Is it THAT Much Better?

CruzerDeb

I've done that too. Nothing at all wrong with that option. I have enjoyed my 2 times staying on St Thomas with that route. However, there's also nothing wrong with going over to St John. And having done that twice, and my parents have done it 3 times, I can assure people that it is not stressful at all to go over to St John on your own. It's actually quite easy. You do have extra waiting for the ferries & the ferry rides, which cuts into your beach time, but it's not stressful. If you prefer to have the more beach time, stay on St Thomas. If you want a more beautiful island & beach (not taking away from the beauty of St Thomas) & don't mind a little less beach time as a trade-off, go over to St John. It's personal preference. I have been very blessed to be able to do both options twice, and I have thoroughly enjoyed all 4 trips to these islands.

The comments merely noted that you get more beach time (up to 2.5 hrs more) by choosing a beach on STT. But if limin' on a gorgeous beach isn't your main goal, the ferry across to STJ and taxi to a beach gives you some time to relax there and experience a little of STJ by adding an island tour.

We'd prefer to visit STJ while staying on STT rather than during a cruise stop just because our time isn't limited as much. But with longer port times it's obviously more worth the travel time...

A lot depends on the time in port and what you feel like doing when you arrive, (and the weather), and the great thing is by planning your own excursion to STJ you can decide that day!

Edited by blue_water

Since timing has been brought up, I would say that you can still have plenty of time on St John going over there on your own as a cruise stop in St Thomas. Just be ready to go as soon as the ship docks. For example, using a short 8-hour time in port (9am-5pm):

9am: Ship docks. Get off, grab a cab to Red Hook.

10am: Get on the 10am ferry to St John. Then, take a cab to whatever beach you want: Trunk Bay (spectacular), Cinnamon Bay, etc.

10:45am-1:30pm: Enjoy the beach for almost 3 hours.

1:30-2:00: Take a cab back to catch the 2:00 ferry back to Red Hook.

2:30-2:45: Get off the ferry, take a cab back to the ship, with 2 hours to spare.

Just curious when you say "grab a cab", do you mean one of those open air safari buses or a real cab? If a real cab, do you know about how much they charge per person?

Thanks for your help! :)

Just curious when you say "grab a cab", do you mean one of those open air safari buses or a real cab? If a real cab, do you know about how much they charge per person?

Thanks for your help! :)

There will be several open-sided safari taxis waiting to whisk folks to various parts of the island, a taxi coordinator can direct you to a waiting taxi heading to the Red Hook ferry for $10pp each way. The ferry is $7pp and taxi to a beach is $7pp so the total is about $48pp round trip unless you add the island tour then it is about $66pp.

The open air safaris and the taxi vans both charge the same. There are very few vehicles that would pass as a "cab" by most people's definition. :D

If you are thinking of the safaris that run the bus route, they don't pick you up at the dock nor will they take you directly to a beach.

Blue Water and everyone - thanks for all the great advice. I just posted another thread about this (that I wish I hadn't because I think all my questions have been answered here).

As of now . . . staying on St. Thomas wins! I'm thinking Sapphire. God only knows how many times I'll change my mind before September! :eek:

"

OR...

9am: Ship docks. Get off, grab a cab to a beach on St Thomas.

9:30am: Enjoy your beach...Eat lunch...Float in the water...Have a cocktail...Enjoy

4pm: Go back to the ship relaxed and refreshed...

In looking at the info I can find on Sapphire -- can I eat get lunch and a cocktail here? Banana Cabana is still open, right? Have any of the amenities reopened (i.e., bathroom???)?

In looking at the info I can find on Sapphire -- can I eat get lunch and a cocktail here? Banana Cabana is still open, right? Have any of the amenities reopened (i.e., bathroom???)?

Yes to the lunch and cocktails and restrooms.

Banana Cabana beach grill is located between condo bldgs B & C (bldg A is next to the dive center) and they sell excellent mahi mahi sandwiches and other sandwiches and snacks and drinks. The mahi mahi is $14 but it is soooo good, and big enough to share. Also beers and tropical drinks. You can order there and return in 10 minutes to pick it up, or they have a runner taking orders on the beach.

There is also a runner taking orders from the restaurant up the hill behind the marina.

The dive center also sells rum punches and canned beers (Heinekin, Coors, Bud light I believe) for $1 less than BC.

Just pay for a lounge ($9) and have the guy deliver it to your shaded spot and enjoy the gorgeous water and island views. Or lay a towel on the sand for free. The beach area in front of the dive center and to the right as you face the water will be more crowded because that's the swimming area. But the area to the right (as seen in the webcam shot) is less busy and offers natural shade by the water. The two-tiered pool is for condo guests only.

Have you watched the drone video at this site?

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water