Independence Itinery Change

Excuse me if this thread appears elsewhere, but.....

I'm really annoyed that the Mediterranean Beaches cruise departing Southampton on 30th July has had its itinery changed TWICE now! Particularly as the two ports affected are the only ones I've not been to before!

I can understand itinery changes due to bad weather, political circumstances, health etc. but the excuses given are port construction in Sardinia and "berthing conflicts" in Corsica.

Surely plans for the port construction were formulated more than 2 years ago. How did Royal Caribbean not know? As to what "berthing conflicts" are, that's anybody's guess - particularly as other Royal Caribbean ships and other cruise lines still seem to be docking in Corsica. Again, surely Royal Caribbean knew that the Independence would be going to Corsica years ago and would have reserved the necessary berth.

We are now going to Barcelona (which I've visited many times), and Toulon!!

Now the last time I was there, Toulon was the French Naval base and I wouldn't have put it at the top of my list if I was visiting Mediterranean Beaches!

Just sooooo annoyed that the holiday is now completely different, and one that I would not have booked.

Any comments?

The cruise contract that you accept when you purchase a cruise specifically states that the cruiseline can change itineraries and ports as they see fit, for any reason. They can cancel all the ports and make it a long cruise to nowhere. While you may be disappointed, this is the nature of cruising.

Sorry to read this. I would be annoyed too. I was looking at this itinerary for Summer 2017 and Sardinia and Corsica were the reason why. I've driven through Toulon and it is definetely not a beach stop!

Edited by livylotte

I totally understand your frustration. I have experienced "berthing difficulties" only once. Nassau decided the day we were to dock that there were going to be too many ships in port and we had to go elsewhere. Royal did scramble and have us dock at Freeport. Ugh. The only good thing was the arrival. The ship had never docked there before so we were treated to an arrival with fire hoses blasting water and the locals dancing us in on top of the seawall.

Hope you are able to find some joy out of your changes. A day in Aix when you dock in Toulon? Not a beach, but such a pretty place. I bet that is old hat as well, but I am trying here.

The cruise contract that you accept when you purchase a cruise specifically states that the cruiseline can change itineraries and ports as they see fit, for any reason. They can cancel all the ports and make it a long cruise to nowhere. While you may be disappointed, this is the nature of cruising.

I'm sure OP is aware of that. Didn't ask for an analysis of the cruise contract.......... They were just venting.

...I can understand itinerary changes due to bad weather, political circumstances, health etc. but the excuses given are port construction in Sardinia and "berthing conflicts" in Corsica...

Any comments?

Construction schedules change and port management sometimes has to deal with changes of priority for incoming ships. Not that it helps you any, but neither of these are RC's fault. FWIW if you get after customer service you *might* get offered a bit of OBC for the trouble.

If you do enough cruises it is bound to happen. At least you knew in advance. One time we found out the night before boarding that our cruise was going in an entirely different direction than planned.

By all means, keep in touch with your roll call and have a look at the ports of call area of CC for things to do at the new stops. Looking at it another way, it is an excuse to go back another time, right?