Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

For excursions, we’ve tossed around a few ideas. Maybe a dolphin encounter?

You obviously like to research and plan things so I recommend you look at these links:

Swimming with dolphins

The Disturbing Truth Behind Your Swim With The Dolphins

and

The Cove (Documentary)

and then decide if you even want to interact with dolphins in this manner.

:)

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT fly Allegiant at least out of Tulsa! Look at their reviews online, they are 90% horrible. My friend just had a really bad experience with them today. :eek::eek::eek: And as for Cheers, we won't sail without it. It's the best value on the ship in my opinion. Did you say you're sailing on the Dream? If so, check out the cove balconies. They are fantastic. Close to the water, private, they are just amazing. You have an up-close view of flying fish and dolphins. (And if I'm wrong and you're not booked on a Dream class, then never mind. LOL) Our first day tradition is to get a fun ship special and sit in the lobby and watch people board. The music is playing, everyone is so excited, the energy and the feeling in the air is just awesome.

Edited by watermelonqueen99

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT fly Allegiant at least out of Tulsa! Look at their reviews online, they are 90% horrible. My friend just had a really bad experience with them today. :eek::eek::eek: And as for Cheers, we won't sail without it. It's the best value on the ship in my opinion. Did you say you're sailing on the Dream? If so, check out the cove balconies. They are fantastic. Close to the water, private, they are just amazing. You have an up-close view of flying fish and dolphins. (And if I'm wrong and you're not booked on a Dream class, then never mind. LOL) Our first day tradition is to get a fun ship special and sit in the lobby and watch people board. The music is playing, everyone is so excited, the energy and the feeling in the air is just awesome.

Allegiant doesn't work with our travel dates. Any potential savings would be taken by the additional hotel, meals, entertainment for those days. Sorry about your friend!

I think I'll agree with you after on Cheers! Knowing it only takes 5 mixed drinks to break even, I really think that even on port days, we'll drink that plus the other stuff. We'll see after, but I really think it's going to save us.

Yes, on the Dream. We did consider the cove balconies, but the Cloud 9 won us over this time. I do think we'll try a cove when it's just me and DH so we don't need the easy access to another shower!

I love to people watch! Looking very forward to that part of the trip!!:p

For Mohagany Bay, we loved loved loved Little French Key. Book it yourself. Seriously, its my favorite excursion we've ever done. Its so relaxing, lots to do, reasonable price. My kids loved it. We went with 2 other families, and they also thought it was their favorite excursion. Food was excellent. Mitsugirly has great picture reviews of the place if you search for her here on CC. I would go back there in a heartbeat next time we go to that port.

We did this as a family trip in March. It was wonderful. Sailing out of New Orleans was super easy and lots of fun. Here are a few things I would tell someone if asked, and well, you asked. :)

We drove from Wisconsin, I think it was a 14 hour drive. We drove half way the way down and straight back. The drive down was fine, the drive home was fine, just long. If you are looking to save money, I would figure it all out. Even with paying for parking, hotel, gas, snacks and parking for the week it was still probably over a 1000.00 cheaper than flying would have been for that week for a family of 5.

We stayed at the Hilton Riverside. I booked it off of Hotels. com. We chose to just pay the 30 bucks to park there the first night. The next morning, we moved the car to Fulton Garage, (which is literally a few minutes away), and parked there for the trip. It was very easy. (you can find lots of information on Fulton Garage under the search).

I was excited to show my kids New Orleans, but honestly, they didn't want to spend a ton of time in the French Quarter. It was very different for them, and once they experienced it, they were good. I would have planned our day there better, maybe gone to a plantation or something. Granted, they were tired and a bit cranky from driving..but spending all day around the French Quarter was definitely not their thing!

We did get FTTF. Normally, if it is just my husband and myself, I don't. We can wait. But this was a spring break cruise and I just thought, why not. It was totally worth it, traveling with kids. If you can get that, I would recommend it.

I would research the ports you are in. You can definitely find some great ideas on these boards!

Have fun, I agree, planning is half the fun!

Another day, another port...this time, Belize.

One of my best friends in high school had a sister who dated a boy from Belize. I don't remember a lot, going to the airport and picking him up, he always smelled amazing, he was a snappy dresser, and frequently talked about the beauty of Belize. I know his Belize will be different than the Belize we see, but I'm still excited to see it. My only other "history" with Belize is that my supervisor got pregnant while on vacation in Belize. Might not sound like much to others, but she had been told she was unable to get pregnant and after years of trying had given up hope. Doubt I'll be there long enough for any exposure, but I will for sure remember her story while there! Hoping we are able to stop there as I know being a tender port, it isn't always possible.

For Belize, wasn't really sure what we might want to do. After researching, I think our best bet will be the Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Exploration. I like that DH and DS can go snorkel and DD and I can explore CC, but we're all on the same excursion.

Here is a review from WSOXFAN...

We used Coral Breeze just last week for the Shark Ray Alley tour. We pre-booked, as did everyone else on our boat. The parties were divided by cruise ship to better coordinate with the tenders. Not sure how or if walk ups would work. They are actually located just outside the gated pier area so you won't just see their stand as soon as you get off the ship. Pre-booking is very easy online and they will send you an email shortly before sailing with clear instructions on how and where to meet them.

I cannot say enough good things about this excursion. The guides were excellent. They were very accommodating, friendly, interesting, timely and safety conscious. Our boat took a slightly off-course route to Caye Caulker through the mangroves in hope of spotting some dolphins, and sure enough there were 4 right near our boat at one point. The captain stopped the boat for a bit so we could watch them.

From there we went to Caye Caulker for a quick break to order lunch for after snorkeling and use the restroom. The snorkeling was a lot of fun but honestly this is only my second time ever so I don't have a lot to compare it to. We broke off into small groups, each with our own guide, with each group going at their own pace based on ability. Shark Ray Alley was cool and the waters are pretty shallow there so even my kids (who were only signed up as observers) could get in and swim with the dozens of Rays that were around. Unfortunately we didn't see many sharks that day.

Finally we went back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The island is incredibly beautiful and laid back. I enjoyed the snorkeling but also wished I could have spent more time here. What a great place!

Our guide made sure we left the island on time to make it back to the tenders without cutting it close. I would definitely use Coral Breeze again if I ever make it back to Belize. Next time though I would probably skip the snorkel and just use them for the ride to Caye Caulker. Again, nothing against the snorkeling experience at all; it's just that I would like some time to see a little more of the island.

I should probably mention that if you really can't handle small boats then this may not be the tour for you. The ride is a bit bumpy at times and they were going pretty fast. It felt like a very safe ride but my wife gets seasick pretty easily and I don't think she was fully enjoying that aspect of it.

Wondering a little bit about lunch, sounds like this person ordered before and had it later? Don't know, but I'll look into that more.

If we all do the whole excursion, the total cost would be $279, if the boys snorkel and girls don't, it becomes $230. Not sure yet which we'll do.

What have you done in Belize? Any favorites? Any things to be aware of? I know it's a tender so might not even be able to stop...what else should I be aware of?

Edited by KRF326RN

It's not a bad drive. We drove from New Orleans to about 40 min North of Toronto. About the same amount of time. Enjoy your cruise!

Oh wow! I'll be driving from East of Toronto down to New Orleans this Friday. So awesome to see other locals have taken the drive down.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Dream about a month ago. I would recommend the hotel we stayed at, Hotel 504. It is on Canal Street and I can't remember the other street but it is right on the corner. There is a trolley stop right across the street and I thought we would have to use that to get to the Bourbon St area. I was wrong. After arriving, I found out we were only about 4 blocks from Bourbon St so we walked. We parked right behind the hotel in a parking garage for Tulane Medical Center I believe. Very easy! The center was closed on the weekend so we had our pick of parking spaces and never saw another person. It's convenient to Bourbon St, yet out of the way of it also. Approx a mile and a half from the port but it took a while to get there due to the traffic.

Tina

Just to let you know I am from right outside New Orleans and have sailed Carnival from New Orleans few times and will again come December.

Lets do this first things first.

If you are flying in for one night and heading to ship in morning I would suggest you google "New Orleans cruise hotel packages". This will show you local hotels near the airport that will have shuttle to hotel free, then bring you to port next morning. Hotels listed in Kenner are closest to airport but Metairie is close to airport also. This with one booking gets you off the airplane and to the hotel and to the ship. Also cheaper than staying in New Orleans for one night.

Now also in the first post will tell you my feelings on Cheers. If my wife drank more I would do it, especially if I think I can afford it and it were my first or very special occasion cruise. How often will you want a specialty coffee in the morning, or bloody mary morning on sea day, grab a drink when returning from excursion to sip while getting ready for the evening. Then go grab another to sip on the balcony. Couple drinks while seeing the comedians. Makes them even funnier. One or two glasses of wine with dinner. See someone with a pretty drink and want to try it, believe me on that first cruise that happens a lot, of course the cruise line knows it and is why they have colorful drinks. And all that and not worry about what it cost because I paid for it already. Also there is a 15% gratuity over the $49.95 price when you buy it.

This is your first cruise make it special. You can always cruise Caribbean again or Carnival again, or this ship or that ship again, but there is only ever ONE first cruise.

I personally think you are doing great planning and budgeting way ahead, makes it less strenuous money and planning wise. Plus its fun for many of us.

Edited by ekajun1957

Just to let you know I am from right outside New Orleans and have sailed Carnival from New Orleans few times and will again come December.

Lets do this first things first.

If you are flying in for one night and heading to ship in morning I would suggest you google "New Orleans cruise hotel packages". This will show you local hotels near the airport that will have shuttle to hotel free, then bring you to port next morning. Hotels listed in Kenner are closest to airport but Metairie is close to airport also. This with one booking gets you off the airplane and to the hotel and to the ship. Also cheaper than staying in New Orleans for one night.

Now also in the first post will tell you my feelings on Cheers. If my wife drank more I would do it, especially if I think I can afford it and it were my first or very special occasion cruise. How often will you want a specialty coffee in the morning, or bloody mary morning on sea day, grab a drink when returning from excursion to sip while getting ready for the evening. Then go grab another to sip on the balcony. Couple drinks while seeing the comedians. Makes them even funnier. One or two glasses of wine with dinner. See someone with a pretty drink and want to try it, believe me on that first cruise that happens a lot, of course the cruise line knows it and is why they have colorful drinks. And all that and not worry about what it cost because I paid for it already. Also there is a 15% gratuity over the $49.95 price when you buy it.

This is your first cruise make it special. You can always cruise Caribbean again or Carnival again, or this ship or that ship again, but there is only ever ONE first cruise.

I personally think you are doing great planning and budgeting way ahead, makes it less strenuous money and planning wise. Plus its fun for many of us.

Thanks ekajun! I will definitely look into your google suggestion! I'm not so worried about the NOLA experience the first night, since I know I'll have that time after cruising. And Cheers, will be purchasing it this week. I got FTTF last week and Cheers is my second purchase to make! I just want to see if it's worth it on a few levels (price, convenience, ease, etc) this first time.

Yes, planning like this is what my family expects and we all vacation better when I do. We made a short weekend trip (last minute-less than 24 hours notice) last month. There was a HUGE basketball game going on and our dinner plans had to be changed. I had no Plan B, because I hadn't had time to plan. DH got "hangry" and it was BAD for about 30 minutes. I love to plan, and one of the reasons is completely due to the relaxation it affords during the actual vacation! And financially, it's nice because I have budgeted for all prepaid things and will have them paid by the end of the year. Then, I can save that same amount for incidentals. I think that will greatly reduce any money stresses while away.

For planning, the next big step is purchasing Cheers and paying the next chunk on the trip. Still watching for flights to come up for that time frame. Just realized that a year from today we will we waking up for our first Sea Day! That's very exciting! Next purchases will probably be port excursions so I'll need to make some final decisions on those.

I think I still owe you a post on our Cozumel port plans..we'll say that is up next time! Until then, have a fantastic summer!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been forever! With the many, many activities of the end of the school year for the kids and the beginning of a very busy summer, I've been slacking on my posting!

I said the next post would be our plans for Cozumel...but that's just it...I don't know what we're going to do! I thought I was set on Nachi Cocum...the 100 only limit, the beautiful pictures, the serenity for our last port stop...all seemed perfect. But, the more I read about Mr Sancho, I start to doubt myself. I don't want my kiddos to be staring at the huge floating toys and wish they were on them...but, I don't know that I'd let them out there to do those anyway? And, I can only imagine that they'll be crowded?

Opinions?

For excursions, we’ve tossed around a few ideas. Maybe a dolphin encounter? Maybe sting rays? Maybe explore the local area or just relax on a nearby beach?

First port-Mahogany Bay…8am-5pm…

I’m thinking the Dolphin Beach Encounter at Anthony’s Key Resort? Cost is $69 per person. I think this might be the one for us because you can just walk out to them. The whole family can swim, but this situation sounds more enjoyable than others I’ve read about.

This is the review by IslandGallery…

The encounter portion of the experience is the more hands-on portion. You will be waist deep in the water, having walked in from the beach on Bailey's Key. You will be in a small group with one trainer and one dolphin. Each trainer has one dolphin at the beach and, depending on how many people are booked, there will be a small group with each trainer. You will be in a straight line, part of your group on one side of the trainer and part on the other. The trainer will have a cooler with fish and will ask the dolphin to perform certain behaviors. You will get to touch the dolphin, the trainer will tell you and your family about dolphins in general and about that particular dolphin. You will get to watch many behaviors. Someone from the Photo Shop will document this. You will leave your camera on the beach until the last few minutes when they allow you to go get your camera to shoot some shots.

Then you will go to the beach and get your snorkel gear while the trainers finish up with the dolphins. You will get your gear on and get back in the water inside the enclosure. A trainer or two will be with your group for the swim. The dolphins will be released from their stations and will now be out swimming and checking you all out.

During this time you will stay roughly together in a group but spread out enough that you will each sort of be doing your own thing. The dolphins are not forced to interact, it is their choice how much interaction they take part in while you are in the water. They do this all the time so for them they know the drill. You will get to watch them swim, dive, etc. You will see them interacting with one another.

Sometimes they come up to you, rub against you, allow you to reach out and touch them. Other times they will bring you a piece of turtle grass to throw and fetch. Sometimes they go off for minutes at a time and you don't see them for a while.

If you have never had a dolphin experience before, it is great fun. It is certainly something your family will remember. You will begin at the resort side of the property- over on Roatan (the main island). You will go and get on a boat that will take you over to Bailey's Key (not far at all, takes less than a couple minutes to get transported there). There you will receive a briefing from the training staff. There are areas there to leave your things while you are on the encounter and swim as well as showers and restrooms.

I also read that the pictures can be purchased on a USB for $70 in 2012. Assuming they are probably more now, but even double isn’t bad to fully enjoy the encounter and have pictures we are all in.

Thinking we’ll book this one when the June dates come open. It does look like this is one that requires full payment at time of booking. Haven’t looked into the cancellation policy, but will before booking.

Anyone done the Dolphin Beach Encounter? Thoughts or opinions? Anyone know how we get there? Hope you all have a FANTASTIC Mother’s Day weekend!

We did this excursion and it was WONDERFUL!!! Swimming free with a whole pod of dolphins in a lagoon(not a concrete pool) was an experience I will never forget. If for some reason you cannot do this one, then the Tabyana Beach excursion is a great one. You can just walk into the water for the most fantastic snorkeling ever! Have a great first cruise, but be warned, it is addictive 😀

Wow, it's been forever! With the many, many activities of the end of the school year for the kids and the beginning of a very busy summer, I've been slacking on my posting!

I said the next post would be our plans for Cozumel...but that's just it...I don't know what we're going to do! I thought I was set on Nachi Cocum...the 100 only limit, the beautiful pictures, the serenity for our last port stop...all seemed perfect. But, the more I read about Mr Sancho, I start to doubt myself. I don't want my kiddos to be staring at the huge floating toys and wish they were on them...but, I don't know that I'd let them out there to do those anyway? And, I can only imagine that they'll be crowded?

Opinions?

We have been to both and while both are very nice, we prefer Mr Sancho's. The all inclusive is a great bargain and there is much more to do at Mr Sancho's in my opinion. Nachi is much quieter and the beach area is smaller.

We have done Mr. Sanchos in the past and enjoyed it so much that I reservations for January 2017 - did not feel it was crowded and great service, food, and drinks. There were a lot of families there too! I can't wait to go back for my favorite drink - dirty monkey and get a massage!

Be still my heart - I think we are long lost BFF's lol Plus I think our hubbies have similar jobs!

I booked my cruised (first time for DD and first one in over 10 years for DH & I) when it had 476 days to go.. finally down to 420 as of today! If you could see the spreadsheet I have created in the last 56 days - you'd be in love :)

We are out of Miami, but I'm planning hotel stays, picking airlines, thoroughly going through excursions, debating "Cheers", purchased FTTF.. My husband thinks I'm crazy!

As for Cheers, I'm totally on your wave length - we are not regular drinkers, but we do enjoy an occasional beverage - on vacation, it's just a different mindset - I'm thrilled with having it all paid for, prepared and just enjoying the moment vs enjoying the moment and not caring and getting sticker shock on the bill when we are done!

I'll definitely be following your thread and may chime in with my own questions too!

Hi AllieOleo! Love a fellow planner! I have so slacked lately...work and life have gotten in the way of my planning and I feel so discombobulated!

Honestly, we've got a couple trips this summer (week at a resort about 2 hours away, 17 days on the Oregon coast, and a last-weekend-before-school-starts getaway) that have totally taken all my planning brain!

Have to share a funny...at the time, not so funny, but now, totally makes me realize why I do what I do....

About three weeks ago, hubby calls me at work on a Thursday afternoon and says, "why don't we go to OKC for the weekend?"....He wanted to eat at Kevin Durant's restaurant while they were there playing...wanted to take the kiddos to the Memorial...just an easy weekend. I go into uber fast planning mode. Found a great hotel (the one that overlooks the Redbird stadium-AND there was a tourney that weekend!)...found a super fun activity for Saturday (the Boathouse district has this AWESOME area with white water rafting, ziplines, climbing walls, ropes course, etc). Staying in Bricktown we knew we'd have many dining options. We planned to eat at a popular taco place on Friday night. We get there and it begins to rain (line out the door and only tables to eat at are outside). My very manly, brave, super hero by day husband is TERRIFIED of lightning. I mean, crazily so. We RUN to Spaghetti Warehouse (me in flip flops and a tee shirt dress-not good in rain). It's closed. He decides we must go drive around and find a restaurant (because it's raining). He starts asking me where to eat....um, never been to OKC...no idea. He gets so mad because I have no plans. Um, we "planned" this YESTERDAY...this is why I don't do spontaneous. This is why I ENJOY planning...back up plans, knowing the area, etc...we got into the most ridiculous argument over finding a place to eat. Him, "you have a computer in your hand, why can't you find a restaurant?"...followed by him, "why are you looking down (I was looking at my phone) I need you to be watching for a place to eat!"....I mean, really...come to find out, the rain let up in about 15 minutes...no lightning...we should have just waited...Nope, we ended up eating the grossest burgers I have ever eaten in my whole 39 years...oh well, this is why I plan! :eek:

So, just to catch myself up....spa balcony is reserved, FTTF is purchased, Cheers is purchased. Waiting for Verizon to reload the gift cards so I can purchase those and pay off the next chunk of the trip. Two of the three excursions are decided...need to reserve those and decide on Cozumel...and, pretty sure flying is the best option...waiting on flights to be posted so I can book those. All this, and I STILL really need to start thinking about the second half...the 3 nights/4 days in NOLA after the cruise!

Opinions on things to do (not do) with a 16 year old and an 8 year old in NOLA in the oppressive humidity of the southern summer? :confused:

Edited by KRF326RN

• 3 weeks later...
Be still my heart - I think we are long lost BFF's lol Plus I think our hubbies have similar jobs!

I booked my cruised (first time for DD and first one in over 10 years for DH & I) when it had 476 days to go.. finally down to 420 as of today! If you could see the spreadsheet I have created in the last 56 days - you'd be in love :)

As for Cheers, I'm totally on your wave length - we are not regular drinkers, but we do enjoy an occasional beverage - on vacation, it's just a different mindset -

I thought I was the only one!!! I have a spreadsheet for my B2B next year! Only 409 days til the 1st leg and I am sooooo ready to go!!! We are sailing on the Magic out of Port Canaveral. Im excited, nervous, and anxious to get on that sihp!

• 1 month later...

First day of school for the 2016-2017 school year! YEAH!!! Now, maybe with a normal daily schedule and not more vacations in the near future, I can plan this one :D

I feel like a lot has changed since I last posted. Plans have changed...I don't do change very well, but I think it's a must.

Still on for the same cruise, have paid off almost half of the cruise, have purchased FTTF, Cheers for DH and myself, and Bottomless Bubbles for son. That's about it...everything else, still unsure. And, DS has pretty much stopped drinking soda (student athlete)...wasted BB package... :(

I do want to thank all of you who suggested looking for other flights outside of Southwest. I have always ignored our local airport due to the smallness and (assumed) subsequent high cost...have been following it for a while now, we can fly out of here (instead of driving 3 1/2 hrs both ways) for just a little more. We do have to pay for luggage, but that's less than parking and the convenience! Going to surprise DH!! He'll LOVE it! He hates driving to an airport!!

While on vacation this summer with the kiddos, we talked (pretty much for the first time) about what we'd do on this cruise. I need to go back and look at the excursions I'd thought about. Also, thought he'd be really excited about exploring New Orleans. He always has enjoyed checking out new places. For some reason, he thinks NOLA won't be that great. He's a history buff, so I know he's wrong, but thinking, our plane lands around noon the day before we get on the ship. Maybe we'll stay closer and enjoy the day and then only do two nights on the other end of the trip. Uggh, don't know....gotta get back on it and get this thing planned! :eek:

First day of school for the 2016-2017 school year! YEAH!!! Now, maybe with a normal daily schedule and not more vacations in the near future, I can plan this one :D

I feel like a lot has changed since I last posted. Plans have changed...I don't do change very well, but I think it's a must.

Still on for the same cruise, have paid off almost half of the cruise, have purchased FTTF, Cheers for DH and myself, and Bottomless Bubbles for son. That's about it...everything else, still unsure. And, DS has pretty much stopped drinking soda (student athlete)...wasted BB package... :(

I do want to thank all of you who suggested looking for other flights outside of Southwest. I have always ignored our local airport due to the smallness and (assumed) subsequent high cost...have been following it for a while now, we can fly out of here (instead of driving 3 1/2 hrs both ways) for just a little more. We do have to pay for luggage, but that's less than parking and the convenience! Going to surprise DH!! He'll LOVE it! He hates driving to an airport!!

While on vacation this summer with the kiddos, we talked (pretty much for the first time) about what we'd do on this cruise. I need to go back and look at the excursions I'd thought about. Also, thought he'd be really excited about exploring New Orleans. He always has enjoyed checking out new places. For some reason, he thinks NOLA won't be that great. He's a history buff, so I know he's wrong, but thinking, our plane lands around noon the day before we get on the ship. Maybe we'll stay closer and enjoy the day and then only do two nights on the other end of the trip. Uggh, don't know....gotta get back on it and get this thing planned! :eek:

First suggestion if he is a history buff then it's the World War II museum in New Orleans. Anyone with a military or WWII interest or just plain patriotic will love it. Check it out online.

Have done some research now and am feeling a little more confident...still a nervous wreck, but a little better. For some reason, the excursions stress me out more than any other part of this. I guess it's because I haven't done it before and them going well relies greatly on information yet to come and honest people....

So here goes...

First port, Roatan...haven't decided on that one...

Next port, Belize....son is excited about this one, but everything I've read seems to point to not so great. I had considered staying on the ship and bypassing all together. Kiddo wasn't having that. I think I've posted about it already, but I've booked it now. We're doing the Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling and Caye Caulker tour. I think it will be the best option for all four of us.

Last port, Cozumel. I had originally thought we'd do Nachi Cocum...but recent reviews say it's not what it used to be. I was a little hesitant about it anyway because of DD...only 8 and is going to want more to actually do. I've booked Playa Mia. I did the math and figured we'd spend more than $12 on food and $15 on drinks so DH and I have the AI package. DS and DD have the entrance and buffet package. From pictures and reviews, seems the best for all of us. I like that taxis are there at the waiting to take you back. Seems like we have very little chance of being left behind.

Now, just to decide on Roatan. Still leaning toward the Dolphin Beach Encounter at Anthony's Key, but can't book out this far so still waiting to see for sure...

Next step, figuring out the to and from for each port stop...

Goodness, getting so excited and still 300ish days out! These next 10-12 posts will be a detail description of each day we're going to be on vacation. Feel free to make suggestions, question, etc. Not going to hurt my feelings...this is my first cruise, first trip to NOLA, and I'm sure, even with extensive planning there will be mishaps and silly choices made. Help me avoid as much of that as possible! :D Even underlined my questions! :cool:

Day one...decided to fly (bought airline tickets today!). DH has decided he wants to try to DRIVE to the Grand Canyon later in the summer. I am NOT doing two trips in the car. I told him the only way I would consider would be to definitely fly for this trip. He agreed. So I started doing the research. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad flying out of our local airport. Decided to go for it...that was last Thursday....over the weekend, checked again (different computer), return flight was $60 higher. Signed in this morning to all the sites, yep, $60 more for the later flight (leaves 90 minutes later). The earlier flight was still the same price. Went ahead and booked them. I know prices can change, but they were at a price I was comfortable with and a times that would basically work for us. So, we fly out at 6am! The airport is very close to our house. I plan to get us there at 5am and have a dear friend come pick up the car later in the day so as to not pay parking the whole time. Can't ask her to leave her house at 4:30 am to get us there, even though, I know she would and I would for her. Anyway...

Boarding the plan around 6 and landing in NOLA around 10. Figure we'll get our luggage and grab a taxi to the hotel (Anything I need to know about this? Looks like the cost will be about $56 for the 4 of us, right?). We will stay at the Drury Inn. Got a good deal online and with the added bonus of full breakfast, 3-10 free popcorn/sodas, and free dinner and drinks-couldn't pass it up. Looks like the St Charles streetcar is right there, too? Anyone confirm? Hoping they'll hold our luggage until check in. We'll be there around noon and can't check in until around 3...anyone have any experience with that at Drury?

Next, figured since this trip is really to celebrate the 16 year old and he LOVES all things history related that we'd head to the WWII museum. Looks like we can use the St Charles street car for that? Thinking of purchasing the Jazzy Pass before to have those on hand for street car ease. Oh, but wait, forgot lunch...before the museum, figure we'll be starving...been eyeing the Cafe Soule...Monte Cristo calling my name! Haven't researched it's location...best way to get there from Drury? Then we'll head to the museum.

After a couple hours in the museum, figure we'll be exhausted..remember, we got up at 3:30am :eek:....thought we'd head back to the hotel, officially check in, partake in free popcorn/sodas and nap. After a couple hours of relaxing...down for the free light dinner and drinks. I know it's not an official full meal, but from the sample menu, seems like my bunch will be able to fill their tummies to last a few hours.

The last thing on the agenda for today....not so sure about this. Has anyone heard of the free walking tours? They have very high ratings on Trip Advisor and TA has yet to steer me wrong...you book a tour, show up, participate and pay what you want at the end? I figure there is nothing to lose. I booked the Ghost tour. Guess we'll see. After that long day, bed time!

Next, well rested full day in NOLA! :D

Boarding the plan around 6 and landing in NOLA around 10. Figure we'll get our luggage and grab a taxi to the hotel (Anything I need to know about this? Looks like the cost will be about $56 for the 4 of us, right?). We will stay at the Drury Inn. Got a good deal online and with the added bonus of full breakfast, 3-10 free popcorn/sodas, and free dinner and drinks-couldn't pass it up. Looks like the St Charles streetcar is right there, too? Anyone confirm? Hoping they'll hold our luggage until check in. We'll be there around noon and can't check in until around 3...anyone have any experience with that at Drury?

Next, figured since this trip is really to celebrate the 16 year old and he LOVES all things history related that we'd head to the WWII museum. Looks like we can use the St Charles street car for that? Thinking of purchasing the Jazzy Pass before to have those on hand for street car ease. Oh, but wait, forgot lunch...before the museum, figure we'll be starving...been eyeing the Cafe Soule...Monte Cristo calling my name! Haven't researched it's location...best way to get there from Drury? Then we'll head to the museum.

Drury Inn is steps from St. Charles Avenue. You can definitely get the streetcar right there. I have never stayed at hotel that wouldn't hold luggage, shouldn't be a problem at all.

WWII is AMAZING. Not sure you will want to leave after a couple of hours. Never heard of Cafe Soule, but I checked the location and it's in the FQ, the opposite way of WWII museum. You can take the street car to Canal and walk from there. But WWII museum has a good restaurant as well, American Sector (John Besh), if you want to just eat there and save Cafe Soule for your return trip? Less running around on your first day.

You are correct on the taxi price, but you can Uber now from the airport and it's probably less expensive, though I don't know for sure.