Can't find a single cruise :(. Help me find a cruise.

So, after reading on the boards and on the internet I've decided to cruise the Australian east coast. I could either start from Sydney and end in Perth(fremantle) or start from north and head south. I'm looking for cruises in the months of either Feb. or Mar. of 2017 and can't find a single cruise with balcony cabins. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children and it seems like all the balconies are sold out. Am I doing something wrong ? I've never had trouble picking a cruise before. I want a ship where my boys aged 10 and 12 would have something to do and it's ok if the cruise is a little pricier than it's counterparts but can't find anything on popular cruise booking sites.

Radiance of the Seas 16 nights 9th February Sydney to Fremantle (around the top end) has quad balcony cabins available from $2679 pp

Celebrity Solstice 12 nights 13th March Queensland coast from Sydney return quad balcony from $1728

There are many more varied itineraries but if you specifically want East Coast those are two that came up for me

Feb-Mar isn't a time most ships go around the top end.

Agreed! Way too hot and humid, plus risk of cyclones. It was bad enough in April this year on our Golden Princess cruise.

Some of the US-based cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity) sometimes do one though. Interestingly there was a TV show featuring Celebrity Solstice in one episode, showing her doing the Top End over our summer. Apparently she had all sorts of problems keeping the ship cool. She normally uses two of the four engines but had to fire up a third just for cooling.

Agreed! Way too hot and humid, plus risk of cyclones. It was bad enough in April this year on our Golden Princess cruise.

Some of the US-based cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity) sometimes do one though. Interestingly there was a TV show featuring Celebrity Solstice in one episode, showing her doing the Top End over our summer. Apparently she had all sorts of problems keeping the ship cool. She normally uses two of the four engines but had to fire up a third just for cooling.

We were on that cruise and have to say the weather was perfect not overly hot expect Port Headland , the problems the ship had were due to ocean temps not external temps but passengers were not affected at all, but we were lucky as in 2 days after we left QLD a cyclone formed so just good timing for us i guess

We were on that cruise and have to say the weather was perfect not overly hot expect Port Headland , the problems the ship had were due to ocean temps not external temps but passengers were not affected at all, but we were lucky as in 2 days after we left QLD a cyclone formed so just good timing for us i guess

Same difference, the sea water temperature is relative to the air temperatures. Sea water is used for cooling via heat exchange so if the sea temperature is too warm then other measures need to be taken to keep the passengers cool, at much higher operating cost to the cruise line. Essentially that's why you don't find many Top End cruises over our summer.

Same difference, the sea water temperature is relative to the air temperatures. Sea water is used for cooling via heat exchange so if the sea temperature is too warm then other measures need to be taken to keep the passengers cool, at much higher operating cost to the cruise line. Essentially that's why you don't find many Top End cruises over our summer.

Not sure why you say not many cruises up north in our summer there are quite a few from Aus to eg PNG, Singapore , Indonesia and North Queensland You have more chance of encountering cyclones on south pacific cruises . The problem with the sea temp for that Solstice trip is not a regular occurrence but don't believe everything you see on Tv

Of course there are a few, especially around the shoulder seasons, but from my observations many of the cruise lines focus more on NZ and South Pacific cruises in the peak Nov-Mar period. NZ because that is a limited cruising season and is very popular. The South Pacific because that is popular with families.

Cruises out of Fremantle tend to go more up to Asia in that period, but not as many out of Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. Which makes sense - from the east coast it's a long trek up and around to Darwin and beyond. We love it - lots of sea days, but those that prefer more port stops may not enjoy those cruises as much.

Of course there are a few, especially around the shoulder seasons, but from my observations many of the cruise lines focus more on NZ and South Pacific cruises in the peak Nov-Mar period. NZ because that is a limited cruising season and is very popular. The South Pacific because that is popular with families.

Cruises out of Fremantle tend to go more up to Asia in that period, but not as many out of Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. Which makes sense - from the east coast it's a long trek up and around to Darwin and beyond. We love it - lots of sea days, but those that prefer more port stops may not enjoy those cruises as much.

If you look at the Feb/March cruises around 60% are NZ or South Pacific the other 40% head north and majority of those leave from East coast ,so all i am saying is cruise ships do go North in our summer and quite a lot of them, definitely with you on sea days

Thank you all. So, what months would the east cost cruises be ? I thought there would be more cruises in the Australian summer but I guess not. I'm willing to change my date of travel depending on when those cruises are popular.

I had a quick look what about the Royal Carribbean Radiance of the Seas 9th February.

When I pick the cruise and enter 2 adults and 2 kids, it changes to inside and OV. Thanks though :)

Thank you all. So, what months would the east cost cruises be ? I thought there would be more cruises in the Australian summer but I guess not. I'm willing to change my date of travel depending on when those cruises are popular.

I suggest you use one of the OZ online cruising websites. We aren't allowed to name them here but a simple search should find one that is easy to navigate. The OZ one I am thinking of displays cruises three across on the page with itinerary map, so it is very easy to see at a glance where the cruise is going.

I selected to see cruises starting from Sydney and region Australia and on page 5 found a Celebrity Solstice cruise of 12 nights in March 2016 that goes up to Far North Queensland and appears to have plenty of balcony cabins available. Solstice is a lovely ship.

You have to skim past a whole lot of world cruise sectors and longer cruises to Asia but you should find some choice there, it will show any Top End cruises departing from Sydney. Also check that website with a departure port of Fremantle to see Top End cruises in the other direction.

Remember Royal are only in our region during our summer season.

Princess does most of it's Top End cruises in winter and that is a perfect time for them. You might get a cool day at either end but the rest of the cruise will be warm and sunny.

Remember Royal are only in our region during our summer season.

Princess does most of it's Top End cruises in winter and that is a perfect time for them. You might get a cool day at either end but the rest of the cruise will be warm and sunny.

Thank you so much. I think I found the site you are talking about. So, if I do the cruise in winter won't the days be short and on the ship it will be cold and windy ? Australian winter works better for me because kids are off from school but from the initial reading it seemed like it wasn't a good time to visit because of the above reasons.

Thank you so much. I think I found the site you are talking about. So, if I do the cruise in winter won't the days be short and on the ship it will be cold and windy ? Australian winter works better for me because kids are off from school but from the initial reading it seemed like it wasn't a good time to visit because of the above reasons.

I wonder if this chart might be helpful to you.

Look at the attached thumbnail or map #11 at this website.

image.jpg.b8c826e63387ce0b4ba0b34b7edf123c.jpg

If you do a Top End cruise, which is usually around 17 days, you'll get plenty of warm weather. We did this cruise last year, from Fremantle to Sydney, departing mid-August. The first day (embarkation) and the next, a port day at Geraldton, were cool, windy and showery, after that we had warm weather all the way around the top and back to Sydney. There were a couple of windy days though.

The days aren't too short since you are mostly travelling in the tropical area of Australia - around 12 twelve hours of daylight. Are you from the Northern Hemisphere? Even in winter Sydney doesn't have the really short days that say, London, has in mid-winter.

Just a thought, uvasag. What are you expecting from a coastal cruise of Australia? The typical Top End cruise has lots of sea days, but doesn't visit that many ports. They usually visit Brisbane, the Cairns / Port Douglas region (Yorkey's Knob is part of that) for the Great Barrier Reef, Darwin, Broome, an overseas port in Indonesia or Papua New Guinea, and maybe Geraldton. And they do scenic cruising along the spectacular Kimberley Coast. If you're wanting to see Australia in more depth you really need to do some land travel before or after the cruise.

Also there aren't usually many children on those cruises as, being our winter there are only short school holidays during that period.

Celebrity Solstice 12 nights 13th March Queensland coast from Sydney return quad balcony from $1728

That looks a nice one; as long as you accept being still in the wet season.

Goes to Airlie, Cairns and Port Douglas.

Plus, actually overnights in Cairns.

Has perks available for the booking as well.

PS: reasonably active roll call for it as well which helps.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

If you do a Top End cruise, which is usually around 17 days, you'll get plenty of warm weather. We did this cruise last year, from Fremantle to Sydney, departing mid-August. The first day (embarkation) and the next, a port day at Geraldton, were cool, windy and showery, after that we had warm weather all the way around the top and back to Sydney. There were a couple of windy days though.

The days aren't too short since you are mostly travelling in the tropical area of Australia - around 12 twelve hours of daylight. Are you from the Northern Hemisphere? Even in winter Sydney doesn't have the really short days that say, London, has in mid-winter.

I'm from Michigan so yes from the Northern hemisphere. So which months would you suggest best for the top end cruise ? I was also thinking of spending a week in NZ so a timeframe that would work best for both places or is that not possible ?

Also, thank you Sparky74 for the very interesting and knowledgeable site :)