Just finished Baltic Cruise. A few thoughts

I found some more info on Gothenburg berth transports: http://www.goteborg.com/en/good-to-know/cruise-information/

http://www.goteborg.com/en/cruise-tourism/

The Cruise Calls 2016 pdf link does not work so no point in clicking on it.

Thanks for your information, again.

It's very helpful!

I don't know why I didn't think of just Google??? I went on TripAdvisor, Rick Steve's and here, it's great that I got all the information I need!

Happy travel :)

We are not docking at "ocean cay" in Stockholm because that's in Copenhagen. We are, however, docking at the distant location which is 45 minutes away from the city.

I was wondering what ship you are on as I am trying to find out where we are docked on the Zuiderdam in about a month and wanted to make sure it was not our ship as that would be a terrible thing to happen when only there one day.

Thanks

Sorry I didn't reference the ship. She is the Regal Princess and is shown in my signature.

I still feel that, although it would be a great sight sailing directly into Stockholm, it means cutting out a lot of time that could be used in exploring the city. By docking outside the city we only need 45 minutes on the shuttle to get to the city rather than the hours used in cruising in the archipelago from what I've heard.

• 4 months later...

So to clarify you all took the same taxi fCopenhagen to port) for about $45? Could you do public transportation?

In Russia the tour was it flexible and just your group? Would you mind giving me an approximate cost? Did they take care of your visas?

We are thinking of a cruise in June or September and there will be 6 adults and an infant so I think it's best we are the only ones in a group as the baby may distract or interrupt the schedule.

Also are wanting to watch the budget (as I'm paying ) but want to see stuff to.

In Warnemunde and Estonia is there much in scenery, hiking etc or anything that a young active family would be interested in besides shopping?

Thanks for any tips!

So to clarify you all took the same taxi fCopenhagen to port) for about $45? Could you do public transportation?

In Russia the tour was it flexible and just your group? Would you mind giving me an approximate cost? Did they take care of your visas?

We are thinking of a cruise in June or September and there will be 6 adults and an infant so I think it's best we are the only ones in a group as the baby may distract or interrupt the schedule.

Also are wanting to watch the budget (as I'm paying ) but want to see stuff to.

In Warnemunde and Estonia is there much in scenery, hiking etc or anything that a young active family would be interested in besides shopping?

Thanks for any tips!

Pardon me for jumping in ). With an infant you certainly should book a private tour for just your group as most folks do not want to be around infants (on tour) and there must be some considerations for an infant. There are many excellent tour companies in St Petersburg (several mentioned on this board) and they all provide similar services which include transportation, English speaking guide, driver, and visas. Not sure how Russian visas work with an infant

Warnamunde has grown into a cute tiny village (we are talking about the area close to the piers), but the main scenery around the port (besides the village) would be the sand and water. But most folks use this port as a Gateway port to other places such as Berlin (a very long day). Or one could simple use the trains to go over to Rostock and explore that larger city or perhaps go to Molli Railroad and explore some of the towns along that steam railroad line.

As to Estonia, the city is the highlight and most simply explored on foot. To be very candid, very few folks would even think of doing this itinerary with an infant. In fact, we have seen relatively few young children on our Baltic Cruises...but attribute much of that to the fact we have used HAL for those trips.

Hank

I am looking for a private tour just for us as I do realize others may prefer not to be around an infant. As far as the cruise I think she will be fine. Put her in a baby carrier or stroller most babies enjoy just looking around and don't need to be entertained. We always took our children on vacations and will now start with the grandbaby.

I loved Tallinn. We did a food walking tour that was not too pricy. If you don't wish to spend really any money, I've heard the Rick Steves walking tour is good. Plan on wearing the infant. The cobblestones in the street there are the worst I've ever seen. I'm certain a stroller would be impossible.

Thanks so much for the review. In particular the news that you can do the Faberge Museum as a night tour and the hot air balloon ride in Tallinn. We are in the beginning of the planning stages so I'm researching the ports and any information is welcome. :):):)

Can you tell me how/with whom you booked a hot air balloon ride? We will be in Tallin next September and that sounds like a fun excursion to try. Thanks for any info you can provide :)

I loved Tallinn. We did a food walking tour that was not too pricy. If you don't wish to spend really any money, I've heard the Rick Steves walking tour is good. Plan on wearing the infant. The cobblestones in the street there are the worst I've ever seen. I'm certain a stroller would be impossible.

Can you tell me where I can find info on this tour? Thanks!:)

https://www.amazon.com/Steves-Northern-European-Cruise-Ports/dp/1612385893

There are detailed descriptions of bus lines, tourist info, walking tours ("walk 2 blocks then turn left at XX, stop and see the green building across the street. It was important because xx." I totally made that up, but that's the gist of it!)

Just remeber though that public transport sometimes changes it's lines' numbers and routes and etc which makes the info in the books obsolete.

There might also be other permanent or temporary changes that is not mentioned in the books.

I have not read his guides but I would still like to recommend to double check the info about public with each company before going on the cruise

and not rely solely on the guide books for info about public transport.

This book is from 2013 and for instance Stockholm public transport made a larger change to their bus network last summer although most of the relevant route didn't change.

Always a good point! I can't modify my post, but here is a link to the Oct, 2015 version of the book. I didn't check the pub date on the last one.

https://www.amazon.com/Steves-Northern-European-Cruise-Ports/dp/1631210599/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

While the bus lines can change, I'd say walking tours to landmarks are probably static barring construction and the like. For instance, Copenhagen was FULL of construction while we were there. We were told it was because election were coming up (political posters were all over) and the politicians were garnering support by increasing public works funds."