Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

I haven't read all the posts but make sure your kids check out the arcade on the ship! It is kind of tucked away but it's big, tons of games and you can trade in virtual tickets for prizes in the machine. Our kids loved it! Just be sure to cap what they are allowed to spend in there or your sail and sign card will be out of control high even just after a day!

We loved the ship!

I haven't read all the posts but make sure your kids check out the arcade on the ship! It is kind of tucked away but it's big, tons of games and you can trade in virtual tickets for prizes in the machine. Our kids loved it! Just be sure to cap what they are allowed to spend in there or your sail and sign card will be out of control high even just after a day!

We loved the ship!

Awesome! My kids will love that!!

Awesome! My kids will love that!!

What I used to do when my son was younger is make his account a cash only account after I prepaid the gratuities. You can add cash then to their account for them to use how they like. Worked really well and he knew to budget his $. Just make sure you prepay the gratuities or they will try to charge their accounts and take the deposited $ for that instead of them getting it for anything they want(my son bought candy, arcade games, souvenir's)... Have fun, 1st cruises are awesome!

What I used to do when my son was younger is make his account a cash only account after I prepaid the gratuities. You can add cash then to their account for them to use how they like. Worked really well and he knew to budget his $. Just make sure you prepay the gratuities or they will try to charge their accounts and take the deposited $ for that instead of them getting it for anything they want(my son bought candy, arcade games, souvenir's)... Have fun, 1st cruises are awesome!

Yes, have definitely planned on putting an amount of cash each day for him to spend. Gratuities have been paid, so should be good there. DS will be 16 so he'll spend money without us, DD will be 8, probably won't have charging privileges as she won't be spending money without us...at least we don't want her to! :eek:

I purchased this one...

http://www.luglife.com/collections/totes/products/promenade-full-tote?variant=1270605624

I like these because they have lots of pockets, can wipe clean, and still a cute color. Figure DH can bring the backpack that we take on excursions. If I bring a wristlet that doubles as a wallet, I think I'll have all my bases covered on bags! :p

Next up, carry ons...we're flying and I only want to bring two large checked bags. I've got a spreadsheet that lists everything in our four personal items, four carry ons, and two suitcases. Problem...we have two carryons that will be fine. Our third is way too small. Gotta get two that meet the 22x12x9 United Airlines limit...what is your favorite carryon? I think I prefer soft sided, with a pocket or two on the outside. I don't think I care about inside pockets...take up too much room. Maybe a rolling duffel? Any opinions?

Well, just made another change...uggh...switched from Playa Mia in Cozumel to Nachi Cocum. I've seen the recent reports of seaweed, etc at Nachi Cocum and decided I didn't want to chance it. But let's me honest, it's 270+ days away, many things can happen. Cozumel is our last port, I think we'll be exhausted. The thought of only 100 people at Nachi Cocum is so exciting to me. So, cancelled Playa Mia (think the youngest would have fun, but I think it will be crowded and we'll be hankering for a slower scene). There will be three ships with us in Cozumel. We should have a few hours when we arrive before Nachi Cocum opens...anything we need to do in port before we taxi over?

We will be on the Dream in the fall of 2017 (still selecting the exact week). We will also have a 10 hour drive but we are already embracing it. My husband and I will be leaving before daylight on the day before the cruise. We are coming from Illinois so we are planning to eat in Memphis (bbq fix!) and then be in New Orleans in time to pick my mother up at the airport early that evening and head out for dinner. We are staying at the Crowne out by the airport and doing the Stay, Park and Cruise for $129 which is very close to what we would have paid just for parking if we drove straight through.

Our return will involve dropping my mother at the airport and then heading into Alabama to stay with family for the night at our halfway point.

I have looked at flights but I just don't think we can do it cheaper. My mother HAS to fly due to back issues.

Oh my goodness! Just saw a price drop and OBC offered...submitted the form and within about 20 minutes had the $97 credited to the final balance and $50 OBC added! It's not a huge amount, but anything helps! It was fun to find then and submit it. Being so far out, fingers crossed there will be another one! :D

We will be on the Dream in the fall of 2017 (still selecting the exact week). We will also have a 10 hour drive but we are already embracing it. My husband and I will be leaving before daylight on the day before the cruise. We are coming from Illinois so we are planning to eat in Memphis (bbq fix!) and then be in New Orleans in time to pick my mother up at the airport early that evening and head out for dinner. We are staying at the Crowne out by the airport and doing the Stay, Park and Cruise for $129 which is very close to what we would have paid just for parking if we drove straight through.

Our return will involve dropping my mother at the airport and then heading into Alabama to stay with family for the night at our halfway point.

I have looked at flights but I just don't think we can do it cheaper. My mother HAS to fly due to back issues.

Sounds like you have a good plan, now you just need a date! :D

Here's a post I've put off writing. Another reason I've avoided cruising...my weight. I know, I know...there is always someone who wishes they were your size and everyone is minding their own fat that they're too busy to notice yours. It's not just that, but I've been uncomfortable in my own skin for a while. I knew when I wrote this, I'd have to do something about it. Now, I have, so I can write about it. Nothing fancy, move more/eat less (and better choices with what I do eat). I'm going to the gym daily (except Sundays-there isn't time) and counting everything I eat.

I'm down 13 lbs. Several more to go...but I've got 270+ days, right? :)

I just couldn't fathom the thought of trucking through NOLA in a million degrees with the humidity and enjoying it. Also, I'll be 40 next year, I refuse to turn 40 at this weight. So now I won't. It's fun being able to tell a difference in the mirror. A big change this time, I'm doing it for me! No one else...not to please anyone...just something for me. I think that's why I've been successful. I've not cheated once! :D

Okay, I wrote it, now it's out there. Keep me accountable!

Well lets start a group-"Pre-cruise weight loss". Maybe even a thread on here? I am not exactly the best weight I should be and due to minor health issues I would be lot better with pounds off. I had begun dieting and I am now using my cruise in December as added incentive. Knowing I may put on a few pounds during cruise and want to be OK with eating what I want while on the cruise I have rededicated myself and it is working. I am down 32 pounds and there is still more to go. Plus heck will feel good to not feel like I have to wear a shirt the whole time I am at the beaches. I will be 60 next year and I am not turning 60 weighing what I weigh now.

Edited by ekajun1957

I'm not sure what you decided re: fly vs. drive, but I vote fly. I don't mind driving to places but the drive home seems at least 2.5 times longer than the drive there, for me. We went to NOLA for Christmas 2014 and found it to be very walkable and I would NOT consider it car friendly. Traffic was heavy all the time. We took the Streetcars several days & a bus once. All were friendly, safe, and affordable jaunts. Here's my streetcar review https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60864-d109338-Reviews-RTA_Streetcars-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html - also, we loved our hotel. It's just slightly outside the French Quarter but quieter and more family oriented. Here's my review for it https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60864-d498233-r247274249-Country_Inn_Suites_By_Carlson_New_Orleans_French_Quarter-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html - My only concern, is that we are walkers & don't mind a walk - if your family likes to park close to the door everywhere you go, this probably is not a good hotel for you. Whatever you decide, have fun!!

I'm not sure what you decided re: fly vs. drive, but I vote fly. I don't mind driving to places but the drive home seems at least 2.5 times longer than the drive there, for me. We went to NOLA for Christmas 2014 and found it to be very walkable and I would NOT consider it car friendly. Traffic was heavy all the time. We took the Streetcars several days & a bus once. All were friendly, safe, and affordable jaunts. Here's my streetcar review https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60864-d109338-Reviews-RTA_Streetcars-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html - also, we loved our hotel. It's just slightly outside the French Quarter but quieter and more family oriented. Here's my review for it https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60864-d498233-r247274249-Country_Inn_Suites_By_Carlson_New_Orleans_French_Quarter-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html - My only concern, is that we are walkers & don't mind a walk - if your family likes to park close to the door everywhere you go, this probably is not a good hotel for you. Whatever you decide, have fun!!

Thanks for the links-I'll definitely check them out! LOVE to read reviews!! We did decide to fly, a huge reason, just like you said, the drive home=YUCK! I start dreading it before we leave. I found a great deal and we're flying out of our small local airport. Never would have even checked it, but after everyone suggesting it on here, I did. Was so pleasantly surprised!

We are for sure walkers in normal life. I worry a little about the heat of NOLA, but we do have our hotels booked. Streetcars will be our friend. :) Haven't really figured those out, but I will before we go. :)

Well lets start a group-"Pre-cruise weight loss". Maybe even a thread on here? I am not exactly the best weight I should be and due to minor health issues I would be lot better with pounds off. I had begun dieting and I am now using my cruise in December as added incentive. Knowing I may put on a few pounds during cruise and want to be OK with eating what I want while on the cruise I have rededicated myself and it is working. I am down 32 pounds and there is still more to go. Plus heck will feel good to not feel like I have to wear a shirt the whole time I am at the beaches. I will be 60 next year and I am not turning 60 weighing what I weigh now.

I think there is a whole board dedicated to losing before cruising...but, those seem to be established and not just quite what I was looking for. We could do one here. May just be the two of us, but that's okay! :)

I'm down 15lbs since starting 12 days ago. I am mad at myself...thought all day that it was Friday and that the gym closed at 10, but it's Saturday and it closes at 7...uggh. It's too late to walk outside, so I'm getting up early in the morning to work out before church.

But, tomorrow is another day. Didn't happen overnight, won't lose it overnight.

What's funny...I have only lost a small part of what I plan to lose before June...but I already feel so differently. I find myself holding myself up straighter. I feel more confident. So much further to go, but those feelings keep me going :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, have definitely planned on putting an amount of cash each day for him to spend. Gratuities have been paid, so should be good there. DS will be 16 so he'll spend money without us, DD will be 8, probably won't have charging privileges as she won't be spending money without us...at least we don't want her to! :eek:

We went on the Glory in August and I always put cash on my kids cards for games, purchases in the fun shops etc. My daughter is 15, she won an iPhone 6 Plus in the arcade. She was so excited.

You are a great planner! Maybe you should be a travel agent on the side? First, I LOVE that dress! I will have to check out that site.

I too hate the thought of using a snorkel that has been in someone else's mouth. We have bought them at the excursion desk(I think that was it) for $5. We have taken the entire set before also and it is just too much to pack and carry around.

Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel is a wonderful place to swim with dolphins. We have done that twice there and will be doing it again next March. They have great specials every so often when you book directly through them. The "Encounters" are not nearly as fun as the swims.

You all will have a blast and will be addicted to cruising by the time you get back.

You are a great planner! Maybe you should be a travel agent on the side? First, I LOVE that dress! I will have to check out that site.

I too hate the thought of using a snorkel that has been in someone else's mouth. We have bought them at the excursion desk(I think that was it) for $5. We have taken the entire set before also and it is just too much to pack and carry around.

Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel is a wonderful place to swim with dolphins. We have done that twice there and will be doing it again next March. They have great specials every so often when you book directly through them. The "Encounters" are not nearly as fun as the swims.

You all will have a blast and will be addicted to cruising by the time you get back.

My mom says the same thing about become a travel agent. My problem, I like to do it my way. Not sure I could do it for someone else! :)

We definitely won't take the whole set, but if only $5, maybe that's worth it not to take it at all. Will have to look into that. Thanks for the info!!

I've heard great things about Chankanaab-will check it out as well!

Thanks!! :D

So here's the accountability on the weight loss...started a month ago tomorrow...from Sept 5-Oct 4 I've lost a total of 21.5 lbs. I won't lie, it's been rocky. I started with a low calorie diet and working out for 45 minutes 6 times a week. I was absolutely miserable. I was exhausted and not losing as quickly as I thought I should for the little amount I was eating. MISERABLE! So had a cheat weekend, and started new a week ago yesterday. I have cut out all sugar and grains. Getting rid of all that processed junk. I'm eating real food-lean protein, veggies, a little fruit, dairy and working out 5 times a week for an hour. I'm steadily losing every day and so much happier. I have a goal to be 13.5 lbs lighter within this month. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Went through a tough 10ish days, but am down a total of 26 pounds. Hoping for another 9 this month, but that may be wishful thinking...Keep trying to remember that it didn't all show up in a few weeks, so it will take longer than that to get rid of it.

My cravings really have stopped. I went to an event today with 50+ food trucks and was able to avoid them all. That was HUGE for me. I look forward to going to the gym...when I have to miss it, I miss it. Again, another HUGE thing for me!

All in all, I think it's going well. Hoping to be down 50 lbs before the end of the year. One pound at a time...

Trip planning, not a lot going on. I've gotten close to 70% of everything paid off for it. I budgeted our spending money and divided by the number of weeks left and am setting that aside each week (in excess when possible).

Will check in with another accountability check in a week or so...hope you are all having a grand fall!

We have driven to New Orleans for both cruises on the Dream along with other visits to NOLA. The drive down is not too bad. If you take 65 out of Pine Bluff, you get to visit Transylvania along the way.

We sometimes break it up with a night in Vicksburg, MS. It is a wonderful town to visit. If you have time, visit the Civil War Battlefield. It takes the most part of a day to really go through it.

If you read my B2B review, we found a fantastic place for seafood along the way in the swamp outside NOLA. Very popular place with the locals, from New Orleans.

Deanie's Seafood is a great place to eat. I have not really had a bad meal anywhere in NOLA though.

The Dream will go through a dry-dock before your cruise. They are making a change I do not like. They are removing the live music form the stage shows. Other than that, the Dream is getting some great upgrades.

My B2B review will give you a lot of information on the cruise. I don't need to repeat it here.

You will have a great time on the ship. The crew of the Dream works hard to make you enjoy the cruise.

Trying to plan our our daily schedules. I know, I know...but it's what I do... :)

We are staying in the downtown area for one night after our cruise. I looked at the trolley system and it's a pretty good haul with luggage (10 min walk, then 12 min on trolley, then 1 min walk, then 10 min trolley). I know we'll be tired and cranky that it's almost over...any idea how much a taxi is from the port to the downtown area? Is that the best option?

Thanks!

Trying to plan our our daily schedules. I know, I know...but it's what I do... :)

We are staying in the downtown area for one night after our cruise. I looked at the trolley system and it's a pretty good haul with luggage (10 min walk, then 12 min on trolley, then 1 min walk, then 10 min trolley). I know we'll be tired and cranky that it's almost over...any idea how much a taxi is from the port to the downtown area? Is that the best option?

Thanks!

No opinions on how to get from port to downtown?

Okay, next question...when in port and on a beach....valuables...?? I've got an envelope for each port (and most days actually) with the days plan printed, along with the cash needed tucked inside, maps/confirmation emails, etc inside. So at port, I'll need the envelope for each place, three cell phones, a small point a shoot camera, and a small waterproof point and shoot. Of course, we'll have other stuff (sunscreen, bug spray, pre packaged snacks, etc), but when we're in the water....what do we do with out stuff? I've looked at the Kyss bags and Vacation Vaults/SafeGo...Kyss seems so big and just another canvas bag. VV/SG seems awkward...considering the waterproof waist bags at Amazon from Blue Sky. Anyone used before? Seems like they get great reviews. They are reasonable priced. At home, we've used the waterproof phone cases and just add a little cash, driver's license, and debit card...that won't really work for all that we need to carry in port. So the waterproof waist bag (can't bring myself to call it a fanny pack!) and then a regular bag with the other items.

Any thoughts?

Update on weight loss. It's been a tough month, but I assume they all will be. I'm down 30 lbs, which is awesome. I was hoping to be at a total of 35 lost this month...ten days left, but that seems a little far fetched. Guess we'll see what happens. Weird side effect, I don't need as much sleep? It's weird...I don't go to sleep until well after midnight and then wake up just fine at 6:30-7. Odd....

The Drury Inn is a fantastic family hotel. The breakfast and 5:30 kickback can get a little crowded in that hotel but it's still a bargain. Rooms are huge and they have a space designated to hold your luggage pre/post check in/out if you need that.

IIRC, that hotel also has a roof top pool that I'm guessing your daughter would like.

When we stayed there we walked everywhere but we like walking.

We took a taxi from the port to the Drury. I don't remember the cost but it was a normal taxi rate.

With the weight loss, your body is much more efficient without the fat. I too needed less sleep when I lost about 40 pounds. I also had much more energy and woke up feeling great. I know all the rage now is fat shaming is a big no no and you're supposed to feel like a horrible person if you tell a person they should lose weight , but more people should do it instead of fighting it.

Edited by fuddrules