Emerald Lake

cos24

Contemplating driving out there in a couple weeks. Is it still frozen over though?

I am no expert but it's been in the 60's and 70's so I would think not. I will be driving there on the 25th, if that's before you I will let you know. ;D

Kel

We've rented a car in Skagway for May 19th. I'll post when we return, but from what I've read online the lake is not frozen. Alaska has had a relatively warm winter.

Yes, please do post when you are there on the 19th - that would help a lot.

I was hoping to make the drive myself, but I procrastinated too long and am having trouble finding a rental for the 25th. Enjoy!

There are only 3 vendors, I suggest you contact each one of them - now, by phone and verify they are sold out. IF anything is available, and this is your priority then be willing to book on the spot. There won't be any walk up options.

Thank you. I was digging around a bit and did find that one. There are some -really- bad reviews for that agency. Lots of billing and customer service issues. Enough for me to avoid.

I don't rent from them, but, it is not managed by the person who did get some poor reviews, several years ago. The current owners are relatives, who, I haven't seen have any significant issues with customers.

IF a car is needed- and they have one, and the other 2 don't , I would rent from them. I probably wouldn't pay the Green Jeep price either. :)

Thank you.. Maybe I will take a closer look.

Did a quick look. Reviews are 6-8 months ago, so last season. I'll be skipping a rental if this is the only thing available. Accurate or not these reviews are the only thing we can really make an assessment on. I am finding very little else to support a positive experience, not even a website for the company.

Edited by PixShooter

Will be on an Alaskan cruise next month, will be goin to Carcross and can't wait to see Emerald Lake, among other places. Am getting ansy!!:eek:

We will be there in two weeks...have the rental car booked...so excited! I have not seen any bad photos of Emerald Lake. I'm really hoping to get to hold some sled puppies at our lunch pit stop too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Skagway on May 19, and Emerald Lake was totally thawed. On the way to Emerald Lake we saw a few smaller lakes that were still partially frozen, but the roads were totally clear. There was a small section where there were road repairs, but it was no big deal.

We were so glad we rented a car and did the tour on our own. We had a wonderful day enjoying the fantastic views--we even saw three bears!

We will be there in two weeks...have the rental car booked...so excited! I have not seen any bad photos of Emerald Lake. I'm really hoping to get to hold some sled puppies at our lunch pit stop too. :)

Puppies?!?! Where is this pit stop?

We were just there. Since this is inland it was one time that it was sunny and warm. The lake was really glowing emerald! The huge sticky rolls from the coffee shop were so good with big chopped nuts on top. Watch for wildlife too while you take in the stunning views. We saw two bears really close! They were munching on the roadside dandelions