Carnival Glory newbie questions

RMac713

Looking at either Carnival Glory, or Celebrity Reflection next March. Clueless about both lines; have taken 3 Disney cruises but no kids this time.

Questions about Glory;

how much would a drink package be for sodas for my husband, and water and iced tea for us both? I would have the occasional "boat drink" but not enough to include booze in the package. Is there a self-serve station?

Does the adult only area on Glory have a pool? That's where we'd be spending most of our on deck time.

How is the spa? I like the rainforest room type options.

Is the suite upgrade worth it for early embarkation, etc?

Any deals going on or on the horizon? I am talking to a TA soon. What is the refund policy? I'll be insuring through a third party company.

Thanks for any help?

I have been on both and the Reflection wins hands down.

Check out the deals that Celebrity has where you can pick your perk.

The soda package on Carnival is $6.50 pp per day plus 15% gratuity. I think Celebrity's is slightly more.

Serenity does not have a pool, but nice loungers and 2 hot tubs. If you want an all adults pool you have to go to the aft where the Pizza Pirate and Azure Bar are. It's not a kid free zone though so be aware. On Reflection there is an adult only, larger pool.

Celebrity's spa is much nicer. If you want the whole experience, go for an AquaClass room on the Reflection.

Was on the Glory for 3 weeks this past January and I will say if you are trying to pick between the Glory and the Reflection...pick the Reflection!

Glory's entertainment was basically non existent, no pool in the Serenity area, they do have an adults only pool but the area is not Adults only.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Is all else equal between the two sailings? I mean would you be just as happy with the price, itinerary, etc on the Reflection as the Glory? I've never been on Reflection, but I'd choose that in a heartbeat if all else was equal.

Nothing against the Glory, it's a nice ship, but X might be more your style.

As for the suite upgrade, on Carnival I'd say it's not worth it. I'd hold out for FTTF if priority embarkation is important. X offers more amenities for suites so you'd need to weigh whether or not it offers enough value to you.

They are very similar. Both leave out of Miami on the same day. The Reflection sails to Cayman, Cozumel, Falmouth, and Labadee. The Glory sails to Cayman, Belize, Mahogany Bay, and Cozumel. Both would give us plenty of opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, etc. at the ports.

Price-wise Reflection is a little more, and more of their dining locations cost extra. My balcony room on Reflection would be the same as the ocean suite on the Glory, with a concierge class room another $300. I can get a free drink package and $300 in stateroom credit on reflection, though (OR free internet), which is a savings. So I have to consider if Reflection has enough places to eat that don't cost extra. I have read their buffet is better than Carnivals.

I'm just at the mercy of others' opinions! Many of my FB friends have just been on Carnival cruises, but a colleague here at work who cruises often and has been on several lines likes Celebrity a lot better.

Celebrity's buffet is a million times better both in food and layout. I have been on Reflection once and Glory 7 times. Reflection is the clear winner. There is plenty of food to eat on Celebrity that you don't have to pay for.

Edited by firemanbobswife

They are very similar. Both leave out of Miami on the same day. The Reflection sails to Cayman' date=' Cozumel, Falmouth, and Labadee. The Glory sails to Cayman, Belize, Mahogany Bay, and Cozumel. Both would give us plenty of opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, etc. at the ports.

Price-wise Reflection is a little more, and more of their dining locations cost extra. My balcony room on Reflection would be the same as the ocean suite on the Glory, with a concierge class room another $300. I can get a free drink package and $300 in stateroom credit on reflection, though (OR free internet), which is a savings. So I have to consider if Reflection has enough places to eat that don't cost extra. I have read their buffet is better than Carnivals.

I'm just at the mercy of others' opinions! Many of my FB friends have just been on Carnival cruises, but a colleague here at work who cruises often and has been on several lines likes Celebrity a lot better.[/quote']

well you know what they say about opinions... :D

I'm not going to knock Carnival, they have a great product and I have enjoyed every Carnival cruise I've been on. But I think you'll find X to be a level or two above. I'm basing this on talking to others, as I've never been on X. But given your options, I personally would pay for a suite on X.

I actually like the Glory itinerary better though. I love Labadee! But I think the combination of Belize/Mahogony Bay beats the combination of Labadee/Falmouth. Falmouth is really that bad... :D

Food is super subjective. I'm not a fan on Carnival's buffet, not for any meal. I don't like their new dining room menus either. But I *love* Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, and Fish & Chips on the Glory. Pizza is always solid as well.

Best of luck, I think you'll have an awesome time regardless of which you choose!

We went on the Glory over Thanksgiving last year. We had a fabulous time, as we do every cruise. However, a few things I took note of. This was our first time with the American Table menu. We didn't care for it. In 13 cruises, it was our least favorite dining experience. We didn't like that we had a booth instead of a table. It made it very cramped. Our waiters were not the best. We had one that was good, but they all seemed to not communicate with each other and always seemed very flustered. We are going on the Fantasy in a few weeks and are so excited they have the old menus. Serenity on the Glory was our least favorite. The hot tubs were out of service more than they were in. Just the overall feel of Serenity was kind of lackluster. Other than that, we had a fabulous time. I always say...being on a cruise is better than working! We make the best of any situation!

Well to throw a wrench in (and there is another thread on this) I've now been completely distracted by discovering the Carnival magic itinerary--Grand Turk, San Juan, Amber Cove, St. Thomas--have never been to any of those and they all look like great beach/snorkel ports. The Magic looks a touch nicer than the Glory as well.

Honestly I don't know what it is--everyone is steering me to Celebrity, including the TA in my husband's networking group who emailed me today, but I can't stop looking at the Carnival option.