Dyea Dave Excursions

mom02

We are looking for advice on tipping for a Dyea Dave tour we are taking next week. We are scheduled for the Emerald Lake tour .... Just looking for what people leave for a tip. Our Princess literature suggests $5 per person for a guided tour. Seems a little low to me

On our tour, the driver was the tour guide also, Renee, and as she gave us great commentary, made sure we all got the photos we wanted and even brought us some lupin seeds from her garden, I tipped her $10 as I was travelling solo. But I am not accustomed to tipping where I come from, other than in restaurants, so unsure what is appropriate... But I figured the tour cost $79 so 10% would be $8, she got the dollar change plus $10 so I figured that would be appropriate :)

I read somewhere on here that $5 for a half day and $10 for a full day, so that was the guidance I used also.

Edited by Daffodil17

I was just starting to think about tips! I would love to hear what people have done on Dave's tours to get an idea. We are a party of 3, I was thinking either $40 or $50. :confused:

You'll get multiple ranges, but I've tipped those amounts you list, for 2 people.

Just did this tour last week. We booked the Emerald Lake tour with the return on the train from Fraser. Kathy met us right as we got off Crown Princess at 7:45am, just as stated in the email. She had a sign, so easy to find. She then took us directly to the train station to pick up the tickets, I had previously purchased for the return trip from Fraser. We then met up with our driver/guide Renae. She was fantastic. We lucked out in that there were 3 in our party plus one other couple = 5 total with an entire minibus. We all had window seats and could spread out. The other Dyea Dave tour was a large group of Asians that filled their minibus.

Renae asked if we were up for a easy hike to a waterfall (I think she sized up the group to see if we were physically able, before asking.). We were first to the cemetery and took the 5 minute hike to the waterfall. We were "ahead" of the large groups and had the place to ourselves.

She took us to an overlook, where we got photos of the cruise ships docked. We then started on our way to Carcross, stopping numerous times (10-15 times). She was willing to stop wherever you wanted. We stopped at: numerous scenic pullouts, all the "Welcome to ___" signs, waterfalls, bears sightings, etc. She happily took group photos for us. She clearly loves nature.

Once we arrived in Carcross she drove us around for a quick tour and took us to the bakery for lunch. Lunch was about $15 for soup and sandwich. We had an hour to explore on our own.

After lunch we drove to Emerald Lake for photos and started the return trip.

Upon arriving at Fraser she walked us to the train. The car we were assigned was near the back and only had half the people than the other cars had. The workers were in our car giving the "commentary" heard in all the other cars, so we could ask additional questions in between the commentary.

Once we were back in town, we were met by Kathy and provided a ride back to the cruise ship.

This was a fantastic tour. The views are different from the road and train, so I would recommend the train for the return trip.

I'll be doing this tour in a few weeks. How much was the train ride back? I'm trying to decide whether to hop on the train or take the van back.

Thanks,

Lisa

Just did this tour last week. We booked the Emerald Lake tour with the return on the train from Fraser. Kathy met us right as we got off Crown Princess at 7:45am, just as stated in the email. She had a sign, so easy to find. She then took us directly to the train station to pick up the tickets, I had previously purchased for the return trip from Fraser. We then met up with our driver/guide Renae. She was fantastic. We lucked out in that there were 3 in our party plus one other couple = 5 total with an entire minibus. We all had window seats and could spread out. The other Dyea Dave tour was a large group of Asians that filled their minibus.

Renae asked if we were up for a easy hike to a waterfall (I think she sized up the group to see if we were physically able, before asking.). We were first to the cemetery and took the 5 minute hike to the waterfall. We were "ahead" of the large groups and had the place to ourselves.

She took us to an overlook, where we got photos of the cruise ships docked. We then started on our way to Carcross, stopping numerous times (10-15 times). She was willing to stop wherever you wanted. We stopped at: numerous scenic pullouts, all the "Welcome to ___" signs, waterfalls, bears sightings, etc. She happily took group photos for us. She clearly loves nature.

Once we arrived in Carcross she drove us around for a quick tour and took us to the bakery for lunch. Lunch was about $15 for soup and sandwich. We had an hour to explore on our own.

After lunch we drove to Emerald Lake for photos and started the return trip.

Upon arriving at Fraser she walked us to the train. The car we were assigned was near the back and only had half the people than the other cars had. The workers were in our car giving the "commentary" heard in all the other cars, so we could ask additional questions in between the commentary.

Once we were back in town, we were met by Kathy and provided a ride back to the cruise ship.

This was a fantastic tour. The views are different from the road and train, so I would recommend the train for the return trip.

I'll be doing this tour in a few weeks. How much was the train ride back? I'm trying to decide whether to hop on the train or take the van back.

Thanks,

Lisa

It appears to be $84 per person. I did this ride the 2nd week of May - there was still plenty of snow and frozen lakes. Very nice! Dave dropped us off at the train in Frasier then picked us up in Skagway for a ride back to the ship.

We are looking forward to our first trip with Dyea Dave's tour group in August for the

Emerald Lake tour. It looks like (from the train's website anyway) the train does not run

on Mondays, which is the day we are in Skagway. But that's OK, taking the bus back to

Skagway is fine also I am sure.

Edited by island lady

We are looking forward to our first trip with Dyea Dave's tour group in August for the

Emerald Lake tour. It looks like (from the train's website anyway) the train does not run

on Mondays, which is the day we are in Skagway. But that's OK, taking the bus back to

Skagway is fine also I am sure.

You must be looking at the wrong thing. The Skagway/Fraser train runs daily. :confused:

It appears to be $84 per person. I did this ride the 2nd week of May - there was still plenty of snow and frozen lakes. Very nice! Dave dropped us off at the train in Frasier then picked us up in Skagway for a ride back to the ship.

Is that Canadian or US Dollars?

Thanks

You must be looking at the wrong thing. The Skagway/Fraser train runs daily. :confused:

You are right. Not having done the Yukon train, I clicked on the one way Carcross

train schedule. My bad!

Though I am thinking we would just rather stay on the tour bus anyway, since we

get back a bit earlier. Will be getting our train fix on the round trip Anchorage to

Seward anyway. ;)

I am another satisfied Dyea Dave customer. Mom and I took the Summit and Beyond tour in May. Renee was our driver and guide. It was like a great visit with an old friend. We booked as a group tour, but it turned out being just Mom and me. We stopped many beautiful places for photos. Renee explained a lot about the town, flora, and fauna. The highlight of the trip was watching a young bear graze on dandelions.

One other note: Mom is 85 with some mobility issues. Renee was very patient and careful helping Mom in and out of the van.

Vicki

• 4 weeks later...

We thoroughly enjoyed our Lake Bennett excursion in Skagway with Dyea Dave tours! We were picked up as promised and were taken around to see all the sights. Unfortunately there was a major holdup at one of the border crossings so our time was shortened by about 45 minutes ...no time to see the Gold Rush Cemetery, however, our guide offered to call Dave as she said he'd love to take us there personally. We gently declined as we didn't want to inconvenience him. Maybe next time. Overall, we would highly recommend this tour company and wouldn't hesitate to take another tour with them again.

We are booked with Dyea Dave in a few weeks and have been loving all the wonderful reviews here. We have a group of 11 booked and had to send in a deposit. Perhaps this is because we have booked an entire van (taking the train down, though)? I'm not too worried, just found it funny that no one else had to send in a deposit. :)

We are booked with Dyea Dave in a few weeks and have been loving all the wonderful reviews here. We have a group of 11 booked and had to send in a deposit. Perhaps this is because we have booked an entire van (taking the train down, though)? I'm not too worried, just found it funny that no one else had to send in a deposit. :)

Dyea Dave charges deposits for groups of six or more according to their website. Their tour looks great and they are very helpful when replying to questions I've sent them

Oh my goodness, this may be just what I am looking for...the ride up and the train down.

There will be 4 of us cruising next May including my elderly mother and aunt. Both have mobility issues...especially my aunt.

How long is the van ride to Emerald Lake, Carcross, etc.? Not sure if my mom and aunt can be on the road long without a bathroom stop. Do the drivers narrate the whole time? And finally, has anyone had any issues with motion sickness as you move through the mountains with the winding highways?

Thank you all for suggesting this tour! Last time, my husband and I took the train both up and down. Found it fun going up, but repetitive going back down. This is nice to see something different.

Oh my goodness, this may be just what I am looking for...the ride up and the train down.

There will be 4 of us cruising next May including my elderly mother and aunt. Both have mobility issues...especially my aunt.

How long is the van ride to Emerald Lake, Carcross, etc.? Not sure if my mom and aunt can be on the road long without a bathroom stop. Do the drivers narrate the whole time? And finally, has anyone had any issues with motion sickness as you move through the mountains with the winding highways?

Thank you all for suggesting this tour! Last time, my husband and I took the train both up and down. Found it fun going up, but repetitive going back down. This is nice to see something different.

With stops its around 3 hours to Emerald Lake. There is an outhouse rest stop about half way. But they do stop at the train depot- right before leaving. There are bathrooms in Carcross.

It isn't nonstop talking, but your narration is through and informative. Usually very little narration on the return, since you are just returning on the same road. You would be dropped right at the Fraser depot, if you add on the train. That is fully narrated.

No "winding" highways. They are basically straight and expansive. There are only a few wide curves.

With stops its around 3 hours to Emerald Lake. There is an outhouse rest stop about half way. But they do stop at the train depot- right before leaving. There are bathrooms in Carcross.

It isn't nonstop talking, but your narration is through and informative. Usually very little narration on the return, since you are just returning on the same road. You would be dropped right at the Fraser depot, if you add on the train. That is fully narrated.

No "winding" highways. They are basically straight and expansive. There are only a few wide curves.

Thank you Budget Queen for all this info...very much appreciated!

When we took the train up and back...I believe we only went to Frazier or not even that far before going back..there was a lot of narration going out but none really coming back. Will this be the case if we get on the train at Carcross? Will it be a quiet ride back or will it be fully narrated? Thanks for your continued help...

Edited by mickeysgal