Review-Ruby r/t Alaska Inner Passage May 8-15, 2016

New York Nana

New York Nana what a fabulous review. You have captured the essence of an Alaskan cruise. We are sailing on the Ruby June 19th with our son and his partner. This will be our 4th Alaskan cruise but we never tire of the wonderful scenery. This is truly the "last frontier". We enjoyed the Crab Shack on the Ruby during our last cruise in April but now with the increase in price I'm not sure if we will dine there. However we will dine at the Crown Grill, it's wonderful. Thanks again for your review, the menu's and patters.

• 2 weeks later...
I know Peter Tredgett was the CD on the Ruby Princess for May 2016 Alaska cruises, but did anyone get the last names of his staff (Toby, Matt, Aaron) and where they are from?

No, unfortunately I didn't. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen them mentioned or recorded anywhere.

New York Nana what a fabulous review. You have captured the essence of an Alaskan cruise. We are sailing on the Ruby June 19th with our son and his partner. This will be our 4th Alaskan cruise but we never tire of the wonderful scenery. This is truly the "last frontier". We enjoyed the Crab Shack on the Ruby during our last cruise in April but now with the increase in price I'm not sure if we will dine there. However we will dine at the Crown Grill, it's wonderful. Thanks again for your review, the menu's and patters.

Thank you for your kind words! Have a WONDERFUL trip on board the Ruby next week! I hope you have great weather-but I'm sure, like us, you'll enjoy the majesty of that state in ALL kinds of weather!

Barb

You mentioned the number of days that the most traveled passenger had. I'm wondering if you also know if they had a cocktail party or a luncheon for the top 40. :rolleyes:

This may not be what you're referring to, but for our Ruby May 22-29 cruise, there was a special invitation only event for Platinum and Elite members. It was a cocktail party with the ship's crew on the last formal night. Pictures with the Captain were available at the end. The top 3 couples with the most PCL cruise days were recognized with gifts, and there were a few door prize drawings. It was very nice, and it was held in the Club Fusion Lounge. The lounge was probably only 2/3 full, so it wasn't crowded. Free drinks/appetizers of course!

I know Peter Tredgett was the CD on the Ruby Princess for May 2016 Alaska cruises, but did anyone get the last names of his staff (Toby, Matt, Aaron) and where they are from?

I just got off that cruise today actually. :p Anyways, I'm pretty sure Toby, Matt, and Aaron are all from England. I wish I knew their last names, but sadly I don't.

You mentioned the number of days that the most traveled passenger had. I'm wondering if you also know if they had a cocktail party or a luncheon for the top 40. :rolleyes:

This may not be what you're referring to, but for our Ruby May 22-29 cruise, there was a special invitation only event for Platinum and Elite members. It was a cocktail party with the ship's crew on the last formal night. Pictures with the Captain were available at the end. The top 3 couples with the most PCL cruise days were recognized with gifts, and there were a few door prize drawings. It was very nice, and it was held in the Club Fusion Lounge. The lounge was probably only 2/3 full, so it wasn't crowded. Free drinks/appetizers of course!

This Captains cocktail party is different than the most traveled passenger gathering. The most traveled passenger event is for the 40 passengers with the most cruise days. On sailings with several sea days a luncheon is held for this group. Because Alaska is so port intensive they did a cocktail party for them instead. It was held on a different night than the Captains party.

Edited by idahospud

I just got off that cruise today actually. :p Anyways, I'm pretty sure Toby, Matt, and Aaron are all from England. I wish I knew their last names, but sadly I don't.

Nor do I. The last names on the name badges were in very tiny print I believe. They were all wonderful though!

I just took this same cruise on the Ruby 6/5-6/12 and just wanted to share that we were also diverted into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm due to the excessive ice. Endicott Arm was still beautiful & we got nice & close to the Dawes glacier with the captain spinning the boat a full 360 so that everybody got a nice view at the end. And on the way back out a bear was spotted on the shoreline!

The weather was beautiful our entire voyage & we even had a crazy warm 77 degrees in Skagway!

I just took this same cruise on the Ruby 6/5-6/12 and just wanted to share that we were also diverted into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm due to the excessive ice. Endicott Arm was still beautiful & we got nice & close to the Dawes glacier with the captain spinning the boat a full 360 so that everybody got a nice view at the end. And on the way back out a bear was spotted on the shoreline!

The weather was beautiful our entire voyage & we even had a crazy warm 77 degrees in Skagway!

I'm glad you had nice weather also! You got closer to the glacier than we did. I hope SOMEONE gets into Tracy Arm this summer!:eek:

I just took this same cruise on the Ruby 6/5-6/12 and just wanted to share that we were also diverted into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm due to the excessive ice.

I count ourselves as being lucky that our Tracy Arm portion wasn't cancelled (Ruby May 22-29). The cruise a couple of weeks before ours was also diverted to Endicott Arm as well. Our tour guide on our Tracy Arm excursion said that this is common during the early months of cruising season due to larger portions of the glacier calving off more often. Can't control nature - just admire and respect it.