Navigator VOOM Wi-Fi

zjc

Hi Guys

I'm sailing on Navigator on 30th May from Southampton to Norway.

The cruise planner online is offering 30% off VOOM packages. But I didn't think navigator had the VOOM wifi installed?

Can anyone confirm if the wifi system is being upgraded before my sailing? I would hate to book it and pay for VOOM only to board the ship and it be the old style wifi.

Thanks for your help

Zjc

There was no Voom in December.

Thanks, I don't think they should advertise it as VOOM packages in the pre cruise planner as it's misleading.

If I know it's going to be VOOM I'll buy it otherwise I'll be reluctant to buy anything.

Seems a good deal with the 30% off

Thanks, I don't think they should advertise it as VOOM packages in the pre cruise planner as it's misleading.

If I know it's going to be VOOM I'll buy it otherwise I'll be reluctant to buy anything.

Seems a good deal with the 30% off

Even with the non-Voom internet, it's a good deal with the 30% off.

VOOM will be fleet wide on May 1st

While RCI marketing says so, the actual speed of your WiFi is on the ship will depend on whether you have the new O3B hardware installed to support higher speeds. As of today, only 6 ships have that and other than perhaps Jewel in dry dock (and Harmony under construction), none of the others are likely to have it by May 1. You might get a discount on every ship with Voom, but you are not going to get the higher speed.:cool:

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I wish Royal would be a bit more clear - shouldn't be advising it as VOOM if there not sure they will have it

Voom is just marketing BS - what you actually get will vary by ship.

In any case, irrespective of whether the ship has the equipment on board, Southampton-Norway is outside O3b's service coverage zone (which is +/- 45 degrees latitude). There would be limited coverage at the southern end, but, depending on the ports of call, the cruise may go out of even the limited coverage zone (+/- 62 degrees, I think).

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I wish Royal would be a bit more clear - shouldn't be advising it as VOOM if there not sure they will have it

Unfortunately, it is not Royal's way to be clear when it comes to marketing claims.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I feel Royal should be more honest with the marketing surly it's false advertising to offer a VOOM surf and stream package on a ship that doesn't have VOOM so they know full well even if your paying more for the stream aspect you won't get it!

Edited by zjc

Thanks everyone for your replies! I feel Royal should be more honest with the marketing surly it's false advertising to offer a VOOM surf and stream package on a ship that doesn't have VOOM so they know full well even if your paying more for the stream aspect you won't get it!

Voom is cheaper than the old wifi prices. SO either way it's a better deal than the old wifi prices even if it is not voom. Speed will not be there like with voom, but if you would like them to change it back to the old marketing and charge you more, I'm sure they could work something out.

Voom is cheaper than the old wifi prices. SO either way it's a better deal than the old wifi prices even if it is not voom. Speed will not be there like with voom, but if you would like them to change it back to the old marketing and charge you more, I'm sure they could work something out.

I feel they should be honest with the marketing. If that means them charging the correct amounts then so be it.

What I don't agree with is them trying to sell me two VOOM packages;

Surf

Surf & Stream

With the stream package costing more than the surf package only to get the exact same speed as someone who purchased the Surf package. In my eyes this is misleading the customer into believing they are getting a better service than they are.

I'm sure many people who don't spend time on forums and are non the wiser will be "conned" into purchasing a surf and stream package only to find they cannot do any streaming at all and the extra money they paid goes straight into the Royal Caribbean Christmas party fund.

So in all honesty I would prefer them to charge me more for the old packages and be honest about it. Instead of trying to sell me a product which does not exist which in my eyes is more annoying

I am hoping that they do have the equipment on board and have worked out how to install it. Surely it cannot be that difficult! hope!!! :rolleyes: ;) :(

I feel they should be honest with the marketing. If that means them charging the correct amounts then so be it.

What I don't agree with is them trying to sell me two VOOM packages;

Surf

Surf & Stream

With the stream package costing more than the surf package only to get the exact same speed as someone who purchased the Surf package. In my eyes this is misleading the customer into believing they are getting a better service than they are.

Agree completely. However have you considered that they may have two service levels anyway. I've paid for the voom surf and stream with the expectation that the second will operate better/faster than the first. If I am not satisfied I will seek a refund (or if necessary a recharge through my credit card)

Edited by lucymorgan

I am hoping that they do have the equipment on board and have worked out how to install it. Surely it cannot be that difficult! hope!!! :rolleyes: ;) :(

Agree completely. However have you considered that they may have two service levels anyway. I've paid for the voom surf and stream with the expectation that the second will operate better/faster than the first. If I am not satisfied I will seek a refund (or if necessary a recharge through my credit card)

FYI - while it might be done faster during a dry dock, it took several weeks to install it on the Freedom which was sailing regular cruises. Installing new satellite dishes and all its supports is no easy/simple task. Even if they could, I don't believe RCI would bother to "tier" the WiFi on ships without real Voom - there's no point tiering a 50-100KBs connection.

FYI - while it might be done faster during a dry dock, it took several weeks to install it on the Freedom which was sailing regular cruises. Installing new satellite dishes and all its supports is no easy/simple task. Even if they could, I don't believe RCI would bother to "tier" the WiFi on ships without real Voom - there's no point tiering a 50-100KBs connection.

Thanks - is interesting to know that is can be installed while sailing. My next cruise is in August. Was it obvious to customers that they were installing it on the Freedom while sailing? If so, we might have to track the installations by ship. If not, perhaps it is already installed on the ships (or will be by the date offered).

edit: of course we all know that IT projects often run late! (30+ years in IT)

Edited by lucymorgan

Thanks - is interesting to know that is can be installed while sailing. My next cruise is in August. Was it obvious to customers that they were installing it on the Freedom while sailing? If so, we might have to track the installations by ship. If not, perhaps it is already installed on the ships (or will be by the date offered).

I believe it was obvious as they were installing more of the ball dome things that house the satellites.

Also usually they have that area closed off and usually some sort of description posted as to what they are up to, especially if it is something to improve customers experience etc etc.

Thanks - is interesting to know that is can be installed while sailing. My next cruise is in August. Was it obvious to customers that they were installing it on the Freedom while sailing?

Most of the obvious installation (dish mount, radome cover) took place on the turn around day in PC over several weeks. After all the obvious stuff was installed, I think it took another 2-3 weeks of testing before it became usable to the public.

Here are pics from what I believe was the second week of antenna installation. We even left a couple hours late because of it.

d1b11b4fec8238aa5a37bf2b3b1267dd.jpg

dd5ccf64372bf3cd835fef74d32ca5f2.jpg

1743310010890db5c957f10449350472.jpg

Closed off an area near Sky Bar.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by John&LaLa

Here are pics from what I believe was the second week of antenna installation. We even left a couple hours late because of it.

d1b11b4fec8238aa5a37bf2b3b1267dd.jpg

dd5ccf64372bf3cd835fef74d32ca5f2.jpg

1743310010890db5c957f10449350472.jpg

Closed off an area near Sky Bar.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Which ship is this?

Thanks

Zjc