Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

Cabin….this may have been my hardest decision. At first, balcony on the lido. Close to the food, pool, etc. But then, we want to relax. I’ve heard how busy the lido deck always is. I want to be prepared. I want to expect that the lido will be awful-long lines, people everywhere, etc. If it’s not, great, if it is, I prepared for it. So this got me thinking…what do we want out of this vacation? What is the expectation on sea days? What is important to us….hmm, we want DD to go to Camp Ocean…DS will be at his camp or hanging out…he’s totally fine (prefers) to do his own thing. That leaves me and DH…relaxation, no plans, no cell phones going off constantly…HEAVEN! This led me to a spa balcony. Now, let me be very clear. We are NOT spa people. I don’t like people touching me. Not a hugger, not a pedicure person, not a “touch your shoulder because I care” person. I do care, but touch is not my love language. But, the non random-people-touching-me activities in the spa sound perfect! Also, DS takes 45 minutes showers. He can have the tiny shower in the cabin and DH and I will shower in the spa-problem solved! I think the spa will be a getaway for us. The balcony was already a must. We will sit out there a LOT. Again, we like to be together and do nothing. Just sit. I prefer not to have 3000+ of my new closest friends around me while I sit and do nothing. But that’s just me. But then, I realized that of the Cloud 9 spa balconies there are some better than others that don't have the Serenity Deck directly above you (more to the side)…no people hanging over…but, it’s so HIGH…what if we get sea sick? Then, considered the cove balcony…private, second deck, sounds good…but, you’re on a floor with a bajillion rooms…crowded is what I feel all the sudden…uggh...was getting stressed, but then, I remembered…this is VACATION and we’re so very blessed that we have the ability to be making this decision. I mean really, first world problems much? Lido balcony vs Cloud 9 Spa Balcony vs Cove Balcony on a 7 day cruise….wow girl, rough life…get over it and go with your heart. Cloud 9 Spa Balcony it is! I think...

Looked into Allegiant. The problem is the limited days it flies. We'd have to leave two days earlier than planned and stay two days longer. That would put us in NOLA three days before and five days after. The savings from a cheaper flight would quickly be gone and probably doubled in extra cost staying an additional five days. I've never really looked at Allegiant before....definitely interested in using it for another vacation for sure!

We are driving from Ohio for our summer Dream cruise. This is so we can take in some Bayou sites, plantation homes, etc before hitting New Orleans. We are like you (the drive back - ugh), as we often drive 14 hours to New England, so we know long drives. But we can make it a journey and spend extra time on the way down to explore.

As for Cheers - we can no way spend $800 in beverages...and getting the package would make us want to maximize it. We will bring two wine on board, and have ordered water and a bottle of wine for our cabin. Buying soda ahead is just convenience, and not a money saver. I guess you have to decide if the package is worth the convenience for you or not. Another option is just putting a couple hundred on your account (gift cards through your grocery store might give fuel points?).

Cabin - yeah we like the idea of a morning coffee on our balcony.

Looked into Allegiant. The problem is the limited days it flies. We'd have to leave two days earlier than planned and stay two days longer. That would put us in NOLA three days before and five days after. The savings from a cheaper flight would quickly be gone and probably doubled in extra cost staying an additional five days. I've never really looked at Allegiant before....definitely interested in using it for another vacation for sure!

That's true.

However, your trip isn't until next May, right?

Schedules may change by then.

Use Google Flights to search for the best flights.

It's an excellent tool, and it searches for most airlines except Southwest.

That's true.

However, your trip isn't until next May, right?

Schedules may change by then.

Use Google Flights to search for the best flights.

It's an excellent tool, and it searches for most airlines except Southwest.

Absolutely! I assumed they always fly on those two days. I'll definitely keep checking...not like I don't have plenty of time... :p

We are driving from Ohio for our summer Dream cruise. This is so we can take in some Bayou sites, plantation homes, etc before hitting New Orleans. We are like you (the drive back - ugh), as we often drive 14 hours to New England, so we know long drives. But we can make it a journey and spend extra time on the way down to explore.

As for Cheers - we can no way spend $800 in beverages...and getting the package would make us want to maximize it. We will bring two wine on board, and have ordered water and a bottle of wine for our cabin. Buying soda ahead is just convenience, and not a money saver. I guess you have to decide if the package is worth the convenience for you or not. Another option is just putting a couple hundred on your account (gift cards through your grocery store might give fuel points?).

Cabin - yeah we like the idea of a morning coffee on our balcony.

I know, $800 sounds like a HUGE amount to drink...but when I think about individually, I think we'll be super close without trying and will probably come out ahead. Who knows...I'm going to do it this time and may never again. Gotta try it or I'll never know. The convenience is definitely a big factor...that and the fact that DH forgets we're not independently wealthy while on vacation...:rolleyes:

I can't comment on some of your questions because I have yet to do NOLA myself. But, I can tell you that we prefer to fly - a 10 hr car ride (heaven forbit there is traffic) takes a lot of that relaxed feeling away fast. I can also tell you to simply pick an airline that allows you to use carry on bags. There is NO reason that each of you can't fit everything you need for a 7 day cruise in your own personal 22" suitcase. Plus, you can use a back pack or beach bag as your carry on. There are tons of threads on here about packing light and I can promise you it is the best advice you will get about how to cruise, and travel in general. Ladies will look lovely in space-saving sundresses, and no one will even notice or care if you wear the same pair of black sandals to dinner each night. And men need a pair of dockers and some collared shirts for dinner. The rest is swimsuits, cover ups and shorts and t-shirts. Easy peasy.

And you have picked a great room - any balcony will give you the privacy and relaxation you need. And if the spa sounds delightful, I say go for it.

Enjoy the planning - for us OCD people it allows you to get on board informed, well a head of the game (can't tell you how many people 5 days into the cruise still can't find their way around) and makes relaxing so much easier. Just don't forget - NOTHING will go 100% as planned - just expect that you could miss a port, have an excursion cancelled etc and be ready to go with the flow when needed.

I know, $800 sounds like a HUGE amount to drink..:

It's a question of math. Mixed drinks run $9 on average. The break even is about 5 mixed drinks a day. If you're on a five day cruise, that's $45x 5= $225, You'd pay more if had 6 drinks a day without the package. But there's water, etc as well, and sometimes drink specials are $7, so...Now don't forget the Bev Pkg doesn't apply for HMC, any shore excursions etc., so in those instances, you're paying for something that you can't actually use. My rule is this, on a short cruise of 3 to 5 days, I'll get the package, because I'm pretty sure my liver can stand the strain. But the one time I tried it on a seven day cruise, I thought I was going to need a liver transplant.

I definitely don't do it on really long cruises because after a while i get into a routine, and try to stay healthy.

Edited by SurferJoe57

My rule is this, on a short cruise of 3 to 5 days, I'll get the package, because I'm pretty sure my liver can stand the strain. But the one time I tried it on a seven day cruise, I thought I was going to need a liver transplant.

I definitely don't do it on really long cruises because after a while i get into a routine, and try to stay healthy.

I think I am with you. I might have 5 drinks a day, but that will be a couple specialty coffee, a glass of wine with dinner, and (if at sea) a cocktail or beer in the afternoon (not 5 $9 drinks). I would spend all of my time napping if I drank more than one or two drinks and then spent any amount of time in the sun!

I'm drinking a glass of wine after dinner right now - and I suspect I will want a nap shortly! HA HA

Not knocking anyone who can maximize the cheers package AT ALL. I am just a little person and really just couldn't keep up.

I think I am with you. I might have 5 drinks a day, but that will be a couple specialty coffee, a glass of wine with dinner, and (if at sea) a cocktail or beer in the afternoon (not 5 $9 drinks). I would spend all of my time napping if I drank more than one or two drinks and then spent any amount of time in the sun!

I'm drinking a glass of wine after dinner right now - and I suspect I will want a nap shortly! HA HA

Not knocking anyone who can maximize the cheers package AT ALL. I am just a little person and really just couldn't keep up.

HA! I may feel the same way, but just once, gotta try it and see. I will definitely do a review after and let everyone know how we made out. I *think* my biggest thing is that I tend not to order what I want because I can drink water, free drinks, whatever. I'm interested in what I'll do when there is essentially (I won't get to 15 per day) limit.

I can't comment on some of your questions because I have yet to do NOLA myself. But, I can tell you that we prefer to fly - a 10 hr car ride (heaven forbit there is traffic) takes a lot of that relaxed feeling away fast. I can also tell you to simply pick an airline that allows you to use carry on bags. There is NO reason that each of you can't fit everything you need for a 7 day cruise in your own personal 22" suitcase. Plus, you can use a back pack or beach bag as your carry on. There are tons of threads on here about packing light and I can promise you it is the best advice you will get about how to cruise, and travel in general. Ladies will look lovely in space-saving sundresses, and no one will even notice or care if you wear the same pair of black sandals to dinner each night. And men need a pair of dockers and some collared shirts for dinner. The rest is swimsuits, cover ups and shorts and t-shirts. Easy peasy.

And you have picked a great room - any balcony will give you the privacy and relaxation you need. And if the spa sounds delightful, I say go for it.

Enjoy the planning - for us OCD people it allows you to get on board informed, well a head of the game (can't tell you how many people 5 days into the cruise still can't find their way around) and makes relaxing so much easier. Just don't forget - NOTHING will go 100% as planned - just expect that you could miss a port, have an excursion cancelled etc and be ready to go with the flow when needed.

I'm totally with you on the packing...We fly across the country (parents live on the west coast) once or twice a year and I only did the two suitcase thing per person once...it was AWFUL. Way too much stuff. I don't bring anything that can't double as something else. My biggest issue on this trip, the NOLA trip after. I don't really want to find a place to do laundry after getting off the ship...could have them do it for me...haven't really gotten that far in the plan. Southwest, so far, has really been the cheapest for me. There are just not a lot of options out of here. But I will definitely keep looking.

HA! I may feel the same way, but just once, gotta try it and see. I will definitely do a review after and let everyone know how we made out. I *think* my biggest thing is that I tend not to order what I want because I can drink water, free drinks, whatever. I'm interested in what I'll do when there is essentially (I won't get to 15 per day) limit.

Good Plan!

One thing I picked up from the boards was if you and your husband are booked in separate cabins (i.e. for your BOOKING you do one parent and one child per room), you can get away with CHEERS for one cabin (since there is only one adult in the cabin - you pay once). They don't watch where you are sleeping, only who are the names/ages in the cabin. Not sure if that will help you.

I'm totally with you on the packing...We fly across the country (parents live on the west coast) once or twice a year and I only did the two suitcase thing per person once...it was AWFUL. Way too much stuff. I don't bring anything that can't double as something else. My biggest issue on this trip, the NOLA trip after. I don't really want to find a place to do laundry after getting off the ship...could have them do it for me...haven't really gotten that far in the plan. Southwest, so far, has really been the cheapest for me. There are just not a lot of options out of here. But I will definitely keep looking.

If you drive you can leave a suitcase with the clothes for NOLA In your car so you don't have to worry about doing laundry or dragging extra clothes with you on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you drive you can leave a suitcase with the clothes for NOLA In your car so you don't have to worry about doing laundry or dragging extra clothes with you on the ship.

I thought of that, but we would still have to drive home...I think laundry in NOLA might be better than a 10 hour drive, but no plane tickets have been purchased yet...there is still plenty of time! :D

I thought of that, but we would still have to drive home...I think laundry in NOLA might be better than a 10 hour drive, but no plane tickets have been purchased yet...there is still plenty of time! :D

Lol, I might just prefer a 10hr drive over laundry :D. Totally kidding!

Let me ask you a question…first Saturday in weeks with no plans…no wrestling tournaments, no fishing trips, no business plans, no end of the quarter reports due, no gymnastics responsibilities…what do you do? Sleep in? Yard work? Maybe even sleep in and then clean hours? Nope, no my DH…up at 6:45 and time to declutter…not clean house, just declutter…which, in my house, makes a huge mess for me to clean up…In the end, we have a decluttered, messy house that needs a major cleaning. And next weekend, already packed with responsibilities…oh well, gotta love him!

While he’s waist deep in the closet I snuck away to get back to planning. Please keep in mind, this is only planning, and we’re 400 days out. Many, many things will change. So where were we? Left off arriving in NOLA, we’ve slept (sounds like either Hilton Riverside or somewhere near the airport since we’ll be back for 4 days/3 nights post cruise) Breakfast will be had at the hotel. Then, gotta get to port. Sounds probably like a taxi, depending on where we stay night one. I plan to get FTTF, two reasons-Belize and DH will want to see the room ASAP. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. I check daily, but I know this far out is unlikely to open for a long time.

Assuming we get FTTF, we’ll board, find our room, drop the carry ons and explore. I really want to get the lay of the land early on. Recommendations for lunch on day one?

At some point we’ll head to our station for the drill and of course enjoy some adult beverages, but I plan for just an easy, relaxing first day. I think I remember that they do a kind of “meet and greet” for the kid’s camps so we’ll go to that. Anything to do or not do on day one? Any tradition you always do first day?

On our last cruise, we had a regular balcony on deck 8 mid-ship (which was lovely and quiet). On the first day, we went up to the spa and purchased the spa pass, so we could go to the thermal rooms and thalasso pool. We enjoyed the access so much, that's why we booked a spa balcony for our upcoming trip in October.

FTTF is totally worth it. We've purchased it on the last 2 cruises. Its worth every penny to speed up the embarkation process and drop all our stuff in our room.

On sail away, we like to sit at a table near the back of the ship. Its so relaxing. We're pretty easy on food, so whatver seemed appealing to you when you get there for lunch. Lots of folks here recommend the pasta bar.

We've stayed in Metarie before the cruise, which is cheaper and not too bad a drive. We've also stayed at the Hilton and Marriott. If you're trying to go with hotwire or priceline, there are two website that can help you figure out which hotels you're likely to get: betterbidding dot com and biddingfortravel dot com

So no first day traditions? How about, what’s the first thing you do on the ship that makes you know that now you’re on vacation?

First two days will be sea days. I really don’t have any big expectations. I want DD to go to her club. I know she’ll love it. She’s a very social child and won’t want to hang with mom and dad. DS, he’s much more a “hang out with M&D” kind of kid, but he prefers to be alone. I think he’ll go to his club, but will probably hang out on the balcony a lot…oh, and eat, like a lot…seriously a lot of food will be consumed…it still astonishes me how much food that kid can put away.

DH and I, I plan to spend a good amount of time in the spa, thinking of the Steakhouse one of these nights. Thoughts/opinions? Since we’ll have Cheers I’m sure there will be a fair amount of beverages consumed. DH likes to gamble a little, but is very sensitive to cigarette smoke, so probably won’t spend a lot of time in there.

Any recommendations for things to do on the first two sea days? Anything to avoid?

So no first day traditions? How about, what’s the first thing you do on the ship that makes you know that now you’re on vacation?

First two days will be sea days. I really don’t have any big expectations. I want DD to go to her club. I know she’ll love it. She’s a very social child and won’t want to hang with mom and dad. DS, he’s much more a “hang out with M&D” kind of kid, but he prefers to be alone. I think he’ll go to his club, but will probably hang out on the balcony a lot…oh, and eat, like a lot…seriously a lot of food will be consumed…it still astonishes me how much food that kid can put away.

DH and I, I plan to spend a good amount of time in the spa, thinking of the Steakhouse one of these nights. Thoughts/opinions? Since we’ll have Cheers I’m sure there will be a fair amount of beverages consumed. DH likes to gamble a little, but is very sensitive to cigarette smoke, so probably won’t spend a lot of time in there.

Any recommendations for things to do on the first two sea days? Anything to avoid?

Well as for first day traditions, we have cruised two other times - and with enough span between them that we do not have 'traditions' per-se. But both times we ate lunch as soon as we could, explored the ship and mini-golfed or whatever activity we knew would be packed on sea days, and checked out kids clubs. We always liked to stand on an upper deck and watch the ship set sail too - with beverages and camera in hand. When sailing through the fjords in Sweden, 8 hours later we were still in the light (summer in the Baltic Sea) and very close to land. I think the Mississippi will be similar.

Sea days are the days we are completely unplanned. Kids go to clubs, parents do whatever we feel like - read, explore, fitness center, coffee on the balcony - whatever the mood of the moment. The ports are planned out - so sea days are 100% free form. This time we will have only one in the O2 club and the other is 18...but she is our calm, introverted one.

Edited by Librarian365

Nothing to do with your planning, but I'm a Colorado native (the fishing really is great!) and saw you mentioned Colorado [emoji3]. Our family of 4 are going on our first cruise this June!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DH gets to CO 3-4 times a year, but it's still not enough! It's his absolute favorite thing to do! I really think he'd retire there if given even an inkling of a chance. :D

We're about an hour from Tulsa too and booked our first cruise for next year...but we're leaving out of Galveston. We're making the 10 hour drive.

I'm a big planner and already have lots of lists! Can't wait to follow along in your planning too!

We will be sailing out of NOLA again in Jan 2017. We always drive - 7 hours away. We stay the night or two before at the Wyndham Belle Maison - we use our timeshare points but you can find it on any hotel booking site. We park at hotel and can walk/trolley to all the great areas of NOLA. It is also only a few blocks from the port - we park at the port as it easier than shuttling with bags. We pack a bag for NOLA that does not go on the cruise. NOLA is such a fabulous city to visit. Enjoy your well deserved first cruise...I am so ready for the excursions to be posted as I am a planner too!

We always book a balcony as I love my outdoor private space just looking at/listening to the beautiful ocean. We have 3 ports on this trip are plan to book an excursion in Montego Bay, Jamaica as it is the least safe of the ports we go too. We love the all inclusive package at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel - great beach day! No plans yet for Grand Cayman - maybe just wandering in port and shop - hear Stingray City is something we should consider doing? Sea Days - we spend doing activities onboard - nothing really planned but relaxation and in our case some casino time. No Cheers for us as we mostly drink in ports, and only a few each day on the boat - I could not drink 15 drinks a day!

Edited by BamaCruisers2011

I stayed at the Hilton Riverside the one time I cruised out of NOLA, pre Katrina. The cruise port is within walking distance of the hotel, only around the long corner. I walked all over, to Harrah's just across the street, the Aquarium, Bourbon St, and restaurants and concerts since it was a music fest week. This was one of the few times that I arrived early to explore a city/area pre cruise.

I did one trip into the bayou, it was simultaneously thrilling and eerie, and I ate alligator for the 1st time.

Enjoy your research and planning!

Edited by evandbob

We will be sailing out of NOLA again in Jan 2017. We always drive - 7 hours away. We stay the night or two before at the Wyndham Belle Maison - we use our timeshare points but you can find it on any hotel booking site. We park at hotel and can walk/trolley to all the great areas of NOLA. It is also only a few blocks from the port - we park at the port as it easier than shuttling with bags. We pack a bag for NOLA that does not go on the cruise. NOLA is such a fabulous city to visit. Enjoy your well deserved first cruise...I am so ready for the excursions to be posted as I am a planner too!

We always book a balcony as I love my outdoor private space just looking at/listening to the beautiful ocean. We have 3 ports on this trip are plan to book an excursion in Montego Bay, Jamaica as it is the least safe of the ports we go too. We love the all inclusive package at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel - great beach day! No plans yet for Grand Cayman - maybe just wandering in port and shop - hear Stingray City is something we should consider doing? Sea Days - we spend doing activities onboard - nothing really planned but relaxation and in our case some casino time. No Cheers for us as we mostly drink in ports, and only a few each day on the boat - I could not drink 15 drinks a day!

Yes, I'm ready for some excursion planning, too! I think I know what we're doing in Cozumel..still thinking on the other two. I'll definitely have a post about those soon!

Oh goodness! I can't drink 15 drinks a day! :eek::eek: At least not alcoholic ones! I figure 4-5 a day plus the non alcohol drinks will be easy to consume and that more than get us our monies worth. But again, just trying to get what we want and see if it was a good choice or not for next time!

Happy planning to you, too!:D

For excursions, we’ve tossed around a few ideas. Maybe a dolphin encounter? Maybe sting rays? Maybe explore the local area or just relax on a nearby beach?

First port-Mahogany Bay…8am-5pm…

I’m thinking the Dolphin Beach Encounter at Anthony’s Key Resort? Cost is $69 per person. I think this might be the one for us because you can just walk out to them. The whole family can swim, but this situation sounds more enjoyable than others I’ve read about.

This is the review by IslandGallery…

The encounter portion of the experience is the more hands-on portion. You will be waist deep in the water, having walked in from the beach on Bailey's Key. You will be in a small group with one trainer and one dolphin. Each trainer has one dolphin at the beach and, depending on how many people are booked, there will be a small group with each trainer. You will be in a straight line, part of your group on one side of the trainer and part on the other. The trainer will have a cooler with fish and will ask the dolphin to perform certain behaviors. You will get to touch the dolphin, the trainer will tell you and your family about dolphins in general and about that particular dolphin. You will get to watch many behaviors. Someone from the Photo Shop will document this. You will leave your camera on the beach until the last few minutes when they allow you to go get your camera to shoot some shots.

Then you will go to the beach and get your snorkel gear while the trainers finish up with the dolphins. You will get your gear on and get back in the water inside the enclosure. A trainer or two will be with your group for the swim. The dolphins will be released from their stations and will now be out swimming and checking you all out.

During this time you will stay roughly together in a group but spread out enough that you will each sort of be doing your own thing. The dolphins are not forced to interact, it is their choice how much interaction they take part in while you are in the water. They do this all the time so for them they know the drill. You will get to watch them swim, dive, etc. You will see them interacting with one another.

Sometimes they come up to you, rub against you, allow you to reach out and touch them. Other times they will bring you a piece of turtle grass to throw and fetch. Sometimes they go off for minutes at a time and you don't see them for a while.

If you have never had a dolphin experience before, it is great fun. It is certainly something your family will remember. You will begin at the resort side of the property- over on Roatan (the main island). You will go and get on a boat that will take you over to Bailey's Key (not far at all, takes less than a couple minutes to get transported there). There you will receive a briefing from the training staff. There are areas there to leave your things while you are on the encounter and swim as well as showers and restrooms.

I also read that the pictures can be purchased on a USB for $70 in 2012. Assuming they are probably more now, but even double isn’t bad to fully enjoy the encounter and have pictures we are all in.

Thinking we’ll book this one when the June dates come open. It does look like this is one that requires full payment at time of booking. Haven’t looked into the cancellation policy, but will before booking.

Anyone done the Dolphin Beach Encounter? Thoughts or opinions? Anyone know how we get there? Hope you all have a FANTASTIC Mother’s Day weekend!