Dining Onboard the Star

molymoo

We are booked on the Viking Homelands cruise in July and are quickly approaching the time to make some decisions ... tomorrow we select our shore excursions and next Sunday we will select dining options. I have a couple of questions regarding the dining and hope that someone with some experience can help as we narrow our selections.

The Chef's Table apparently has a menu that changes periodically. Does anyone know how often this change takes place? We can book two times and would like to have two different experiences if possible. How many days between bookings would help insure that we have a different menu each time?

Is the room service truly a 24 hours-a-day option? For example, if we have a shore excursion that begins at 7:00 AM could we have a breakfast in our stateroom at 6:00 AM?

Looking at the ship's deck plan we notice there is someplace called "The Kitchen Table" ... any idea what this is?

There are also two small places designated as "Private Dining 1" and "Private Dining 2" ... anyone have any idea what these are? Just curious!

Chefs table does rotate their menu - last I read I believe it was every 6 days....when we were on board it was every 9 days. Perhaps if you call customer service they could provide an updated rotation schedule. Of course someone on here will also be able to provide that.

24 hrs a day room service - while I cannot attest to middle of the night, we did frequently use this prior to early arrivals where we had plans and it was great. Always on time if not a few minutes early. The food was hot and well prepared...for room service!

The kitchen table we were able to enjoy during a private special event....and other than that it was not being used at the time - again someone can provide more updated info.

Be aware that any sea days do book more quickly at the specialty restaurants. That said, we had no problem when our booking window opened up. Also, if you don't get a time or date that you want ahead, when you get on board, the specialty restaurants have a desk near the Explorers desk. They will do everything possible to accommodate you if they are able.

The Kitchen Table's original concept was that on particular port days, a small group (with extra fee that I heard was $225 or $250 pp) would accompany the Chef to the local market in the port and then come back to the ship and prepare a gourmet feast under the chef's direction, which the group would then enjoy together that night. Apparently you had to be "invited" to participate, although I can't tell you what the criteria was. We were never invited and we were in a Junior Penthouse Suite for the whole 50-days, so I don't think it was related to cabin category.

I think this program ran once or twice on the 50-day maiden cruise, but it seemed to kind of fizzle. I asked about it at the Explorer's Desk and was simply told it had been discontinued. I don't know if this is what Vineyard View was mentioning in her post that she attended or whether she attended a different kind of private function.

My guess is now that it's just a private dining room that's available for special occasions.

Hi Elizabeth! Hope you two are doing well - about time for your river cruise I believe? Have a terrific time!

Yes, the original concept of Chefs table was just as you said - but what we attended was simply a private party - while wonderful - but no shopping and cooking involved with the chef - and while that sounded like a great concept, I am not so sure I would have gone that route had it been presented to me.

I have no idea what that area is used for present day.....

Hi-- just curious, but when does your cruise begin? We are on the Homelands cruise from Stockholm to Bergen on July 10-24.

Hi FFwineOK!

We are also booked on the July 10th sailing (Stockholm to Bergen). This is our second attempt at this trip ... were all booked and even had our dining selections completed and were hit with some pretty serious health issues which necessitated a cancellation of the trip.

We are hoping things go better this time around ... fingers crossed!

Hi to you Vineyard View! Yes - we leave tomorrow for Prague, will spend a week there on our own and then meet up with the Viking ship in Budapest for a cruise to Bucharest. Then 5 days in Transylvania with a private guide. Turned out to be cheaper, a day longer, and in the same hotel as Viking's extension. All packed and ready to go. What are you up to this year?

Hi Elizabeth! Great hearing from you! We Loved Budapest. Not sure if you have been - but if not a great city to explore on your own. We stayed over several days after river cruise, then continued on via train into Cesky Krumlov & Prague. Amazing trip. It always works better for us to book on our own pre and post cruise - on a whole lot of levels -so guessing that your choice is the same based on your comment. I will look forward to your post cruise review on this itinerary.

we focused on Africa this year....not via ship....safaris and Cape Town. Next year we are hoping to jump back on Viking......

Safe travels and have a great time!!! Take care both of you!!

Edited by Vineyard View