Nervous Nellie - 5/29 Carnival Victory

Cruising on Victory 5/29. Nerves are getting best of me. I have some few questions and I wanted to make sure I was doing things right. Yes my first time too.

Birth Certificates. My understanding is that they can be copies and don't need originals. Is that correct.

Do you prefer using cash or gift cards. I have been warned about using debit cards. What are your opinions on that.

carry on 12 packs colas or just buy the drink special 27.00. Does this include gatorade or powerade?

Any thing that would be something good to know. I have never been on a cruise and getting nervous. Wanted to make sure we have everything correct and don't want to miss out on something you may know about.

:D:D:D

Cruising on Victory 5/29. Nerves are getting best of me. I have some few questions and I wanted to make sure I was doing things right. Yes my first time too.

Birth Certificates. My understanding is that they can be copies and don't need originals. Is that correct.

Do you prefer using cash or gift cards. I have been warned about using debit cards. What are your opinions on that.

carry on 12 packs colas or just buy the drink special 27.00. Does this include gatorade or powerade?

Any thing that would be something good to know. I have never been on a cruise and getting nervous. Wanted to make sure we have everything correct and don't want to miss out on something you may know about.

:D:D:D

It says on their website that a legible copy of the BC is acceptable. Even if its laminated. With that said, if at all possible, I would definitely take the "original". If you dont have the original, be prepared to show them on their own website from a smart phone or tablet where it says a clear legible copy is acceptable. Chances are you will be ok but you just never know. Some will insist you HAVE to have an original with a "raised seal" on it. Clearly, according to Carnivals own rules, that is not true. Not to mention, many states no longer have a "raised seal".

If you have a cruise account or special account set up with a debit card and have about double the money you plan on spending in the account, a debit card would probably be ok. There is NO WAY I would use a debit card from my primary checking account though. Holds and pre auths can mess you up for days. I REALLY like how Carnival gift cards work!

Bottomless Bubbles package will not included powerade. Only sodas and juices I believe.

Try not and worry too much. This is supposed to be a fun time :) Everything will be ok!

Edited by ryano

Take the copy you received from the government. We received 'certified copies' of our BCs from our county. The county keeps the original.

The wording 'copy' is not clear enough for me to be confident enough to just take a Xerox copy. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only way you are going to be 100% at peace with the BC thing is to just go ahead and get the official ones. Pretty sure you can do this for almost all states online now for a nominal fee (like $20). Depending on the state, the turnaround is pretty quick too. If you live where you were born, you can do it in person. Whatever the courthouse gives you is going to be Official.

If you don't do that, or at least I would be this way, you are going to have that little nagging doubt in your mind disrupting the fun of planning. Just take care of it and be done :)

The rule was "original or certified copy" but I do see where it says: "a legible copy of a birth certificate originally issued by a government agency or the department of health and vital statistics" AND "the copy doesn't need to be notarized or certified". [emoji848]

So, does the copy NEED to come from an official agency or department, or can you make a copy on your home printer of a certified or original birth certificate?

Even with what the Carnival website says, remember that the final authority is not Carnival, but US Customs and Immigration. If they decide that your documentation is not appropriate, they will deny boarding. As others recommended, I would highly suggest getting a new certified birth certificate from the Dept of Health and Vital Statistics. One less thing to worry about on cruise day!