

d) questions about choice of hotels & heating for winter months

e) transportation issues & getting around, minor questions about Tigerair's carry-on luggage, etc.

f) you are flying J (business class home) & will have lounge access, air-side so after a long day going to see the Budda, clean shower & fresh change of clothes is not a problem or taken into consideration (it can be both cold & humid in January)

If these are spot-on, here are my thinkings -

1. Most, if not all, tourist class hotels (3 stars & higher) - although I would go for 3.5 or 4 stars, budget permitting (any frequent guest programs with Canadian/US hotels with points to use, although blackout dates & redemptions might be a problem during the Christmas-New Year in HK) There are still some hotels in the Jordan area (Eaton H. & Nathan H.) that might be a good fit - pay a little more for the 4 nights stay vs. Metropark (which are okay, for 1 night with a bed & shower, place to storage luggage)

Most of them are within 4 to 5 blocks of the nearest MTR station, closer with the numerous bus routes & of course, PMB (if your DH is comfortable riding them as the leader)

Further up - same for Mong Kok area and in TST East/Hung Hom - places like the SAV Hotel are fine, not too pricey either, 4 stars, rooms are small but efficent & new. Downside, not close to MTR except the Hung Hom KCR rail station (which you can ride & transfer at Kowloon Tong to other MTR trains, not as convenient) as it's otherwise riding the buses and/or PMB (or, taxi - it's fine for shorter trips) It's close enough to walk to the ferry pier to cross the Victoria Harbour - to North Point, I believe, in addition to Wan Chai & Central.

Pull up Google Map & look at the address & street view of any & all hotels on your short list - Tripadvisor's review & photos - to see if you are comfortable in your final choice, for now. Just read a report that hotel occupancy in HK this winter is down about 7 or 8 % and prices slided down 20% - discounting for the (otherwise, usually busy) peak late Spring/Summer tourist seasons.

On the island side, many popular hotels are also within blocks of the nearest MTR station - plenty of bus routes & of course, good old electric tram -open air, double decker (where I must always duck & "mind" my head upstairs being 6' tall) - along Queensway (100+ years old) Wan Chai is near the convention center & lots of bars (and, restaurants) but not as exciting at night, whereas Causeway Bay is where the locals meet/dine/drink/hangout & socialize and shop (along with tourists, of course) - friend of mine stay in a boutique hotel between Tin Hau & CWB stations for a week, conveniently & easy to get around. From there, it's easy on a short taxi ride to the island side AE Station to check-in & ride to the airport, etc.

If you stay in the island, easy trip to go up to Victoria Peak, there is a direct bus service from Causeway Bay up Garden Road to the top, not No. 15 bus, of course (plus, PMB route) - easy for bus/tram ride or taxi to Sheung Wan's Macau pier for frequent turbojet (the big red ones with double hull are nicer, I'm told - took the smaller hydrofoil and it was just fine) From KTCT, it's an easy ride (tunnel toll to be paid to the taxi driver) across one of the harbour tunnel (East) to the hotel instead of TST.

There are also good to nice hotels in North Point, tourist class ones that are clean & comfortable - and, ferry services to the Kowloon side - locals prefer to ride the packed MTR trains or express bus routes, when possible - as "time is money" to them, always in a hurry & rushing. It's a matter of balancing your budget, interests & what's important to you.

Words of caution about the Peak & Budda - it's weather dependent to not waste your trip or time, clouds & fog will ruin your best plan forward - have contingency & move things around - precision timing cannot win over mother nature. NP 360 suffered from periodic shutdown of its ride from maintenance and from wind for safety reasons - always check their website for latest update before going out to Tung Chung ... hence, depending on what else you plan to do or see while in HK, you might want to do that during your initial stay & get that done.

That's true also for going to Macau - although, they seldom shutdown all maritime traffic, only with delays as the casinos depend on things to run like clockwork.

For example, arrive on Tuesday - check into hotel, dinner & weather permitting, up to Victoria Peak (if jetlag isn't an issue) ... don't underestimate it, has nothing to do with flat-bed flights (3 connections/layover) after 30 hours, body clock will be totally out of sync. Or, just take it easy, do Ladies Market or Temple Street Night Market, near the hotel & call it an early night - you will be tired.

Wed - after breakfast, go to Lantau & see Big Budda/Po Lin - return to city for evening/dinner or by mid-afternoon, maybe do Victoria Peak - if weather is good all around. (schools are out, still lines are shorter & fewer tourists & visitors vs. weekend for the Budda)

Thu - take an early turbojet/hydrofoil fast ferry to Macau, do the churches & forts, lunch - resume seeing the rest, more walking - early dinner (Portugese/Macanese style - things like African Chicken & roasted farm pigeon, and baked egg tarts with coconut)

Fri - freestyle sightseeing if plans for Wed. & Thu. accomplish, otherwise - catching up day to do it. Laser show on the habour at 8 PM.

Sat - New Years Eve - relax & see other things in town, checkout of hotel & trip to airport, do in-town check-in at AE Station.

End of cruise/disembark in HK on Sunday morning - taxi to Kowloon AE Station, in-town check-in for homebound flight for late night, keep carry-ons ... enjoy a Sunday dim sum brunch, maybe even ride MTR out to the countryside to see the NT, places like ShaTin, huge multi-story indoor shopping malls & food courts, fine dining (regardless of weather & cold) Ride the light rail in NT serving the satellite cities, towns & villages. Or, you might want to do a day trip to Cheung Chau, island with no motor vehicles, only bikes - for seafood, many expats & foreign nationals living/working in HK take up residence here, it's a short 30 minutes ferry ride to commute to Central daily for work & business, etc.

Here is a good size MTR Station Map - PDF format, something you can save to your smartphone/iPad/tablets for easy reference on the go - https://www.travelchinaguide.com/images/map/hongkong/metro.jpg

This is a guide to typical taxi fares in HK (red, urban ones are what most tourists take & go almost everywhere & anywhere). Green ones served mainly NT & select parts of Lantau. Blue taxis are Lantau only - you take those to/from Tung Chung station/MTR/mall & walk to nearby NP 360 for the Budda ride (2 to 3 blocks) - taxi fares about $50 HKD for a 10 minutes quick ride vs. bus fares of less than $11 for 3 adults to/from airport & Tung Chung (trip time is 10 to 15 minutes)

TigerAir has a limit of 7 kg or 15 lbs. for free cabin luggage, our typical Amercia-sized 20" or 22" itself is 7 to 10+ lbs - you can pay extra fees in advance or at check-in for bags up to 12 kg or 26 lbs.

https://www.tigerair.com/news/TT_20150318_20150317.pdf

FYI - I travel overseas with eBags convertible (Mother Lode 22") backpack that's about 5 lbs emptied & typically 25 to 35 lbs with all the digital gadgets & notebook PC/tablets, etc. + change of clothes. The wheeled 22" carry-on duffel by eBags replaced an aging Travelpro is my main bag, sometimes checked as luggage if not using a Kirkland 22.75" expandable rollers (that's heavy at 11.5 lbs empty) but expand everything needed for 2 weeks - with the backpack as 2nd piece. Are 3 of you sharing one carry-on or each of you taking one along - either pay the extra fees or switch to a lighter canvas/duffel bag so that you can - actually - pack items in your cabin bag. Friend of mine once travel with a big shopping bag, light, sturdy & functional - not to impress anyone, LOL.

Most if not all hotels don't have centralize heating system - usually they are insulated well enough to avoid the chills & cold drafts, window or wall mounted HVAC units have both AC & heating functions, user-adjustable - only worry if booking/staying at a "guest house" or airbnb or local residence of a friend or relative. But, when in doubt, call the front desk & ask, confirm before booking (unnecessary, IMO)

Thoughts about the sequence & suggested alternative plans and days to do it.

Dear mking;

listened o you advices and went crazy booking hotels...I 5 upuntil now, all fully cancelable and no deposit.

here what I have booked, plese let me know what you think:

1/ MetroPark Kowloon ( Mong Kok's room are non-refundable)

family triple 3 twins $1129 CDN

2/ Metro Winner (230m from Yau Ma Tei)

2 rooms $1060 CDN

3/ Cosmopolitan Hotel ( 1km from Wan Chai)

Family triple with 3 twins $1179 CDN ( I can book it directly on their website for cheaper $1109 buthave to pay right away)

4/Dorsett Mong Kok (900 m from Mong Kok)

family quadruple with 1 queen and 2 twins $1303 ( I can also book on their website for appr. $1170 CDN but have to pay right away)

5/ Evergreen Hotel ( 400m from Jordan)

2 rooms $1017 CDN

As you can see, it will probalby be around $1000-$1200 CDN for the 4 days. Those are the cheapest and most convenient hotels I have found. What do you think?

The Dorsett is my favorite, but I am reluctant to book a non-refundable rate. and having 2 bathrooms is always a plus so the Metro Winner ( a new hotel??? can't find any review on Tripadvisor) is also very attractive.

Thanks for the outlined itinerary. It will all depends if we are booked on the Kowloon side or Hk island side.

Tuesday Dec 27th, will probably a very short day, just diner then bed. We should arrive around 15:00 after 29 hours of traveling so we'll be way too exhausted to doanything.

Wed Dec 28th: Probably take the Star ferry, go to the Peak, stay in Central and Causeway bay, night light show

Thursday Dec 29th: If not too tired, go to Macau

Friday Dec 30th: Kowloon side, night markets, probably dinner with the relatives :-(((

Saturday Dec 31st: Fly to Singapore

Arrive back in HK Sat Jan 13th: free time do see what we miss

Sund Jan 14th: get off ship, go to Kowloon AE, drop luggage and free time. If weather is nice, Big Buddha.

What do you think of this? Is it doable?

I will probably have to buy the extra allowance for carry-on. We have one roller carry-on where we put all the heavy stuff so 7kg will not be enough.

Thanks for the tip.

Now, any tip for octopus card for visitor? We'll be there 4 days and 2 days at the end of the trip. What type of card should we buy?

Thanks

... here what I have booked, plese let me know what you think:

From your profile - you are a seasoned CC on many cruises - question is how important are room size / space to 3 of you vs. 2 bathrooms - convenience over location vs. services

1. Metropark, Waterloo Road area - good size hotel in # of rooms, full service but not competitive in price, better choice - consider cancelling & not hold.

2. Metro Winner, Yau Ma Tai is new but small, limited services - price looks good, keep it as a backup.

3. Cosmopolitan, Wanchi - advantage, on the island - away from the Kowloon side, where frequent civic protests & demonstrations took place along Nathan Road corridor. Triple rooms are a good size at 27 or 28 sq.m or 300+ sq. ft. Keep it for now.

4. Dorsett, Mong Kok - out of the core area, between Olympic MTR station & Mong Kok MTR station, both a long walk (part of several chains under the same Dorsett brand name) We would pick something a little closer on the main MTR/bus lines - it's in the new mixed use residential-commercial area on landfills - easy to jump into a taxi for the airport.

5. Evergreen, YMT/Jordan - small hotel, nothing really stand out, small & been around, might not be as desirable.

Have you looked at Eaton Hotel, right on Nathan Road in the Jordan/YMT area, next to the Novotel H, Nathan H & just 2 or 3 blocks from/to the Metro Winner & Evergreen - looked it up on Booking dot com (not on Agoda's booking site) with 450+ rooms in variety of configurations - some of the non-refundable rates are very, very attractive. Like the Cosmo - it offered complimentary use of a smartphone, 3G data access & calls, and almost all hotels have free WiFi these days, unlike a few years back - for competitive reasons.

If you are familiar with Flyertalk forum, have a look there under the HK forum, I've linked that previously (I believe) - seasoned business & experienced flyers often shared updates about some of the hotels & what's up & coming, etc.

In terms of your plans for that Saturday-Sunday post-cruise, what is your plan if the weather ruled out a trip to see the Budda, lines for the cable car ride & # of tourists flocking to Lantau will be high & up on a Sunday (plus, good chance of running into fellow pax from your ship - crowded) Timing-wise - how much time do you plan to spend at Po Lin/Giant Budda as your flight is midnight, and you don't need to be at HKIA until 10 PM to quickly go thru border control, security & get to your departure gate (by then, you would've arrived & departed the airport/terminals 3X and very familiar with it) Do you plan to eat dinner in Tung Chung / upstairs at the outlet mall is an int'l food court, good fast food & 2 or 3 upscale dining options (there was/is a Vietnamese one there a few years ago, not sure if it's still there) on a different level - or, head back to the hotel & hangout there for a few hours & eat at the airport (which, actually - has wide variety of food choices, somewhat pricey but not as bad as JFK, SFO, or YVR, etc.)

Luggage storage at the airport will probably run you about $60 HKD or $10 CDN (based on what they charged at the AE in-town - KL or HK stations) Taxi to Tung Chun is about $55 or $110 RT or $19 CDN

Perhaps, you want to consider going to Lantau on Friday before the cruise & save that Sunday as a backup (in case Victoria Peak or Lantau couldn't be done) - definitely try to fit Macau in on a weekday. Postcruise, take your time onboard - then, taxi to AE Station in Kowloon to do the in-town check-in & get BP' issued, just keep your single carry-on roller (don't worry, tons of mainland tourists walked all over the city doing so as they shop-till-they-drop w. premium goods, duty-free or otherwise) - have a nice lunch somewhere.

Sunday is usually day-off for most folks in HK, relatives might find it easier to meet for socialize, do a nice & long dinner (in between - you can do a side trip somewhere ... Wong Tai Sin Temple or musuems, maybe catch an afternoon concert at the cultural centre next to the space musuem in TST ... or, keep warm & finding a nice indoor mall) before saying goodbye - then, catch the free shuttle bus either Kowloon or Hong Kong side to AE Station, then a quick 25 minutes ride to the airport (leave no later than 10 PM, 9:30 PM if you are worried - as getting airside is a no-brainer)

Depending on how you plan to schedule your stops & days, the tourist pass combo w. AE trip (1 trip or 2 trips) plus 3 days unlimited use @ #250 or $350 HKD per pass, might not be the best; unlimited single day pass is $65 p/p for adults for any 1 day, except AE train use & MTR bus. Compared to the regular Octopus card, you can purchase/ride the AE train and enjoy a 2, 3 or 4 person discount.

However, your plan is to see Macau on Thursday or Friday, so the AE +3 days visitior passes are of limited value, and you still need to travel around town on Wednesday. Tuesday, your plan to just taxi to hotel from airport on arriva is fine, check-in, relax, eat dinner, shower & sleep - no need to take MTR or buses, stay local. Complicated, huh - it is - here are the info on Visitor's Pass - details on the Octopus Card is elsewhere ... (see 2nd. link below) https://www.paydollar.com/b2c2/AELControlServlet?action=aelshop&catid=20501

http://onlineshop.octopus.com.hk/cart/index.jsp?language=en

... to be continued

Edited by mking8288

Hi mking;

The first 2 hotels that DH wanted me to check were Nathan notel and Eaton hotel. I was taken back by the high refundable rate. Let me have a look at the non-refundable rate again and see if it is cheaper.

I like the Cosmopolitan hotel too but do you think being that far from the MTR ( they have a very comprehensive shuttle service) makes it hard tog et around?

The 2 hotels I am leaning towards are the Cosmopolitan ( really big and nice room) and the Metro Winner (2 bathrooms make a big difference when you have a teenager).

I'll get back to you once I check the Nathan and Eaton non-refundable rate.

I am familiar with Flyertalk but don't go very often. I find that it is easier here on CC and Tripadvisor. There is always someone very helpful ( like you) to give some wonderful advices.

Let me do some reading on the Octopus card and I'll have some questions later. So if I understand correctly, we cna buy a regular Octopus card for each person at the airport. What is the cost of the card and the minimum loading amount?

Can we pay the card with a credit card like in London or we have to have local currency?

One last question, if weather permits it, will a 22" carry-on make the trip to see Big Buddha difficult?

BTW, I checked with Tigeair and the carry-on allowance for HKG-SIN is 10kg. I can't not pay to get more so I will look into having a lighter carry-on. Any thought on the IT or the Lucas Vortex carry-on?

They look flimsy though, look like just a thin nylon bag. I have back problem so havng something like your bag will not be suitable for me :-(

Have a nice week-end.

While technically Cosmopolitan is in the Wanchai district, it is perhaps easier to walk to the Causeway Bay MTR station. The walk may be longer slightly, but much easier and less crowded. Walk along Leighton towards east, in about 7 to 10 minutes, you would reach Leighton Centre (Crowne Plaza Express on the other side of the road). Turn left, and then you will find Times Square, a massive shopping mall, which is connected to the CWB MTR station through its basement. This is upscale territory relative to Mongkok, all kinds of shops and restaurants opening late in the night. Safe too.

If you wish to walk to Wanchai, there are several routes, the shortest way is to turn left when you exit the hotel, walk up the hill, pass the Sikh Temple and then down hill until you reach the old Wanchai Market. This stretch is quiet, no shops and few pedestrians and not much fun. But once you reach the old market, make a right turn and walk through a typical open air roadside wet market (Wanchai Road) which can be fun during the day. Then you shall reach Johnston Road and the Wanchai Station.

Across from the Cosmopolitan is the Happy Valley racecourse of the HK Jockey Club. I think the hotel has two buildings, with a residential building sandwiched between them.

Sky Shield