Koningsdam Obstructed Balcony

InTheWASide

Found a picture. It doesn't identify the specific room number but this may give an idea. I personally don't consider this an obstruction but...

To me it looks like a tender, not a lifeboat, if that gives any idea what to expect for the other based on side views of the ship

1c2d9ced3e60c83afe8d2574706f1c18.jpg

Edited by InTheWASide

Where on Earth did you find this picture?? I booked an obstructed balcony for 66 days, Amsterdam to Lauderdale 2017. The cost of one segment has already gone up significantly. I expect prices will continue to rise as word gets out about how unobstructed these cabins may actually be.

This is probably the VH category cabin. HAL told me that the obstruction was when you looked down from the balcony, so not infront of the balcony.

So really only a partial obstruction.

Where on Earth did you find this picture?? I booked an obstructed balcony for 66 days, Amsterdam to Lauderdale 2017. The cost of one segment has already gone up significantly. I expect prices will continue to rise as word gets out about how unobstructed these cabins may actually be.

#koningsdam on twitter is a beautiful thing :) This was put up by a travel/cruise person... forget if it was agency related or not. But they identified it as deck 4 obstructed.

We have twice had similar cabins on another cruise line. The only obstruction was the lifeboat that was below. Both times there was a significant saving from an unobstructed balcony so went for it and were happy that we did.

In all honesty it is not drastically different than what HAL is pushing off as a VA category balcony on the Vista Class. The difference is that the Life Boat sits up about 3 to 4 feet higher maybe less. A few years ago these were category VE cabins.

In all honesty it is not drastically different than what HAL is pushing off as a VA category balcony on the Vista Class. The difference is that the Life Boat sits up about 3 to 4 feet higher maybe less. A few years ago these were category VE cabins.
And the deck 5 K-dam V are not drastically different from Vista/Signature deck 5 VA/V. Both are overrated IMO.

And the deck 5 K-dam V are not drastically different from Vista/Signature deck 5 VA/V. Both are overrated IMO.

There was a two part revenue reason why HAL did this, one the average Brand New Cruiser reads that for less motion it is best to be lower and mid ship and since this area fits that why not charge the higher price even though it has a smaller balcony and life boat almost blocking a view. The sales of this area have continued to rise for HAL based on new passengers for those that do not know.

The second reason is that for HAL's Vista and Signature Class ships and 7 day itineraries they often need to do SALES so they offer special pricing on the VH Guarantee. When it is time for assignments the highest price category is what is normally remaining which is normally the category VA or V. So this way HAL can assign these cabins that use to be category VE to those that choose the special guarantee pricing rather than give those paying the least the best possible category.

I do believe that what is now VH on Koningsdam was VA and they felt they would do the same for the new ship but what they had not expected was that the Life Boat did sit up much higher giving a true Partial obstruction and they knew they could not get away with having this stay as a VA category.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS