Using correct flight terminology: From a pilot

loubetti

So don't get those two confused, either, or else you could inadvertently fly into a very hard cloud.

AKA, "Cumulo-granite" :)

The altitude instructions remind me of when I was departing Amarillo. The controller had a Texas twangy drawl... "Cezzna fowar fahv Bravo, Ama-rilla departure. Clam and maytain nahn thousand fahv hunnerd. Report gittin' thahr " I could barely read back the instructions without laughing!

Edited by kenish

As someone else said.. "Good Catch". The transition altitude in NA is indeed 18000 ft. Below that is altitudes, at or above - flight levels.

Unless the controller is lazy (happens), the correct phraseology is.. climb/descent to twelve-12 thousand - not 120 or level 120 or flight level 120.

To expand on this further:

In the USA, the correct phraseology, for the controller, is "climb/descend and maintain 1-2- thousand". "Twelve thousand" can be used as emphasis: "Climb/descend and maintain 1-2-thousand, twelve thousand". Pilots can - and do - read it back any way they want.

I wanted to chime in earlier when you were discussing call signs, but as an air traffic controller, I didn't think you'd want me to play ;)

ETA: I meant to mention: last time I was on Norwegian Air's website, they used the term "direct" when they meant "non-stop". Drove me nuts. I was looking to see where the intermediate stop was.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I love watching the show Mayday on discovery, so many pilots make mistakes. The last one I watched the Captain was like landing check complete when they were almost on the ground and crashed, or where another Captain said 5 degrees flap on approach

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,as a mere peasant among the royalty of flying on these boards,I looked at flyertalk today and saw the headline,BA anounces the longest ever route LHR to Santiago 14 half hrs DIRECT.Has that put the cat amongst the pidgeons or does this poor reporter get hauled over the coals for this sacrelidge?Cheers,Brian.

I looked at flyertalk today and saw the headline,BA anounces the longest ever route LHR to Santiago 14 half hrs DIRECT.Has that put the cat amongst the pidgeons or does this poor reporter get hauled over the coals for this sacrelidge?
That offence is not as grave as the one committed by Business Traveller, which says:-
BA to fly direct to Doha and Muscat

British Airways is to convert its flights to Doha and Muscat to direct services from October 30.

The carrier currently offers a one-stop service to Doha via Bahrain, and to Muscat via Abu Dhabi.

The new direct services will operate daily from Heathrow T5 to Doha, and five times-weekly to Muscat. ...

But British Airways already flies direct to both Doha and Muscat - as the article itself says.

Hi,as a mere peasant among the royalty of flying on these boards,I looked at flyertalk today and saw the headline,BA anounces the longest ever route LHR to Santiago 14 half hrs DIRECT.Has that put the cat amongst the pidgeons or does this poor reporter get hauled over the coals for this sacrelidge?Cheers,Brian.
LHR-SCL doesn't even make it into the top 30 longest flights.

Now it might be the longest from LHR, or the longest BA but "longest ever"??