forward facing balcony

angel41

From what I have heard the Coral Princess and Island Princess had such cabins on Baja and Caribe decks but the winds were so dangerous that the balconies have either been removed or permanently locked. :eek: The cabins are now category "AF" and called "Oceanview Mini-suite". Check out http://www.princess.com/ships/co/deck/co_baja_index.html

Diamond and Sapphire also have forward facing balcony rooms. We found the balcony great while in port, but it was virtually unuseable while at sea because it was so windy. We were upgraded to this room and only took it because it was a suite. Would have been much happier if we had stayed with our side facing mini-suite.

What ship are you considering ?

I don't have a ship in mind. My favorite spot on any ship is forward where the wind is blowing me off my feet. Unfortunately, alot of these public decks are closed once it gets dark. If I could book a cabin that is in the same location, I wouldn't have to miss out on it at all.

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm bringing back this old thread b/c I'm confused. I was told on these boards that Princess used to have the forward facing balconies but they were sealed. I asked my TA to check into booking on a different line and she never heard of any line sealing balconies (they make more money). So she called Princess and asked about forward facing rooms, either balconies or oceanview and they said minis ans suites have balconies (I knew that) but the oceanviews never used to be balconies (there are no balconies below the floor to ceiling windows) So, what gives? I'm so confused.

Angel

I do believe your agent is in error (not unusual).

Diamond and Sapphire, as built, had forward facing balconies, but due to wind problems, are now sold as standard outside, with the sliders locked. Some stewards will unlock them in port, but they are supposed to remain locked while underway.

Tahitian and Pacific Princess also have forward facing balconies, but do not have the same wind problem, and I believe they are still sold as balconies.

I for one would not want a forward facing balcony, much prefer a side or aft.

From what I have heard the Coral Princess and Island Princess had such cabins on Baja and Caribe decks but the winds were so dangerous that the balconies have either been removed or permanently locked. :eek: The cabins are now category "AF" and called "Oceanview Mini-suite". Check out http://www.princess.com/ships/co/deck/co_baja_index.html

These ships never had forward facing balconies, they do however have cat AF which is the forward 2 mini suites with a window only and no balcony on both the starboard and Port side of Baja and Caribe decks. 8 cabins total. The size of the balcony was incorporated into the inside of the cabin.

The Diamond and the Sapphire do have true forward facing balconies. They are not sealed but are locked sometimes due to weather.

I was on the Diamond this past October on the Alaska - Osaka crossing and lived in a forward facing balcony cabin on Baja deck for a month. The sliding door to the balcony was never locked by my steward. There was a sign on the door that the door needed to remain closed while the ship was moving due to winds. I did step out sometimes but in the open sea, the winds were too strong to even open the door and I am a big guy! I was told by my steward upon embarkation that the curtains needed to be drawn at night as any lights from my cabin would interfere with visibility of the bridge above. I really loved having this forward facing balcony when we would pull into ports as I could step out and get the "captains view" of where we were heading. The balcony is a little larger and was great while in port, before or after an excursion. The downside of this very forward location though was extreme motion during rough seas. There were a couple of nights where I was being physically tossed up and down in my bed but I suppose that is more a function of sailing in the north pacific. All in all, I loved the experience of being able to see where we were going, binolculars in hand, and wind in my face! I would definitely book the same cabin again.

We were on a forward facing balcony on the Tahitian and we loved it!! Not to windy, not too bright. We were out on the balcony every morning, and late at night. There were 4 forward facing rooms two suites(not sure if mini or full suites) and two balcony rooms. I would book this room again. The only caution I would give is that on rough sea days the front of the ship moves alot!!

Kathy

Archived