HAL's cruise insurance?

lahlah57

Does anyone know of what travel insurance they are presently endorsing?

Was going to go with an outside carrier but I want the cruise and flights covered. We booked the cruise and flights together thru HAL and really want them both covered?

Any recent cruisers Hal cruisers for this info and possibly the cost of such?

HAL has a Standard Cancellation Protection Plan which covers just amounts paid to HAL (including air booked from FlightEase) and a Platinum Plan which includes $10K medical and $50K evacuation insurance:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-planning/CancellationProtectionPlans_FAQ.pdf

The best part about it is that it is "cancel for any reason" ... or really no reason at all except that you changed your mind ... unlike 3rd party policies which cover only specified reasons.

The Platinum which we usually use costs about 10% of the insured payments.

Edited by jtl513

I don't remember the name of the company that HAL uses but we do buy their Platinum Insurance. We also buy additional medical insurance on our own
It's in the FAQ.pdf I linked to: Transamerica Casualty Insurance

Edited by jtl513

Does anyone know of what travel insurance they are presently endorsing?

Was going to go with an outside carrier but I want the cruise and flights covered. We booked the cruise and flights together thru HAL and really want them both covered?

Any recent cruisers Hal cruisers for this info and possibly the cost of such?

You can insure flights and cruise when purchased separately under one policy. You need the flight and cruise info including cost when you call the insurer. I've done it with no problem. You need to do it before final cruise payment is due.

Edited by blizzardboy

You can insure the total cost of all parts of our trip on a policy you buy through insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com I have filed various claims over the years and have always had my claims paid promptly. They may not have the cancel for any reason clause that is mentioned for the HAL policy, but they offer much better coverage for medical claims. At a fraction of the cost of HAL's. For an elderly person though, the cruise line policy might be cost effective....I think the costs are the same regardless of age which is not the case with outside insurance. I just hit 50...I saw the bump.

At my age, I find the HAL platinum insurance is a good buy. I usually don't buy flight insurance unless I travel overseas. I have recently had to cancel a cruise and my refund was promptly returned to my credit card.

When I was younger, I used insuremytrip. Once when my DH and I had scheduled a family cruise, he died several months before the cruise date. Our family group eventually decided to go ahead with the cruise. I was surprised and pleased to discover that not only was my husband's cruise cost refunded, but that the insurance covered the single supplement that allowed me to cruise as a single in the same cabin.

If you are shopping, there are better deals to be had, remember that once you purchase the HAL insurance there is no refund, even if you cancel the cruise prior to final payment.

You only need to purchase the hal insurance the day before final payment so this isn't really an issue.