Can you bring candles on the ship?

brownieboy

Curling irons and hot rollers don't put the strain on the electrical system... matches are not a constant open flame, cigarettes are not an open flame and can extinguish themselves with the bedding/carpeting in the rooms if they were to be dropped. You are on a ship, that is moving, and rocking constantly... NOT a good scenario for a candle...which is a constant open flame. I'm not sure how anyone could be puzzled by that logic. Open flame + rocking ship = disaster.

Okay, thanks for your perspective on the candles with the open flames. You are right about that.

Now, care to explain the logic behind why heating pads and irons are no-no's? They don't put a significantly greater "strain on the electrical system" than curling irons and hot rollers, at least according to my electrician cousin. They don't have an open flame. But we are not trusted to use them.

And your comment on lit cigarettes etc, that they can "extinguish themselves with the bedding/carpeting in the rooms if they were to be dropped" is very optimistic. C'mon! Lets keep it real. Those scenarios are a fire hazard too.

My point is that Carnival's policy regarding heat producing appliances and other potential fire hazards is inconsistent. Once again, though, I must say: Your point on those flaming candles is valid. Peace and happy cruising!

Okay, thanks for your perspective on the candles with the open flames. You are right about that.

Now, care to explain the logic behind why heating pads and irons are no-no's? They don't put a significantly greater "strain on the electrical system" than curling irons and hot rollers, at least according to my electrician cousin. They don't have an open flame. But we are not trusted to use them.

And your comment on lit cigarettes etc, that they can "extinguish themselves with the bedding/carpeting in the rooms if they were to be dropped" is very optimistic. C'mon! Lets keep it real. Those scenarios are a fire hazard too.

My point is that Carnival's policy regarding heat producing appliances and other potential fire hazards is inconsistent. Once again, though, I must say: Your point on those flaming candles is valid. Peace and happy cruising!

How familiar is your electrician cousin with the wiring and currents on a cruise ship? Heating pads can indeed cause fires, and most don't shut off automatically. Someone here a few months ago explained about the electrical strain on the system caused by irons... Most fires on ships are electrical, so there is a reason behind it. It's not like they make money on this, they have laundry rooms you can do this, it is a safety precaution.

Is your electrician cousin also familiar with the bedding on cruise ships and hotels too? :p (just kidding!!!!!! ) If it was a hazard, you can believe they would not be allowed... period. They are not going to put people's lives at risk. You may see cigarette burns on comforters, carpeting, etc... but none of those burst into flames. Flame retardency is a good thing...

It is only inconsistent if you are familiar with the wiring, etc. on a cruise ship... they have to keep their passengers safe, and they have determined that certain items could potentially hinder that safety. That should be enough for anyone...

How familiar is your electrician cousin with the wiring and currents on a cruise ship? Heating pads can indeed cause fires, and most don't shut off automatically. Someone here a few months ago explained about the electrical strain on the system caused by irons... Most fires on ships are electrical, so there is a reason behind it. It's not like they make money on this, they have laundry rooms you can do this, it is a safety precaution.

Is your electrician cousin also familiar with the bedding on cruise ships and hotels too? :p (just kidding!!!!!! ) If it was a hazard, you can believe they would not be allowed... period. They are not going to put people's lives at risk. You may see cigarette burns on comforters, carpeting, etc... but none of those burst into flames. Flame retardency is a good thing...

It is only inconsistent if you are familiar with the wiring, etc. on a cruise ship... they have to keep their passengers safe, and they have determined that certain items could potentially hinder that safety. That should be enough for anyone...

1. Carnival's poicy says NOTHING about heat producing hair styling appliances being required to have automatic shutoff to be allowed onboard.:confused:

2. My heating pad DOES shut off automatically (it has a timer), but it is still disallowed.:confused:

3. Yes, flame retardant capabilities are a good thing, but I hope you will agree that "flame retardant" and "flame-proof" are two different things. I wouldn't want a fellow passenger who's had a few too many ;) frou-frou drinks, perhaps, using that extension cord we've all been told to bring, leaving a plugged-in curling iron on their bed or floor! :eek:

4. I hope everyone reading our posts on this subject will take from them an awareness that ANY heat producing items must be monitored very carefully and used with the utmost caution.

5. And, I must reiterate: Do follow Carnival's policy, whether you find it consistent, inconsistent, logical, or illogical! But, gol' darn it, I'm still gonna stand by my opinion that it is inconsistent. That is my final answer, Regis!

Thank you for the spirited debate, GoinCruisin!

Patty in Texas

Patty, you don't have to have an auto shut off on anything to bring it... I was just saying that heating pads are notorious for causing problems.... and many of them don't have auto shutoff. There is apparently a reason for them not being allowed, but I don't know about the ships electrical system, so I can't tell you exactly why.

Sure, flame proof and retardent are different things. But, when was the last time you heard about a major fire on a ship started by a cigarette??

Also, back in the day, there were many times I left a plugged in curling iron on, all day, on the floor... never had anything burst into flames thank goodness!!!

And yes, everyone should be careful about ANY heat producing item... especially on a cruise ship :eek:

Have a great night!!!

Okay, everyone has expressed their view regarding electrical appliances and heat producing items.

I still do not understand why a candle, which is bought in port, and never intended to be lit on the ship (some people don't even light them at home) would be a problem.

Okay, everyone has expressed their view regarding electrical appliances and heat producing items.

I still do not understand why a candle, which is bought in port, and never intended to be lit on the ship (some people don't even light them at home) would be a problem.

By that logic, I should be able to take on liquor, bought in port, and not be questioned :D They don't know if I am drinking it on the ship ;) Same with candles. When it comes to safety, they can't just take someone's word for it that they won't be using them... then everyone will bring candles on and say they aren't going to use them. A line has to be drawn...

I guess that I need to tell that hotel owner that we spent 4 hours fighting his place because it was burning that the material that he was purchasing from the same place all other hotels did was not doing it's job. Because I can tell you that we worked our rears off getting under control in those 4 hours and the 14 we spent after it just to watch it. When the fire investigator came he said it was caused by a burning cigarette. Not to mention the homes we have worked because of cig's or the people we have pulled out dead because of cig's. Granted I wouldn't want to be on a ship when something like this happened but NOTHING is burn proof and will extinguish a cig by it's self someone or something had to help it go out.;)

I guess that I need to tell that hotel owner that we spent 4 hours fighting his place because it was burning that the material that he was purchasing from the same place all other hotels did was not doing it's job. Because I can tell you that we worked our rears off getting under control in those 4 hours and the 14 we spent after it just to watch it. When the fire investigator came he said it was caused by a burning cigarette. Not to mention the homes we have worked because of cig's or the people we have pulled out dead because of cig's. Granted I wouldn't want to be on a ship when something like this happened but NOTHING is burn proof and will extinguish a cig by it's self someone or something had to help it go out.;)

Not all hotels have flame retardent bedding, the nicer hotels do, or should. Those that are privately run probably get away with it. Most people for their homes don't look for flame retardent/prood bedding (but since we are talking about cruise ships...) but most chain and upscale hotels DO use it... and yes, this material does smolder a cigarette... it melts and smolders the cigarette, leaving a nasty hole, but not igniting into flames.

By that logic, I should be able to take on liquor, bought in port, and not be questioned :D They don't know if I am drinking it on the ship ;) Same with candles. When it comes to safety, they can't just take someone's word for it that they won't be using them... then everyone will bring candles on and say they aren't going to use them. A line has to be drawn...

The post below said the candles would be taken and not returned. Liquor is returned. Also, following your logic, no matches or lighters should be allowed, yet they let people have those. The same with knives. I have brough knives on board and not been questioned.

The post below said the candles would be taken and not returned. Liquor is returned. Also, following your logic, no matches or lighters should be allowed, yet they let people have those. The same with knives. I have brough knives on board and not been questioned.

Following my logic? I was speaking of candles, which Carnival says are not allowed. I have not found where they say matches or lighters are not allowed??? :confused: They let people have them, because they are allowed.

As far as knives, you are not supposed to bring weapons on the ship... I am surprised that you have not had them taken away. And that is also very concerning as I know others have talked about having knives taken away...

I have not heard about candles being taken away and not returned. If you are going to take the word of one person, on a message board... well then. Probably just like lighters in the airport, knives, etc. If you want to keep them, you can arranged to have them shipped to your home... I am confused why anyone would question it, as to it being returned. If you try to board the ship with something that your contract specifically states not to bring, and they find it, you should have it taken away. I certainly wouldn't complain about it. i know the rules... and I know the consequences.

Interestingly enough, 2 years ago, our (then 11 year old) son bought a small painted/decorated baseball bat and slingshot while at the port in Cozumel (at Los Cinco Soles). When we re-boarded the ship they quickly snatched that bag from us as we went through security. You should have seen the look on his face...

I mean REALLY.... an 11 year old is going to take over the ship with a souvenir bat and slingshot.. :rolleyes: (or we were just using him as a MULE, and were going to use them ourselves...LMAO)

Well, at any rate, we did get those items back after we were off the ship!

On a similar note, on our last cruise (Miracle) we wanted to purchase a set of the (supper club) steak knives from the formalities shop. They said we would need to pick them up the morning of debarkation from the purser. We opted not to get them, as that line can be LONG. Those are SERIOUS knives (for the true carnivore:D ) and I can see where they could pose a RISK!

Tom

While we were on the Fantasy (10/9-10/13), we were explicitly told that if we bought candles in another port, that they would be confiscated...they also have a new rule which bans any type of toy guns, knives,etc from being brought onboard the ship from a port....they will not only confiscate them, but they also will not return them

Let me clarify the post above...I was speaking strictly about the toy weapons being confiscated and not returned...Although I am 100% sure that the candles will be confiscated, I am NOT sure if they would be returned at the end of the cruise or not...

Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding with my original post...I plead PCD

The cruise lines do allow small knives, which is what I bring aboard. It is always in my check baggage (since I have to check it at the airport). Also, I have no interest in bringing a candle on board, nor am I interested in buying one. I did not take one person's word. Since I have no interest in it, I have not done any research into the issue. However, the poster did says that they were specifically warned about candles. If the poster says that happened, without any conflicting information, I have no reason to doubt what the poster said (though I see a clarification below).

That said, the logic I was referring to is, a wax candle by itself is not dangerous. If the cruise line is concerned that I might light it, I understand that. But then a lighter or a match is dangerous by itself. Both have only one purpose - to create a fire. Thus my question about logic. Why is something, that by itself safe banned while a match or a lighter, which is far more dangerous by itself allowed?

My statement referring to "your logic" was a bad choice of words. I should not have used the word your. My mistake.

hmmm........... if they are that sensitive, why do they not constantly go off when people SMOKE in the cabins?

Sounds like a ship scare tactic to me - though I am NOT advocating burning candles on a ship!!!

Tom

Last year on an Alaska cruise, one of the smoke detectors in my cabin went off when I was standing under it smoking a cigarette. I avoided that spot the rest of the cruise and it hadn't happened on other cruises, but it CAN. The people in the next cabin were quite concerned.

When my (now ex-) wife was in the hospital, a reading lamp got pushed down onto the pillow she had her head on and the pillow began smoldering. Even worse, she was on oxygen at the time. So I'm very cautious about things that CAN can alarms and even fires.

SFJ

yankee canles also have the flat scented cardboard fragrances that you could use in the cabin. they smell great and take up no space.

I always bring a Yankee plug in. Seaside Holiday fragrance is my cruise smell. I can close my eyes while smelling it and cruise in my mind anytime I want.

.........But then a lighter or a match is dangerous by itself. Both have only one purpose - to create a fire.

Huh? Your statement is erroneous, of course, as they do serve more than one purpose. I don't use a lighter to start a fire - only my cigarettes.:rolleyes:

Call me paranoid, but I won't even burn candles in my home. I just know of too many fires caused by candles. Between my cats who jump up and my family who has been known to be klutzy (including me:), I just don't feel comfortable with burning candles. When the power goes out we use flashlights and those great little dome pushlights. I love those even when the power isn't out! Not too romantic, I admit...but they won't light my house on fire! :D

it might be a stupid question, but its something i need to know before i go spend the money for an added touch of romance. please no flames! haha! :)

.........But then a lighter or a match is dangerous by itself. Both have only one purpose - to create a fire.

Huh? Your statement is erroneous, of course, as they do serve more than one purpose. I don't use a lighter to start a fire - only my cigarettes.:rolleyes:

Which you do by creating a fire. Granted it is a little one, but it is a fire nonetheless. The fire I was referring to is the one at the end of the match, or the top of the lighter.

Use logic, please. You're really picking peas here.

Lighters were invented/designed for the sole purpose of lighting cigarettes. A lighter flame goes out immediately after you release your thumb - true, matches are different.

But don't keep on exaggerating. It's a moot point.

Some of you must have left your common sense somewhere on a cruise, I hope i'm not cruising when you do . ONE LIFE GUARD DRILL IS ALL I NEED ON A CRUISE. They tell you not to do thing for a reason. Electrical systems are not made to overload and live fire is not needed.

Archived