Cab vs Free Shuttle to Car Rental Agency

splitpeaz

For cruisers that have rented vehicles in port (Hilo/Honolulu/Nawilili/Lahaina)

Is it worth taking a cab to the rental office to *hopefully* get there before the shuttle bus arrives with other passengers.

Im not sure how busy the ports will be during our trip and the last thing we want to do is spend the first few hours in each port waiting in line.

Is there a website where I can see how many cruise ships are in port on the same day that we are in the above mentioned ports? That may be handy info to have!

THANKS!

For cruisers that have rented vehicles in port (Hilo/Honolulu/Nawilili/Lahaina)

Is it worth taking a cab to the rental office to *hopefully* get there before the shuttle bus arrives with other passengers.

Im not sure how busy the ports will be during our trip and the last thing we want to do is spend the first few hours in each port waiting in line.

Is there a website where I can see how many cruise ships are in port on the same day that we are in the above mentioned ports? That may be handy info to have!

THANKS!

http://ports.cruisett.com/ link for cruise ship port schedules

I don't know about taking a cab, but I did make sure that I joined the club for each car rental agency I was going to use. That way I could go through the "VIP" line which is generally shorter.

We joined the VIP club, too, but only had to utilize it one time and I think that was Maui (Kahului).

I've read where people end up in long lines, and I've read where there were no lines at all (that was our experience, for the most part). I've also read where people have taken cabs and that worked out well for them. I'm sure it certainly won't hurt to take one, but I'm not sure how necessary it is, either.

So, that said, I don't think I was very helpful all. :D

Enjoy your cruise and HAWAII! :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

In Hilo we just made sure we were ready to walk off when the OK was given. We were the only ones on the shuttle to the airport, which is only a 5-10 minute drive away. At the airport there was one person in line in front of us. When we returned the car there was a long line and the shuttle was stuffed full of people going back to the port.

http://ports.cruisett.com/ link for cruise ship port schedules

I don't know about taking a cab, but I did make sure that I joined the club for each car rental agency I was going to use. That way I could go through the "VIP" line which is generally shorter.

Absolutely do this. We were on Kauai 2 weeks ago with a Thrifty rental. As Blue Chip members, we had a special line and were served right away.