Ships time vs port-time

dem1958

I hope somebody can help me with this. We are going on at Western cruise and we will be pulling into Grand Cayman according to the ship at 8 AM, now is this 8 AM ships time or 8 AM port time.

We want to go on Stingray Sailing to go to stingray city which leaves at 9:15 AM if we get there at 8 AM ships time it's 9 AM Cayman time which means we won't have much time to get to the 915 tour. Thanks in advance

While NCL almost always changes the ship's time to match local port time, we have been on at least three NCL cruises where they did not in at least one port. One of those cruises was a Western Caribbean itinerary. That's not to say ship's time won't be changed to match local port time on this cruise, but there is a small chance it won't. I would assume you will be changing to local time, but it's not a stone cold 100% certainty.

Edited by njhorseman

We were in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago, on Caribbean Princess. I looked through my notes and it looks like we tendered in from the ship (arrival time 7 AM). Also, the woman who booked my stingray excursion said in the confirmation email to meet at 8:15 AM local time, but I don't remember if we changed time on that ship or not.

We just got off an NCL cruise through the Panama Canal, where we changed time 3x and were off local time (confused the crud out of me every time), so to be safe, when you make your excursion reservation, let them know what ship you are coming on. The tour companies do so much business with cruise ships, they usually know which ships change time and which ones don't.

Also, if you want an amazing stingray excursion, check out Cayman Eco Adventures (http://www.caymanecoadventures.com ). They operate a smaller boat (25 people) and bring several buckets of fish to feed the stingrays (you get to feed them too!). As a result, the stingrays flocked to our group, and several people from the bigger tours tried to join our group because they saw how many rays were in our area. Our guides chased them away, firmly yet politely. We had a great time with them!

Also, invest in a waterproof camera/phone case (super cheap on Amazon). Our pictures/videos of the rays are great souvenirs of a fantastic excursion!