Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

Well first let me say you are doing your research. But let me point few things out.

Much repeating other person.

Cafe Soule is in the French Quarter several blocks from your hotel, and the WWII museum is like half mile walk from the hotel, so you would be going into the French Quarter then back out of the Quarter, and even if you use the street cars that will take some time as the cafe is not right on the street car and you would be negotiating the Quarter for your first time. And would hope the kids like that fancy cuisine. Think I would find a restaurant near hotel or museum. There are many. Google "restaurants near WWII museum" Herbsaint comes to mind though. From your hotel to the museum the street car really won't help much. You could walk.

Also if you want a real New Orleans iconic place with true New Orleans food look at Mothers. Will tell you there are often lines a meal times. Just down Poydras from the hotel.

Also the food at the museum is quite good.

Next I think it will take more than couple hours in the museum and the walking tour after will have you running from one to the other and pretty worn out that first day. The museum is not just one building and there are multiple floors also. Lots to see, read about, listen to and all.

I see where Yelp and Google reviews rate the Free tours by Foot very high. I have heard they do well because the better they do the more people pay. I will ask my concierge friends and maybe find out more.

Edited by ekajun1957

We aren't big sleep in kinda people, but hoping we can sleep until about 9am...fingers crossed...

We'll get up, take quick showers and head down to breakfast. After, we'll come back to get ready. The first thing I've booked this morning is another free walking tour. It's of the French Quarter. We will meet at 10:30 in front of the Andrew Jackson statue. DD is kinda obsessed? intrigued? by cemetaries so we'll book one of those, too. They just aren't open this far out to book. Also, thinking the Voodoo one might be fun? Guess we'll know more from our experience the night before.

From there, I don't really have a set schedule. Honestly, just haven't gotten that far. And, the streetcar maps don't make complete sense to me. I'm directionally challenged, it'll take me a bit to figure them out. I do know that we will want to check out the French Market and Cafe du Monde, as well as Rouse's Market and Bourbon Street (during the day). Thinking Mardi Gras World might be fun? I know it will be hotter than Hades so we'll have to head back to the hotel to take a break during the day. The rooftop pool sounds like it might hit the spot.

I know I'll have to get a hurricane at Pat O'Briens...any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner this day? I know we can snack at the hotel, but don't want to miss anything here that is a "must do". We will have a day after the cruise to hit up anything we must do, but I imagine we'll be tired and want to take it relatively easy that day.

As always, opinions/suggestions/"dont you dare" miss or do always welcome!

So very excited!! :D

Well first let me say you are doing your research. But let me point few things out.

Much repeating other person.

Cafe Soule is in the French Quarter several blocks from your hotel, and the WWII museum is like half mile walk from the hotel, so you would be going into the French Quarter then back out of the Quarter, and even if you use the street cars that will take some time as the cafe is not right on the street car and you would be negotiating the Quarter for your first time. And would hope the kids like that fancy cuisine. Think I would find a restaurant near hotel or museum. There are many. Google "restaurants near WWII museum" Herbsaint comes to mind though.

Also if you want a real New Orleans iconic place with true New Orleans food look at Mothers. Will tell you there are often lines a meal times. Just down Poydras from the hotel.

Also the food at the museum is quite good.

Next I think it will take more than couple hours in the museum and the walking tour after will have you running from one to the other and pretty worn out that first day. The museum is not just one building and there are multiple floors also. Lots to see, read about, listen to and all.

I see where Yelp and Google reviews rate the Free tours by Foot very high. I have heard they do well because the better they do the more people pay. I will ask my concierge friends and maybe find out more.

This is exactly why I post here! Need opinions from those who know! :D Thanks! We'll have another chance for Cafe Soule and while DS would love it, DD probably wouldn't. Also DS could spend all day in the museum while DD probably won't. I was hoping two hours would be good for him, but maybe I should make another plan for me and DD and let DS and DH stay as long as they like.

An alternative plan might be a restaurant in or near the museum, let DS and DH do the museum and find a cemetery tour for DD and myself (lord have mercy, it'll be HOT). Then everyone meet back at the hotel, whatever time that might be, to rest and eat. Then, those that want to, do the walking tour. It'll be mom and dad who are tired....my children easily go from 9am-midnight trekking back and forth all over a hilly amusement park in the heat...they are CRAZY...

You mentioned Herbsaint, would that be your choice in that area? Just curious, I know nothing about the restaurant scene! :o

Thanks again!!

Boarding the plan around 6 and landing in NOLA around 10. Figure we'll get our luggage and grab a taxi to the hotel (Anything I need to know about this? Looks like the cost will be about $56 for the 4 of us, right?). We will stay at the Drury Inn. Got a good deal online and with the added bonus of full breakfast, 3-10 free popcorn/sodas, and free dinner and drinks-couldn't pass it up. Looks like the St Charles streetcar is right there, too? Anyone confirm? Hoping they'll hold our luggage until check in. We'll be there around noon and can't check in until around 3...anyone have any experience with that at Drury?

Next, figured since this trip is really to celebrate the 16 year old and he LOVES all things history related that we'd head to the WWII museum. Looks like we can use the St Charles street car for that? Thinking of purchasing the Jazzy Pass before to have those on hand for street car ease. Oh, but wait, forgot lunch...before the museum, figure we'll be starving...been eyeing the Cafe Soule...Monte Cristo calling my name! Haven't researched it's location...best way to get there from Drury? Then we'll head to the museum.

Drury Inn is steps from St. Charles Avenue. You can definitely get the streetcar right there. I have never stayed at hotel that wouldn't hold luggage, shouldn't be a problem at all.

WWII is AMAZING. Not sure you will want to leave after a couple of hours. Never heard of Cafe Soule, but I checked the location and it's in the FQ, the opposite way of WWII museum. You can take the street car to Canal and walk from there. But WWII museum has a good restaurant as well, American Sector (John Besh), if you want to just eat there and save Cafe Soule for your return trip? Less running around on your first day.

You are correct on the taxi price, but you can Uber now from the airport and it's probably less expensive, though I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, sounds like Cafe Soule will be bumped. Totally fine...don't want to go in a different direction, especially when I don't know my way around! You are the second one that recommended the restaurant in the museum. Looks like I definitely need to check it out!

Glad to hear that I have a good chance with them holding the luggage. I've always stayed at places where I could, but haven't been to NOLA, wasn't sure if it would be different.

I've only used Uber once...that person drove me BONKERS...talked non stop, it was cheaper, and I felt safe. Might be a good option.

Thanks!!

This is exactly why I post here! Need opinions from those who know! :D Thanks! We'll have another chance for Cafe Soule and while DS would love it, DD probably wouldn't. Also DS could spend all day in the museum while DD probably won't. I was hoping two hours would be good for him, but maybe I should make another plan for me and DD and let DS and DH stay as long as they like.

An alternative plan might be a restaurant in or near the museum, let DS and DH do the museum and find a cemetery tour for DD and myself (lord have mercy, it'll be HOT). Then everyone meet back at the hotel, whatever time that might be, to rest and eat. Then, those that want to, do the walking tour. It'll be mom and dad who are tired....my children easily go from 9am-midnight trekking back and forth all over a hilly amusement park in the heat...they are CRAZY...

You mentioned Herbsaint, would that be your choice in that area? Just curious, I know nothing about the restaurant scene! :o

Thanks again!!

Herbsaint would be one of many, New Orleans is so hard for me to recommend one restaurant. But if you want a bit upscale then yes HerbSaint is a good choice for me. If you want New Orleans po boys, relaxed, and other local foods then Mothers, if the line is short.

Finally we'll get to board the Dream! So looking forward to this day! :D

I did purchase FTTF. I read a lot about it, and as it will be with several decision I made for this trip, decided it's our first cruise and we should try it out. I do like that we can go ahead and put out carry ons in the room right away. Not sure of the other benefits that we'll use, but we'll see...Our check in time is 10-10:30, but to be able to put our bags down, that alone is worth $60 to me. I realize I could just come later and walk right up and put our bags down...but, first cruise, and if you can't tell, just a little ready to get on that ship.... ;)

After checking out the cabin, I think the best lunch plan is Pasta Bella. I am pretty sure I've read that it's on deck 11...either take the stairs up behind the buffet or the elevator and go to the back of the ship? What's your favorite thing to eat there?

Next, I think we plan to just familiarize ourselves with the ship. I know we'll need to figure out where our muster drill is and that we'll want to get the kids to the kid's club to be sure they meet people before going the next day. I plan to pack our suits and check out the slides and spa (we got a spa cabin) on this first day.

And the first drink, it's a must! I did go with Cheers for this one. Even though I don't consider DH or myself to be big drinkers...haven't ever downed 15 drinks..but doing the math on what I think we'll drink (milkshakes, bottled water, specialty coffees, etc included) I know we'll more than break even. And, I not only pay for the drinks, but need the mindset that it's paid for (heck, I'm pre buying the $3 Jazzy pass for the street cars...I thrive on pre planning/pre paying). I know it doesn't make sense to everyone, but it's what works best for us. I will keep track and when I do a trip report, will let you all know how we fared. Again, it's our first cruise...want to do it all and see what works and what doesn't.

Hopefully before dinner, we'll have the opportunity to unpack our bags. This is one area where I'm not going crazy. Since we will be paying for our bags to travel (and we have Cheers), I'm not packing everything and the kitchen sink. I've traveled pretty extensively and know what I do and don't use. I also don't go overboard on clothing. My clothing for the week will fit in a carryon. I am a RN so I bring overload on medical needs, but other than that, we're pretty sparse. So each of us will have a carry on with our clothing and then two suitcases for the incidentals.

Cabin talk-we went with the spa balcony cabin. A big reason, access to the showers. A HUGE reason I haven't cruised before, I'm weird about bathrooms. Tiny showers=major anxiety. Having the access for DH and myself to use the spa showers, major plus. Again, first cruise=try it out. I'm thrilled with the idea of using the amenities of the spa and the access to showers made it a no brainer. This is probably terrible, but also, kinda love that the kiddos won't have access...serenity now.... :)

One last topic for this post-dining time...I've had all three for this booking...first, we're typically early eaters so I booked the early option...but then, got to thinking..we'll be up late/sleeping in/late back from excursions so I changed to late dining. Then got to thinking that it might interfere with some show options. Or what if we want to eat earlier...uggh, so I switched to anytime. We also have not cruised because DH has major anxiety about eating with people he doesn't know. Not so much that he doesn't like people, but he doesn't want to have to be "on" for every dinner. and I don't want to have to wait on late people....I think we've settled for anytime. I realize we'll have a wait sometimes and might not always have the same staff, but we're used to waiting at land restaurants and I don't mind new staff (might be better than the last!)

Whew, think that might be enough for today. Tomorrow...sea days!

Sea days...don't have a lot of plans...thinking Sea Day brunch (8:30-1) and 3pm tea...Camp Carnival looks to be open from 10-1, 2-5, and 7-10...

I'm sure we'll take advantage of the spa, maybe a little trivia, some lazy meals, dinner and then maybe a show...really, have no plans. For a planner like me to not have anything to plan, it's actually a little liberating. Not that I don't LOVE to plan, but when there is nothing to plan, can be kinda nice.

One of these nights will be elegant night. I'm thinking this dress will work for that...http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/personal-essayist-dress-in-navy

Easy to pack, looks nice, I think it'll work. Have another dress from this site that I can't find online. It is more A-line, figured it might work best for the second elegant night...no waist line...:eek:

Anything not to miss on these two sea days? :confused:

Up next, Roatan!

First port day! :p ROATAN!!

Ports are a little difficult for me...I go back and forth. Should we take it easy? Stay on the boat? Book through Carnival? Book independently? I try hard not to involve my family with my incessant planning. It drives them a little more than bonkers. Don't get me wrong, they enjoy the benefits, just don't want me to ask them a million questions 10 months before...

I've asked them what are things they'd like to do while in port...what things would they like to see? Experience? All they said is swim with dolphins. Uggh...

From what I've researched, sounds like the Dolphin Beach Encounter at Anthony's Key resort will work for us. I haven't reserved it yet, you can't this early. It's the biggest thing I haven't reserved so far. I much prefer the ones that I can go ahead and take care of, not sure when they open those, but I'll keep checking. Anyone done this excursion? Any tips or hints?

So planning is my jam….in that, I’ve planned vacations (down to what we’ll eat) that we’ve never taken. I really love to plan. Friends have let me plan their vacations for them. So fun!

To prepare (and pass the time) for this trip, I’ve planned to do a pre trip review. It will help me stay organized and I’d love to share (and learn from you) all the ins and outs, do and donts, what to pack vs what to leave at home…well, you get the drill.

First planning post….fly or drive? We only looked to sail out of New Orleans. We have never been (even though we have family about two hours from NOLA….) and hear it’s a must do. DS loves to explore new places. At first, we were all about driving. It’s 10 hours. Not great, but doable. I started planning it out…what stops, leave a day early possibly, etc. Then I started thinking about the drive home. That already depresses me. The drive down, you’re super excited. The drive back, AWFUL. I refuse to fly anything but Southwest because I am NOT paying for my bags to fly. Tulsa is a little over an hour away…I did the math….gas/hotel/food/etc vs flying (still adding in food) and parking at the airport vs parking at the port…it would cost about $600 more…that’s probably worth it, right? But we’re planning to spend 2-3 days in NOLA after the cruise…we’ll need a car, right? Well, maybe not…I hear it’s easy to get around on foot and public transportation…thoughts? :confused:

Hey there. My family and I actually took a cruise out of New Orleans on the Dream in 2014, and we are going again in October 2017 (different itinerary). Although we live in North Alabama, driving to New Orleans is 7 - 8 hours, and like you, hate the thought of driving back home. Well, we took Amtrak and it was wonderful. We left the day before the cruise (on a Saturday), and drove to Birmingham. Dropped off the rental, and they took us to the Amtrak station. I don't remember what the cost of the trip is (maybe $140 round trip for adults), but it'snot bad. You can walk up and down the aisle. Plenty of leg room, foot rest, headrest, and the chairs recline, and there are outlets to plug in your electronics. It's a long ride because it stops at all the little stations, but I didn't care, we didn't have to drive and worry about parking costs. Getting around New Orleans was easy. We walked or took a cab, and we had a hotel close by so we did a lot of walking. Look into Amtrak, I actually enjoyed the ride, and we plan on doing it again next year. We also packed a nice lunch, and was able to have a great lunch on board. They have a dining car, and a snack bar, but they sell prepared food, which is kinda blah! I also heard there is a cruise discount, but call Amtrak and ask about it. We had already used our military discount, so we didn't bother with it.

Oh yeah, and if you go down a day before, be sure to reserve your hotel right away. Since we are going in October, I have to wait until October to make our reservations. The hotels are pricey, and usually fill up quick, so be ready!

Oh yeah, and if you go down a day before, be sure to reserve your hotel right away. Since we are going in October, I have to wait until October to make our reservations. The hotels are pricey, and usually fill up quick, so be ready!

Thanks for your responses! Someone else had mentioned Amtrak as well. When we looked into it the closest station is about 3 hours away. We ended up deciding to fly out of our small local airport...surprisingly affordable, who knew? Seems we caught a fluke, I have an employee who is flying to NOLA in October and for almost the same flight will cost her double. I purchased the tickets yesterday, so fingers crossed, it will all be good!

Yes, hotels are booked. We're going down two days early and staying an extra day on the end. Hotels booked, 2/3 excursions booked, flight booked, FTTF, Cheers, Bottomless Bubbles paid for...just need to pay off the cruise and set back the "extras" cash and we'll be set!

Enjoying your planning! I just wanted to add my two cents regarding Belize and your planned excursion. We have done Shark Ray Alley through Coral Breeze twice. It is amazing. You will tender from the ship to the pier and they will provide you with instructions as to where to meet. After meeting up, you will walk over to another pier and get in your boat to head out towards Caye Caulker. It is about a 45 min boat ride out and another 45 mins back. We did see dolphins and stopped to watch them on the way back on our first time time out. No such luck the second time. On the way out or as you load the boat, they will fit all for snorkeling gear. You will arrive at Caye Caulker and they will offer a bathroom break before you head out to snorkel and then swim with stingrays and nurse sharks. The snorkeling is amazing and takes 30 - 45 mins. You then get back in the boat and go to where the rays and sharks are. The water is only 3 - 4 feet deep here. I would suggest that you and your daughter stay with the boat. Even if you skip the snorkeling, your daughter will love seeing the stingrays and nurse sharks and if she's feeling brave could get in with them. After you will get a full stop at Caye Caulker. I love stewed chicken with rice and beans in Belize. Not a big fan of it at home but somehow in Belize, it tastes so good. I am sure you will have fun regardless of what you choose.

Enjoying your planning! I just wanted to add my two cents regarding Belize and your planned excursion. We have done Shark Ray Alley through Coral Breeze twice. It is amazing. You will tender from the ship to the pier and they will provide you with instructions as to where to meet. After meeting up, you will walk over to another pier and get in your boat to head out towards Caye Caulker. It is about a 45 min boat ride out and another 45 mins back. We did see dolphins and stopped to watch them on the way back on our first time time out. No such luck the second time. On the way out or as you load the boat, they will fit all for snorkeling gear. You will arrive at Caye Caulker and they will offer a bathroom break before you head out to snorkel and then swim with stingrays and nurse sharks. The snorkeling is amazing and takes 30 - 45 mins. You then get back in the boat and go to where the rays and sharks are. The water is only 3 - 4 feet deep here. I would suggest that you and your daughter stay with the boat. Even if you skip the snorkeling, your daughter will love seeing the stingrays and nurse sharks and if she's feeling brave could get in with them. After you will get a full stop at Caye Caulker. I love stewed chicken with rice and beans in Belize. Not a big fan of it at home but somehow in Belize, it tastes so good. I am sure you will have fun regardless of what you choose.

Thanks for the review! I'm excited about this one, but still a little nervous. Seems to be the one I have the least info about...can't picture it in my head for some reason? Probably just me, being me...I am kinda grossed out about sharing snorkel equipment with others...I mean, that mouthpiece-GROSS. Worth it to purchase my own before? I wouldn't be going super high end...don't think we'll use them much outside of this, but the gross factor really has me thinking....

I have my own but used gear provided on excursions before I ultimately bought my own. If you are grossed out by the thought of putting your mouth on a used snorkel, I would bring your own snorkel and mask. Don't buy the fins or leave them at home. They take up too much space. You can find room to pack a snorkel and mask and Coral Breeze will let you use their fins.

We're in the process of booking the Dream out of NOLA on Oct 16th. We'll be going down the night before. Many of the good hotels are sold out or very pricey as there's a NFL Game (Saints vs. Panthers) going on at the Superdome that Sunday (could just be one of the factors). I went ahead and booked a refundable rate at a hotel, just so I can have something planned and a good rate. If something better comes along, I can easily cancel.

I talked about this day before, but to stay in order, thought I'd better stay in line ;)

I seriously have no idea really how this will go. We do have FTTF, don't know if it will matter. I'm sure weather will determine a lot more than who has "priority" off the ship. But for giggles, let's pretend the weather is perfect...our Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Snorkeling excursion by boat with Caye Caulker (long enough excursion title? goondess!) is supposed to start at 9 and we're supposed to meet them at 8:45. I fully expect we'll be later than that. But sounds like, this group is good with that. I have the number to call if we're late or lost...anyway, have to look for Terminal 2, go through the store to the gate on Fort Street and meet the rep there...sounds a little sketchy, but all reviews look good. I'll bring money for lunch and snorkel masks (grossed out about sharing those)...anyone done this excursion? I reserved through shoreexcursioneer, looks like good reviews on TripAdvisor, but I'm a little nervous and thinking of canceling and going through Coral Breeze. Any experience? I know there is one guy who gives rave reviews of the Coral Breeze version....anyone else?

What's the tender process? Does FTTF really matter? I have another coworker who is Platinum and hates that FTTF can be purchased while she earned the right. She says there is no priority with tendering, not that it isn't intended, but that it's kinda a cluster and doesn't usually work out. Experience?

Does seem that they are very cognizant of getting back to the ship on time. So I'm not so worried about that...

Another question I forgot on the day before...in Roatan, what's the scoop on the sky ride thing? I assume my children will want to participate, but I must not be searching for the right thing because I'm not finding much info.

Thanks again for all opinions and suggestions! :D

Cozumel day...

I think at this time we're going to be exhausted...I originally planned on Nachi Cocum. Thought we'd enjoy the "first 100 only" rule after being with so many people all week. Also, thought it would be nice to have the all inclusive option. Well, (imagine this), I've been soaking up all the recent reviews that are being posted. Seems that Nachi Cocum has taken a hit. I guess the area has had some rough times and the beach isn't what it once was. Sounds like there is a pretty good/scary drop off. That makes me nervous with my 8 year old DD...

At this point I started looking for other options. Thought I settled on Playa Mia. Seems well reviewed and would interest my kids. I reserved the all you can eat/drink and entrance for me and DH and the buffet and entrance for the kids. I know the "order your own" menu sounds better, but I prefer not to carry extra cash if I don't have to. Not expecting to have the best meal of my life, just something to eat will suffice. But, getting a little nervous...sounds like it's crazy busy. I'm okay with people...as long as we have a small corner. I don't want to be "chairless" all day....

I know a lot of people suggest Mr Sanchos, but not sure it would be any different...and, looks like the floating ocean toys are the big attraction...not going to let DD out there so I like that Playa Mia had other stuff she could participate in...

I assume I'm overthinking it? Experience?

Looks pretty easy to get to Playa Mia...I like that they have lockers you can rent...am I missing anything?

Three more days, going to try to knock these out tonight...then, on to possibly purchases (best beach bag that can be used as a personal item on the plane...Flipbelt yes or no...you know, the truly important topics!) :p

Day nine will be our final full day...one last sea day...by the end of vacation, I'm sad, but also always ready to come home. I miss the routine. I really do love my job and miss my staff. I miss our dog (a sweet rescued Beagle/Basset mix named Oliver). I miss the smell of our house...yes, I know, I'm strange. And oddly enough, I miss the planning. When I get home, it's time to start all over again! :D

So, last sea day. I assume we'll be exhausted. Hoping we'll sleep in, but not holding my breath. Planning on the sea day brunch and hoping DD will go to Camp Carnival for a while. I want to catch afternoon tea and spend some time in the spa. I'll want to spend time organizing the luggage to be set out. But no big plans. Anything to make sure and do this last day?

The Carnival Dream will be sent to dry-dock 1/29/17 - 2/11/17. An announcement was made that it will be getting Guy's Pig and Anchor, a BBQ spot that is already on Magic. It is only open on Sea Days for lunch. I am hoping that Dream will also get Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina.

Yuck..no hurry to get off the ship since we're staying another night in NOLA so we'll stay out of the way of those who have a plane to catch. I've not really researched what we're supposed to do here. Anything I need to know?

After we are off and have our luggage, we'll head to our hotel for the night. Got a good Priceline deal on the Downtown Marriott. I don't think I'll reserve anything for this day. I assume we've already done the walking tours we wanted to do, gone to the Mardi Gras Museum and WWII. Maybe we'll hit up a restaurant we didn't make it to? Maybe a plantation tour? I think we'll just be completely done. And I know it will be so hot...any lazy, cool (as in temp) suggestions? :cool:

The time has come...

Taxi to the airport around 9...check in and wait to board. We'll have a 3 hr layover in Houston...yuck, but I didn't have any other options. Anything good at the Houston airport?

We should be home around 6...back to reality...and on to the next trip to plan! :p

The Carnival Dream will be sent to dry-dock 1/29/17 - 2/11/17. An announcement was made that it will be getting Guy's Pig and Anchor, a BBQ spot that is already on Magic. It is only open on Sea Days for lunch. I am hoping that Dream will also get Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina.

I have been anxiously awaiting to hear what will be added/changed while in dry dock! I've got my fingers crossed for Guy's Burgers and would love to see the Alchemy Bar show up!

FYI, you're going to need more than a couple hours for the WWII museum. I live in the NOLA area and just took my folks to the WWII museum yesterday while they were visiting me. We were there for almost 3 1/2 hours, and we only got through the sections on the Pacific Theater and the Merchant Mariners. It's very in-depth.

FYI, you're going to need more than a couple hours for the WWII museum. I live in the NOLA area and just took my folks to the WWII museum yesterday while they were visiting me. We were there for almost 3 1/2 hours, and we only got through the sections on the Pacific Theater and the Merchant Mariners. It's very in-depth.

Yes, that'w what everyone who has commented on that aspect has said. I think our revised plan is for DH and DS to go do that and stay as long as they want. They both could spend all day there and by fine, and they just might. I would like to go, but DD will hate it. I don't want her to ruin it for them by complaining. She and I will probably find something else to do.

So now, on to the shopping portion of planning...

Bags...I kinda have a thing for the right bag. Since we're flying (and I detest taking extra stuff) I need a bag that will work as a personal item on the plane and a bag to carry on excursions. This bag will also be the bag I use as a purse in NOLA.

For the plane and NOLA, I need something that zips. I need something that has pockets and organizational spots. I like pockets on the outside sides (for water bottle). For ports..something water resistant, that zips, fairly large...but, I realize for ports, DH could carry a backpack.

What is your favorite all around travel bag? I carried two from Thirty One that I liked on recent flights. I don't like to take my good leather bags...too rough for those things. I have owned and liked Lug bags. Thinking of going with a Lug this time, but not sure. It wouldn't be so great for ports-too small, but as I said before, DH can bring a backpack.

I know two of our ports have lockers we can use. The Belize one does not, but I don't think we'd be far from our bags. Thinking the only time we wouldn't be with them would be while snorkeling and they'd be on the boat? Safe there?

Favorite plane bag? Favorite backpack? Same on the boat while snorkeling-if not, what are the options?