disembarking at San Diego

ellian1

I can't seem to find much info on this so maybe someone can help. Orlando airport was a dream when it comes to Disney. Especially wonderful was the automatic baggage check the night before leaving whereby we never saw the bags again until our home airport. I can't seem to find out much about the procedure at San Diego. Is there Disney transport from the port to the airport and is there any similar luggage plan? We have about a 5 hour wait before our flight in August and would love to have the bags "disappear" as they did in Orlando. The only post I have been able to find tells how there are huge lines for taxis at San Diego. Meaning that Disney does not provide anything? Wonder if anyone knows more. Thanks.

I can't seem to find much info on this so maybe someone can help. Orlando airport was a dream when it comes to Disney. Especially wonderful was the automatic baggage check the night before leaving whereby we never saw the bags again until our home airport. I can't seem to find out much about the procedure at San Diego. Is there Disney transport from the port to the airport and is there any similar luggage plan? We have about a 5 hour wait before our flight in August and would love to have the bags "disappear" as they did in Orlando. The only post I have been able to find tells how there are huge lines for taxis at San Diego. Meaning that Disney does not provide anything? Wonder if anyone knows more. Thanks.

I found this on the DCL website:

Guests Arranging Independent Air Travel

Ground transfers are available for an additional fee for those making their own flight arrangements. To add transfers to your cruise package, call (800) 951-3532 at least 75 days prior to vacation commencement date. In order to provide transfer service, your inbound and outbound flight details are required.

Please allow ample time for all your travel connections. We recommend the following flight-time guidelines:

Latest arrival time to San Diego International Airport on Embarkation Day: 2:15 PM

Earliest departure time from San Diego International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM

Luggage Tags*: You’ll receive Disney Cruise Line luggage tags in your document package. Whether you book air travel through Disney Cruise Line or on your own, remember to attach the luggage tags to your checked bags. The tags will help you identify your bags at San Diego International Airport and are needed so we can deliver your bags directly to your stateroom.

Approximate Times for Transfers, Port Check-In and Customs

Traveling from San Diego International Airport to the Port of San Diego takes approximately 10 minutes.

The Cruise Terminal opens at 11:00 AM and boarding begins around 1:00 PM. At check-in, you will need to present all required documentation, and proof of citizenship for each member of your party. Disney Cruise Line representatives will be on hand to direct you to the appropriate check-in station.

Prior to your sail date, use My Online Check-In to complete your cruise documents and select your Port Arrival Time. Please plan to arrive at the Cruise Terminal based on your selected Port Arrival Time.

Allow a minimum of 4 hours at the beginning and end of your cruise for travel time, customs/immigrations clearances and security checks at the port and the airport.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/

There is no onboard Airline check in (as in Port Canaveral/MCO)

Yes, DCL provides bus transportation. You book it thru the cruise line, the same way you did for Port Canaveral cruises.

The other kicker about having to transport your own bags is that some airlines will not allow you to check in your bags until 4 hours before your flight. We had to keep them with us and then take them to the airline at the 4 hour mark.

My suggestion would be to stay on the ship till 9, and then hope that your airline will allow you to check them in when you arrive at the airport.

Thanks for the info. Kinda a bummer that they won't check our bags thru to Seattle . I guess I was spoiled in Orlando. We will just have carry ons so we will probably just have to keep them with us if we want to do anything in the area before flight time. I did find a service that will pick our bags up at the port and deliver them to us at the airport when we request. I am not sure if it is worth the fee. Think I will check out the San Diego airport and see if there is anything interesting to do there with a 7 year old. I used to live in San Diego.....40 years ago!!! lol..............maybe I can dig up......literally?.. an old friend who can come and meet us for a few hours.

We were on the Wonder for the westbound Panama Canal cruise which docked in San Diego on May 15. We had late dinner seating and our debarkation breakfast was scheduled for 8:45 a.m. We walked off the ship at approximstely 9:40 a.m., found a porter, easily found luggage, breezed through customs, and had no wait for an available taxi. The airport is next to port - about a 10 minute ride.

Edited by Granana

We were on the Wonder for the westbound Panama Canal cruise which docked in San Diego on May 15. We had late dinner seating and our debarkation breakfast was scheduled for 8:45 a.m. We walked off the ship at approximstely 9:40 a.m., found a porter, easily found luggage, breezed through customs, and had no wait for an available taxi. The airport is next to port - about a 10 minute ride.

I can second that. We cruised from Vancouver to San Diego in September. Getting our luggage and through customs was a snap. The cab stand is right outside the terminal. We didn't fly out, since we took Amtrak up to Anaheim to continue our vacation at Disneyland.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am thinking of trying that luggage service where they pick up your bags when you call them and then deliver them to you at the airport....again, when you call. They seem to have good reviews. That way my granddaughter and I can wander around or go to a beach for a few hours before we have to be at the airport. It is nice to hear that there are not long delays upon disembarking.