Just finished Baltic Cruise. A few thoughts

Took the Holland America 12 day cruise.

Copenhagen. We had bought a 2 day train pass prior to arrival. The 48 hour pass included the train from the airport to downtown. We stayed in a hotel near the train station, so was easy to get around. Be very careful with the bike lanes. Very. Tivoli park, which was the inspiration for Disney Land is right next to the train station. Didn't go. Mostly for locals, and the young... Went on the HoHo bus and boat tours. We got off the HoHo at the Rosenborg Castle. Christian IV was one strange dude. Plan on 2-3 hours, well worth the time. Wife really enjoyed the Round Tower, as she loves horses. Ate at the Riz Raz. Best food on the trip, if you enjoy Mediterranean cuisine.

First port Warnemunde. Bought a 24 hour pass for the train prior to leaving the states. 32Euro for 4 people (Download the DB ap for your phone) During the week, this begins at 9am. Turn left when off the boat and walk to the next station. About 10 min. Take tunnel under the road, go to bus stop beside station. Buy ticket to Bad Doberan. About 2euro. Bus 119. (Normally, your 24 hr pass covers this, but not until 9am, and you will be there before that.) Get off in Bad Doberan at the train station. Take the Molli train, scenic narrow gauge railway. Separate ticket, from the DB train, about 15 euro. We got off a time or two, then back to Bad Doberan. The train is timed to arrive when the DB train to Rostock arrives. Went to Rostock for a few hours. Took the tram into the city center. (the 24hr pass covers this) Shopped, saw the sights. I went to the Stasi museum. Wife shopped. Took the tram back to the station, then the train back to Warnemunde to the ship. Whole day costs less than 30 euros per person. Plus shopping... Great day.

Tallinn, Estonia. Didn't know much about it, but was one of our favorite stops. Walked to old town. Took the hot air balloon for the view. We were a group of 8, and most just walked into old town. Wife has a bad knee, so hired a bicycle 'rickshaw' to take us to the McDonalds at the Viru gate. Which is closest to the local artisan and craft section of old town. 15 euro each way. So, the total for 2 was 30 euro for the day, plus shopping.

St Petersburg. Used SPB tours, private tour for 8, plus added on an evening at the Fabrege museum. Made for a long first day, but you only are there once, so see it all. Incredible sights. Wouldn't want to live there.

Helsinki. Used SPB tours again. Enjoyable, relaxing stop.

Stockholm. Incredible beauty going the 65 miles thru the archipelago of islands to get to Stockholm. Used SPB tours again, but would not do that if I went again. The HoHo's are right where the cruise ship docks. Take to Vasa Museum, 1-2 hours. Then back on the HoHo to Skansen, for a couple hours, then back on the HoHo to old town for some shopping, then back to the ship. The changing of the guard in old town at noon is highly variable. Sometimes, has band, maybe horses, marching. Our day only was 3 guys marching by, so not worth it. Everyone in Sweden, it seems, speaks better English than we do, so no problem doing stuff on your own.

Keil. Bought a 24h pass on the DB train, using the iPhone DB ap. $32 for 4 people. Took a taxi from the ship to the train station. 6 euro for 4 people. Took the train to Lubeck. Easy walk to the the Lubech main gate into old town. (Angle to the left when exiting the station) We took the HoHo bus and boat tour. Some in our group of 8 just walked the streets in the old town. You will be in mostly German speaking town, and mostly Germans visiting, so the town is not set up for English as much as other ports. Only language on the HoHo boats and buses is German, so we mainly just enjoyed the sights. Really neat puppet museum near the main gate. Total cost for the day, about 8 euros per person for the train, plus shopping and eats. About 20 euro for boat and bus HoHo if you do that

(The 24 hour DB train passes start at 9am during the week. So, if you get on a train or bus before 9, you need to buy an additional ticket for the first leg. On the weekend, they start at 6, so no need to worry about leaving at 8am.)

Gothenburg. We took a private tour and went to Marstrand. Really beautiful town. Eat at Arnell's restaurant in Marstrand. Great soup. Great. Also had fresh rhubarb pie with ice cream. Great.

Helsingborg. Tendered into town, as ship out in the middle of the harbor. There are college girls spread around town, specifically there to help the 'lost tourists.' Very helpful. We bought a bus ticket for about 40 kroner, with help from the college girls, to Sofiero Castle. This was most definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Not to be missed. Entrance fee 100 kroner, about $15. So the day was about $20 per person, plus shopping. Sofiero opens at 10, so no need to get there real early. Takes about 15 min on the bus to get there. We stayed about 3 hours, then bus back to town. Shopped. Ate. Then a bad storm, so tenders unable to get back to boat. Holland America arranged for buses for those that were stranded, which took us to the dock in Copenhagen. So, cost of the day was about $20 per person, plus shopping....

Took the Holland America 12

First port Warnemunde. Bought a 24 hour pass for the train prior to leaving the states. 32Euro for 4 people (Download the DB ap for your phone) During the week, this begins at 9am. Turn left when off the boat and walk to the next station. About 10 min. Take tunnel under the road, go to bus stop beside station. Buy ticket to Bad Doberan. About 2euro. Bus 119. (Normally, your 24 hr pass covers this, but not until 9am, and you will be there before that.) Get off in Bad Doberan at the train station. Take the Molli train, scenic narrow gauge railway. Separate ticket, from the DB train, about 15 euro. We got off a time or two, then back to Bad Doberan. The train is timed to arrive when the DB train to Rostock arrives. Went to Rostock for a few hours. Took the tram into the city center. (the 24hr pass covers this) Shopped, saw the sights. I went to the Stasi museum. Wife shopped. Took the tram back to the station, then the train back to Warnemunde to the ship. Whole day costs less than 30 euros per person

Hi, I am happy to hear you had such a great day but I am afraid you bought the wrong ticket and it could have cost you a 40€ fine each had an inspector got on to the tram.

The ticket which you bought in advance from the DB app is for the s-Bahn, RE and RB (red) trains in the whole of Mecklenburg, just like the one you used in Kiel is for the whole of Schleswig-Holstein. It does not cover buses or trams.

The correct ticket for the day you describe is the local transport or VVW Group Day Ticket-3 zones, costing 24€ for up to 5 people. This covers the s-Bahn trains, buses and trams in the Rostock area, including Bad Doberan, from 3am on the day you buy it to 3am the next day. You must validate it on the train platform, bus or tram when you start your first journey. This ticket cannot be bought in advance, it must be bought from a ticket machine or from an office. For all the details in English see

http://www.verkehrsverbund-warnow.de/tickets-fares

or the 'how to buy tickets' page on my website.

However, you got away with it and had a good day so that is what counts. This is just a heads up for anyone else taking the same day out.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

If you have time, I'd love to hear about the food on board. I am curious if there are local dishes added to the menu in MDR, mostly.

Not sure, as we only ate in the main dining room a couple times. Food seemed the same as all the other cruises we have been on. We're vegetarian though, so the menu for vegetarians was always the same. We usually ate in the Lido buffet.

OP thanks so much for posting. We will be doing something similar next year in some of the ports you are visiting, particularly Warnemunde, and very much looking forward to it.

Travelanni ... the ticket that you are talking about is the one that can be bought from a machine at the stop where you catch the #119 bus, right?

Thanks again.

If you have time, I'd love to hear about the food on board. I am curious if there are local dishes added to the menu in MDR, mostly.

We did a Baltic Cruise last summer on HAL. There were no local dishes added to the MDR menu, but there was a German food and music festival on the evening we were in Warnemuende. It was a lot of fun!

Interesting. Maybe we just looked pitiful, as bus drivers and inspectors checked our tickets several times. Scanned my phone ticket, and verified my credit card, and they never said anything.

Surprised to hear that the ticket was checked several times as the only section on which tickets are routinely checked is the RB train between Bad Doberan and Rostock where the ticket seller/inspector is part of the train crew. Both types of ticket are valid on this train so the scanned Lander ticket in conjunction with a credit card would have been OK.

On the other sections (bus, tram and s-bahn) where there is only a driver, the 'trust' system operates. Tickets are randomly checked by roving inspectors working in two's and three's, dressed like ordinary members of the public, who hop on and off anywhere and you are only aware of their presence when they hold up their ID and say 'Fahrschine, bitte'. The driver then does not release the doors until they have inspected every ticket. Sneaky:rolleyes:! And they are tough too, I speak from bitter experience as they fined me 40€ for simply failing to validate my ticket.

Anni

Travelanni ... the ticket that you are talking about is the one that can be bought from a machine at the stop where you catch the #119 bus, right?

Thanks again.

Yes, you have it ! The driver will not ask you for the ticket but please remember to validate it in the yellow box inside the bus when you get on. You need only do this once, it is then OK for the rest of the day.

The fine for failure to do so should it be inspected is 40€ per person and that could really ruin your day :(

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you for posting. Can you share which hotel you used in Copenhagen?

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal next to the central train station. About $400 per night. Included breakfast, which was great. Others in our group stayed at the Scandic Palace. The Scandic Palace is just a little further to the train station, but is closer to the shopping streets. The HoHo's stop by each one. Pricing is never what you think. Will say $250 or so, but that is before tax, which was $100-$150 per night.

We took the train, luggage and all, to the central station, then walked to the Blu, about 2 blocks.

Taxi from the Blu to the ship was 300 kroner for a taxi that held 8 people. Probably less for a regular size. About $45, so about $6 USD per person.

My daughter is vegetarian and was pleased to hear about a separate vegetarian menu...she doesn't enjoy eggplant and on our last Mediterranean cruise it appeared a lot on the menu. We would love to hear about any stand outs and what you like in the Lido. She loves the Asian food station in the Lido (she doesn't fret about things like oyster sauce) and the Indian spiced veg cutlet in MDR.

I understand one needs to order ahead with the vegetarian menu.

Again, thanks.

Interesting comments and timely for us. I believe our ship, the Regal Princess, is too large to sail into the city of Stockholm and will be quite a ways out of town so our plan to see the Vasa Museum will be relegated to taking the ship tour of that museum and then "on our own" for the balance of the day and their bus ride back to the ship so the HOHO won't work for us.

Took the Holland America 12 day cruise.

Copenhagen. We had bought a 2 day train pass prior to arrival. The 48 hour pass included the train from the airport to downtown. We stayed in a hotel near the train station, so was easy to get around. Be very careful with the bike lanes. Very. Tivoli park, which was the inspiration for Disney Land is right next to the train station. Didn't go. Mostly for locals, and the young... Went on the HoHo bus and boat tours. We got off the HoHo at the Rosenborg Castle. Christian IV was one strange dude. Plan on 2-3 hours, well worth the time. Wife really enjoyed the Round Tower, as she loves horses. Ate at the Riz Raz. Best food on the trip, if you enjoy Mediterranean cuisine.

First port Warnemunde. Bought a 24 hour pass for the train prior to leaving the states. 32Euro for 4 people (Download the DB ap for your phone) During the week, this begins at 9am. Turn left when off the boat and walk to the next station. About 10 min. Take tunnel under the road, go to bus stop beside station. Buy ticket to Bad Doberan. About 2euro. Bus 119. (Normally, your 24 hr pass covers this, but not until 9am, and you will be there before that.) Get off in Bad Doberan at the train station. Take the Molli train, scenic narrow gauge railway. Separate ticket, from the DB train, about 15 euro. We got off a time or two, then back to Bad Doberan. The train is timed to arrive when the DB train to Rostock arrives. Went to Rostock for a few hours. Took the tram into the city center. (the 24hr pass covers this) Shopped, saw the sights. I went to the Stasi museum. Wife shopped. Took the tram back to the station, then the train back to Warnemunde to the ship. Whole day costs less than 30 euros per person. Plus shopping... Great day.

Tallinn, Estonia. Didn't know much about it, but was one of our favorite stops. Walked to old town. Took the hot air balloon for the view. We were a group of 8, and most just walked into old town. Wife has a bad knee, so hired a bicycle 'rickshaw' to take us to the McDonalds at the Viru gate. Which is closest to the local artisan and craft section of old town. 15 euro each way. So, the total for 2 was 30 euro for the day, plus shopping.

St Petersburg. Used SPB tours, private tour for 8, plus added on an evening at the Fabrege museum. Made for a long first day, but you only are there once, so see it all. Incredible sights. Wouldn't want to live there.

Helsinki. Used SPB tours again. Enjoyable, relaxing stop.

Stockholm. Incredible beauty going the 65 miles thru the archipelago of islands to get to Stockholm. Used SPB tours again, but would not do that if I went again. The HoHo's are right where the cruise ship docks. Take to Vasa Museum, 1-2 hours. Then back on the HoHo to Skansen, for a couple hours, then back on the HoHo to old town for some shopping, then back to the ship. The changing of the guard in old town at noon is highly variable. Sometimes, has band, maybe horses, marching. Our day only was 3 guys marching by, so not worth it. Everyone in Sweden, it seems, speaks better English than we do, so no problem doing stuff on your own.

Keil. Bought a 24h pass on the DB train, using the iPhone DB ap. $32 for 4 people. Took a taxi from the ship to the train station. 6 euro for 4 people. Took the train to Lubeck. Easy walk to the the Lubech main gate into old town. (Angle to the left when exiting the station) We took the HoHo bus and boat tour. Some in our group of 8 just walked the streets in the old town. You will be in mostly German speaking town, and mostly Germans visiting, so the town is not set up for English as much as other ports. Only language on the HoHo boats and buses is German, so we mainly just enjoyed the sights. Really neat puppet museum near the main gate. Total cost for the day, about 8 euros per person for the train, plus shopping and eats. About 20 euro for boat and bus HoHo if you do that

(The 24 hour DB train passes start at 9am during the week. So, if you get on a train or bus before 9, you need to buy an additional ticket for the first leg. On the weekend, they start at 6, so no need to worry about leaving at 8am.)

Gothenburg. We took a private tour and went to Marstrand. Really beautiful town. Eat at Arnell's restaurant in Marstrand. Great soup. Great. Also had fresh rhubarb pie with ice cream. Great.

Helsingborg. Tendered into town, as ship out in the middle of the harbor. There are college girls spread around town, specifically there to help the 'lost tourists.' Very helpful. We bought a bus ticket for about 40 kroner, with help from the college girls, to Sofiero Castle. This was most definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Not to be missed. Entrance fee 100 kroner, about $15. So the day was about $20 per person, plus shopping. Sofiero opens at 10, so no need to get there real early. Takes about 15 min on the bus to get there. We stayed about 3 hours, then bus back to town. Shopped. Ate. Then a bad storm, so tenders unable to get back to boat. Holland America arranged for buses for those that were stranded, which took us to the dock in Copenhagen. So, cost of the day was about $20 per person, plus shopping....

Excellent info, thank you. We are heading to the Baltic and the North Cape on the 2nd June and this info is very useful.

Interesting comments and timely for us. I believe our ship, the Regal Princess, is too large to sail into the city of Stockholm and will be quite a ways out of town so our plan to see the Vasa Museum will be relegated to taking the ship tour of that museum and then "on our own" for the balance of the day and their bus ride back to the ship so the HOHO won't work for us.

It is not, some of the calls are scheduled to be in central Stockholm although some calls originally scheduled for central Stockholm seems to have been re-scheduled to Nynäshamn.

Thanks for the great review. We will be in many of these same ports via the Zuiderdam soon. I assume you were on that same ship. If so could you please let me know if the ship offered any shuttles to the town center of any of these ports (Gothenburg, Helsinki, or Tallin?)

Also I see you took a taxi in Keil to the train station. From what I have seen on maps of the area I thought it may be walkable to get to the train station. Is that not true?

Thanks so much for all this great information

Thanks for the great review. We will be in many of these same ports via the Zuiderdam soon. I assume you were on that same ship. If so could you please let me know if the ship offered any shuttles to the town center of any of these ports (Gothenburg, Helsinki, or Tallin?)

Also I see you took a taxi in Keil to the train station. From what I have seen on maps of the area I thought it may be walkable to get to the train station. Is that not true?

We were in all of these ports except for Gothenburg on the HAL Eurodam last summer. The ship did not offer shuttles to the town centers of Helsinki or Tallinn.

Helsinki: We took the tram in Helsinki from just outside the port gates to the main train station and then walked to Market Square (about a 15 minute walk). An all-day tram ticket costs only 8€.

Tallinn--The city center is easily reached by walking. Just head from the port toward the huge round tower called "Fat Margaret" and you are on the edge of Tallinn (15 minutes). Then it's a scenic walk on cobblestone streets to the city center (5-10 minutes).

Kiel--The train station is, indeed, walkable from the port. We did it in about 15-20 minutes.

Great Review, thanks. I am leaving for a Baltic cruise 5 weeks from today. Just curious why you didn't like SPB tours in Stockholm? We have booked a tour with them for St. Petersburg and Stockholm. The rest of the ports we are doing DIY. Thanks.

Great Review, thanks. I am leaving for a Baltic cruise 5 weeks from today. Just curious why you didn't like SPB tours in Stockholm? We have booked a tour with them for St. Petersburg and Stockholm.

The rest of the ports we are doing DIY. Thanks.

My impression is that LDCKentucky didn't dislike spb.

It's just that Stockholm is very DIY friendly so there is not really a need to go on a organized tour unless you have specific needs or etc.

Edited by Desdichado62

Anything is walkable.... Seemed like a mile or two. Taxi was 6 euro for 4 people, so less than $2 pp. As far as shuttles, we did not ever take any. I can't remember any anouncement about shuttles.

In Tallin, you can see the main gate from the boat. There are taxi's if your knees are bad. In Gothenburg, you are quite a long way, maybe 1/2 mile+ from the trolley. We took a private tour, but had to walk the last mile to the boat as there was a mother of all traffic jams. The ship left over 30 min late, as their own tours could not get back to the ship. Small roads, lots of traffic, construction.

Edited by LDCKentucky

Great Review, thanks. I am leaving for a Baltic cruise 5 weeks from today. Just curious why you didn't like SPB tours in Stockholm? We have booked a tour with them for St. Petersburg and Stockholm. The rest of the ports we are doing DIY. Thanks.

No problem with SPB tours. They were great. You get lots of local information that way from the local guides. As was mentioned in another post, we just felt Stockholm would have been very 'user friendly' to do it ourself. SBP tours was done by 2pm, and the ship didn't leave until 5. We then payed extra ($80 per person) for 2 hours extra.