What to do with luggage with flight leaving at midnight ( Hong Kong)?

stefanny28

Hi everyone;

I am starting to look at flight for my Celebrity Millenium cruise ( Singapore to Hong Kong) and I found some great deal but the return flight leaves at midnight and we are getting off the ship at 9:00 AM at the latest.

What should we do with our luggage for all those hours?

Is there a storage or locker facility nearby ?

I saw somewhere in my researches that there is a possibility to check in your luggage ealy in town without having to go all the way to the airport, could someone gives me more info on how it works?

I looked at the cruise line post-cruise excursion and there is nothing offered so I hope to get some suggestins from you all.

Thanks

You can get yourself to the Kowloon Airport Express station and check-in your baggage and get your boarding passes with your airline:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_checkin.html

You must get Airport Express tickets for the airport to use this service, but you have the rest of the day to get to the airport.

Although you have your boarding passes, please allow sufficient time to clear immigration at the airport.

Dear Philob;

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that I fully understand yet how it works.

Let me summarized what I understood and myabe you can help with the rest.

So, get a taxi from the cruise port and go to Kow Loon MTR.

Go to the Airport Express counter and buy the Airport Express tickets???

By buying the AE tickets, I can then check in my luggages?

Then I am free to explore HK and come back later, use the Aiport Express train to go to the airport?

How much time before my flight ( midnight) should I plan to go to the airport with the Airport Express train?

How much is the AE ticket/person?

Why some peole are mentioning getting an Octopus card? What is the diference between the Octopus card and the AE ticket?

Sorry for being so slow. I just can't seem to grasp the step-by-step.

Yes you buy an Airport Express ticket, discounts may apply.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/promotions_4persons.html

The ticket will allow you entry into the airline check-in area. Find your airline, check-in as you would at the airport.

Leave the station and explore HK for the day.

At the end of your day, just go back to the AE station and take the quick 20? minute trip to the airport. It stops right at the terminal.

I'm a worry wort and get to the airport about 2 hrs before departure and have a relaxing late night snack at one of the airport restaurants and go through immigration/security at least an hour before departure.

The Octopus Card is a transit pass allowing you to use the various public transport methods: Bus or MTR (subway). IIRC the AE is an express train that serves only the airport and the expo hall beyond the airport. The AE stations will be part of, but separate, from the regular MTR stations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card

Edited by Philob

Dear Philob;

OK, now I understand:

Taxi to Kowloon

Buy AE ticket to get into the check in area

Check in at airline counter

Get out of check in area and go visit HK

Come back at least 3 hours before flight time, use the previous AE ticket to take the AE train to airport

Did I got it right?

One more question: how much is the AE ticket for one person?

Is there a student discount for under 18?

How do I find out if Finnair have a couter in Kowloon or Hong Kong MTR?

Thanks

The first link to the check-in info has a link to the airlines served.

The second link is the rates, sorry no discounts for 18yo; my Kid paid full fare as they didn't have the group discount last we used it.

Just to add to above posted links -

When disembarking the ship & taking a taxi, be sure to tell the driver to take you to the Kowloon Airport Express Station (not just any MTR Station) - as there are basically two AE stations in town, 1 on the island side (Hong Kong AE Station) and 1 on the peninsula side (Kowloon AE Station) in Tsim Sha Tsui West, directly above the mutli-story shopping mall complex.

The regular one-way/single trip AE train fare from Kowloon Station is $90 HKD per adult ($100 from HK Station) and there are group discount (15% to 30% off) available for 2, 3 and 4 travelers using the same (Octopus) fare card with enough "stored" values on it. MTR's AE staff in the station can assist you to selecting & purchasing and loading (buying) enough funds on the fare card. For a single day visit, the $250 AE Travel Pass is not recommended, unless you plan to use it for other purchases as noted below. https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/corporate/en/press_release/PR-16-007-E.pdf

If you plan to sightsee the rest of the day using trains and light rails - the Tourist Adult Day Pass for $65 p/p is an option. Otherwise, for travel & sightseeing involving buses, ferries or perhaps the Peak Tram up to Victoria Peak (and, for the brave ones - the local PMB or Public Mini Buses) - get a regular Octopus Card since it can also be used locally at one of the hundreds of 7-11's or McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. to buy a cup of coffee, cold beverage or snacks, etc. - used like a smart cash debit card, just wave at the POS terminal (no need to "swipe" it as it basically used NFC technology) and complete the purchase, funds taken against the available stored value. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/day_pass_tourist.html

After dropping off luggage & completing in-town check-in, available for same day flights (some airlines permit early check-in for next day flights) & obtaining Board Passes & seat assignment (it's like in-terminal airline manned check-in) - you have the rest of the day to sightsee in the city; and, there is comlimentary shuttle services - on a # of short routes - stopping at mostly hotels but also some MTR stations - you can take it to TST, Nathan Road or even Mong Kok (thus, saving you a bus or MTR train trip or walking - as HK is humid & warm, if not hot, for most visitors even in April/May and in Sept/October or November) The bus stops are marked - the return to the AE Station is usually on the opposite side or nearby, ask the shuttle driver as you get off if you might return to the same spot to go back & catch the AE train in the evening. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

There is a Tsing Yi AE Station heading to/from the airport, most often used by locals familiar with the system for transfer/boarding using other local MTR routes (there is no porter services or shuttle buses there).

For a virtual view from YT - here's the exterior, street-level outside view of the Kowloon AE Station complex -

Inside AE Station & check-in area -

First part of video - quick look of the free Shuttle Bus to Nathan Road, Route K3

thanks for all the extremly helpful infos.

If i want to call the finnair in town check in counter at kow loon station from canada, how do i do it if the phone number is 2216 1088?

Do i dial 011 then 2216 1088?

011 852 2216 1088

Then I am free to explore HK and come back later, use the Aiport Express train to go to the airport?
Just one small addition to the advice you've been given: After you've checked your bags and then left the Airport Express station, you don't thereafter have to go back there or use the Airport Express to go to the airport. You are actually free to go to the airport by any other means you like; buying the Airport Express ticket is simply a condition of using the in-town check-in facility.

Of course, most of the time it will make sense to use the trip that you've already paid for; but there are circumstances when it would make more sense to go to the airport under your own steam and just throw away the ticket.

Last year i dropped off all my luggage at the airport, left luggage wasnt expensive and easy to find. Then took the bus to the 360 cable car to lantau island, bus cost just pennies. Google 360 cable car lantau island, big budda is fab. Evening sunset trips also available. If you are fit, then there is a path so you can walk to the budha instead of the cable car. There are shops, restaurants too. My cable car video is on youtube, look me up carah70 and click on playlist ... Timelapse

Last year i dropped off all my luggage at the airport, left luggage wasnt expensive and easy to find. Then took the bus to the 360 cable car to lantau island, bus cost just pennies. Google 360 cable car lantau island, big budda is fab. Evening sunset trips also available. If you are fit, then there is a path so you can walk to the budha instead of the cable car. There are shops, restaurants too. My cable car video is on youtube, look me up carah70 and click on playlist ... Timelapse

Great suggestion.

Does it means that instead of dropping the luggage at the Aiport Express, you take your luggage and go directly to the airport and from then, go to Lantau island?

Do you remember which bus number?

How long is the bus trip?

Great suggestion.

Does it means that instead of dropping the luggage at the Aiport Express, you take your luggage and go directly to the airport and from then, go to Lantau island?

You can still check your luggage at Kowloon Station or Hong Kong Station then take the Airport Express to the airport. The airport is on the same island as the giant Buddha.

Great suggestion.

If you are leaving the ship and going directly to the airport then yes you can go directly to the airport with your luggage and leave it at left luggage. Bus S1, airport to Tung Chung MTR, from recollection I think it was about 10 - 15 mins. I'm on my iPad so can't copy & paste links for you, but if go on YouTube then you'll be able to find some really informative videos

It's fairly common & nothing unusual all over Hong Kong for tourists, visitors & anyone else for that matter - to be pulling luggage on wheels - rollers & spinners - as they shop & sightsee. http://std.stheadline.com/inewsmedia/20160412/__20160412202538533424(1)_popup.jpg (these looked like typical mainland Chinese tourists)

Be mindful that "ordinary" buses & trains are often packed full, especially at rush hours with bigger carry-on luggage - AE trains and cable car ride @ NP360 to/from Big Budda should be fine, nor is there security screening. Dedicated Cityflyer bus routes serving the airport have limited lugage rack for bags - often, fill to capacity.

Check the weather forecast - NP 360 was shut down for a while this weekend for safety reasons due to thunderstorm activities forecasted (and, often for high wind)