Navigator VOOM Wi-Fi

zjc

I decided to ask Royal directly about the navigator wifi and them offering VOOM.

They said that Naviagtor will have VOOM for my sailing installed.

They also said Norway is not out of the range of the VOOM network.

According to them if the cruise planner shows VOOM packages it means it will be available on that sailing.

Sadly, I do not believe them.

Guess I will wait until we sail and buy wifi on board to see what it's like.

I decided to ask Royal directly about the navigator wifi and them offering VOOM.

According to them if the cruise planner shows VOOM packages it means it will be available on that sailing.

I hope it works out. I'm no expert, but everyone seems to think the system is designed for an equatorial rotation. Something to do with providing internet to developing countries. Norway was never that market.

Well, Norway may not be totally our of range, but it's in the limited service area.

Edited by clarea

so we still don't know if Navigator has or will have the VOOM they are selling us on the web site.... I signed up for it with the 30% discount and hopefully it will be there ...

Nope! I spoke to three people at Royal all who tell me a different story. This is typical for Royal Caribbean. I have never found there customer service useful.

I've sent an email off to see if I can get a solid reply and if so I'll update this thread.

The Twitter team for Royal seem to believe navigator will have VOOM and Norway is within the good coverage area and they told me they have checked this with the relevant teams.

Yet the C&A department said Naviagtor is not due to get VOOM till End of the year.

Who know:confused::confused:

I am on the same sailing, and I went ahead and purchased the surf package for one device. I don't plan to do anything that would require streaming, and hubby and I can trade times signing on.

The last time we cruised, internet was charged by the minute and added up to being MUCH more expensive than $9.99 per day. So as long as I can check my email and do a couple FB posts for that price, I'll be happy!

I hope it works out. I'm no expert, but everyone seems to think the system is designed for an equatorial rotation. Something to do with providing internet to developing countries. Norway was never that market.

We just departed Navigator last week and by far, there was NO voom available.

I am on Navigator later this year and was also curious of the Voom 'High speed internet access'. So I asked specifically for our cruise what bandwidth we could expect and if it would work in the cabin.

Here is the response:

'As of the 1st of May, all of our Royal Caribbean fleet has Voom high speed

internet service onboard. We do not have the specifics on how much

bandwidth you will have using this service, but you can rest assured that

you will be able to use this in your cabin. Once we get more technical

information we will let you know.'

So same vague answer as normal, not that I expected any better but you don't ask you don't get :).

An easy way to speed test on virtually all devices is http://www.speedof.me it doesn't use lots of java or flash etc so will work on most devices and give comparable results.

Edited by ched999uk

Just to update I decided to see if I could get this cleared up by dropping an email to the executive office to get some clarity on this so called VOOM roll out which has turned out not to be a rollout at all.

They categorgically told me in their phone call to me that VOOM is available now on every single ship. This coming from the executive office.

Sadly from the reports ive seen it seems the executive office have also now started to feed the same lies as everyone else at royal.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't suppose anyone currently on navigator has any updates on VOOM Internet and how it's performing.

I read the other day it was apparently being tested

Thanks

On the navigator this crossing and Internet is so so... Seems like it is better in certain parts of ship

Better than old internet but definitely not VOOM speed whatever fat means ?

On the navigator this crossing and Internet is so so... Seems like it is better in certain parts of ship

Better than old internet but definitely not VOOM speed whatever fat means ?

Have you done any speed tests?

Ran speed tests

Outside on deck 8 balcony

0.16 download 1.79 upload

Ran again and download was 0.40

Inside cabin ran 4 times from same spot

0.10 - 0.40 download

0.10 twice and 1.44-1.79 upload

What that that tell you?

Ran speed tests

0.10 - 0.40 download

What that that tell you?

Extremely slow download, but upload is better than I expected. Did you get ping times?

Ran speed tests

0.10 - 0.40 download

What that that tell you?

Thanks for posting these. Interesting to see that the upload speed is higher than the download speed its very rare you get them that way around.

By the looks of the download its certainly not VOOM and is not comparable with the Indy who is doing a similar crossing to Southampton.