If Cozumel is not tourist-worthy.......

QTBabyNurse

THe weather channel depends on ratings to insure the advertising dollars are kept up.

Therefore they tend to sensationize everything.

From NOAA.gov, Weather.gov, Intellicast, wundergroundweather etc, the storm surge should be relatively minor.

Yes they are expecting higher seas and waves, yes they are getting devastating winds as we speak, yes the 24-48 hours of horrendous rain will cause numerous problems, but the title wave type of storm surge that wiped out Miss and NOLA, shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck to everyone in Wilmas path.

Reading on the news that Cozemel was hammered. Guess there will be more itinerary changes, if there is anywhere left Western to go:eek: .

Sad to hear. There is (was??) a really nice pier in Cozemel. I bet the whole new villiage there is a mess. No telling how long it will take to get it all cleaned up.

This has been a tough season for cruising.......

Sadly, the hammering has only just begun... they are due to be hammered for nearly the rest of the weekend :(

Colette! I forgot Corina was out there!!! Thanks for the update! With everything going on this week, it slipped my mind! I hope she is having a good time and enjoying good weather :o

The 27 foot seas were reported from a buoy. So no telling where that was at.... storm surge flooding expected to be 7-11 feet above normal tide levels...

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH... 225 KM/HR... WITH HIGHER GUSTS. WILMA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE WILMA MAKES LANDFALL ON THE NORTHEASTERN COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES... 140 KM... FROM THE CENTER... AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES... 325 KM. NOAA BUOY 42056 RECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 56 MPH... 91 KM/HR... AND 27 FOOT SEAS.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 926 MB...27.34 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 7 TO 11 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE

LEVELS... ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES... CAN BE

EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE NORTH OF THE CENTER ALONG ON THE

NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA.

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH

SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...

WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE. OUTER RAINBANDS WILL

CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA... ESPECIALLY THE

KEYS... WITH SOME 2 TO 4 INCH RAINS POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY.

NOAA BUOY 42003 IN THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO INDICATES THAT LARGE

SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE EASTERN

GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE

NORTHERN GULF COAST TODAY.

We're cruising on the Valor 12/11 and I'm wondering if it's possible the ship will be docking in Ocho Rios, Jamiaca instead of Cozumel? It's right near Grand Cayman so it wouldn't be too far and Carnival already has a dock there. I'm hoping we go there instead of Progresso, I haven't heard many good things about Progresso.

We're cruising on the Valor 12/11 and I'm wondering if it's possible the ship will be docking in Ocho Rios, Jamiaca instead of Cozumel? I'm hoping we go there instead of Progresso, I haven't heard many good things about Progresso.
Personally, I would much rather a stop in Progresso than any port in Jamaica. In fact, I wouldn't choose a cruise that stops in Jamaica.

We sailed on RCI in January, and stopped in Grand Cayman, which had been devastated by Ivan recently. The port was "iffy" when we booked, but did open. It was a very sad sight. Most trees down, many roofs still tarped over, and it just didn't look like paradise. Best advice I can give, is look to the beaches. We focused on the water and went to Stingray City for example. It will be a sad sight, if the port is open. No way around that. Getting the supplies to them, getting the skilled labor, these are very real challenges down there. Sometimes the cruise lines will add a different stop or a day at sea too.

I would not let it stop you.

Beth

I know that we will probably divert from Coz at this point, but I am curious what RCCL will do..another sea day or another port? Either way, my thoughts and prayers are with all those in Cozumel. I will miss visiting this beautiful place. :(

Personally, I would much rather a stop in Progresso than any port in Jamaica. In fact, I wouldn't choose a cruise that stops in Jamaica.
I'll drink to that, Bruce-R. Jamaica is a waste of a good day and I will never understand why the ships continue to stop there. I like to walk around the ports and see how the real people live. In Jamaica you are assaulted by vendors, drug dealers and riff-raff. It is not a place to wander around alone, so if you go there always book a tour. The tour companies will keep the low-lifes at bay. In Progreso you are assaulted by vendors and poor people. AT least I feel safe in Progreso, and people, I don't scare easily.

I know that we will probably divert from Coz at this point, but I am curious what RCCL will do..another sea day or another port? Either way, my thoughts and prayers are with all those in Cozumel. I will miss visiting this beautiful place. :(
Hola imatarb,

Good luck on getting any info out of RCCL. I waited for a month to find out what was happening to our cruise out of NOLA. We finally canceled and rebooked with Carnival. THEN RCCL announced that our cruise was moved to Tampa. Their PR leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't really care where they divert us to at this point. I'd happily take a day at sea or another port of call.

Actually, we had a wonderful time in Ocho Rios last year with our tour guide Phil. He was so great. We learned about a bit of Jamaican culture, and we hit the highlights of Dunn's River Falls, along with Phil's own private falls (which were MUCH better IMHO). We would definitely go back and sightsee again with Phil. I agree with other posters, that I wouldn't do Ocho Rios on my own, though.

We went to Dunns River Falls in Jamaica & it was the best excursion we've been on! Had a great day & the locals were so nice. Like anywhere else, you have to be selective about venturing out on your own, but have been there twice & had a great time.

Any stop would be better than another day at sea!

We are scheduled to be in Cozumel November 24 - 25 on the Radisson Voyager. I heard yesterday from my travel agent that Radisson said they will make no itinerary changes due to Hurricane Wilma. Looks like we will be going to Key West, Cozumel and Grand Cayman over Thanksgiving week. Since Voyager is not a regular year round cruiser in the Caribbean, I would think if they are going to Cozumel, the cruise lines that regularly go would be going also. There is a push to be ready for cruise ships by November 15th, I believe. May have to tender in if the docks are not repaired/replaced in time.

Adelle

Archived