Want the scoop on TSA delays?

FlyerTalker

Can we please, please implement Flytalker's item about only allowing carry ons that you can sprint with? Every time I travel, I see way too many people, mostly women, carrying on piano cases that they can't lift into the overhead bins.

One of my complaints about the "Disney bags" is that they are open topped. And as such, they can't be positioned like a closed bag can. My carryons can be shifted 360 in any direction because they are sealed. Shopping bags inherently take up more room because they can't be turned over.

Then again, perhaps they should be. It would, after all, convey a message. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Finally the shoe is on the other foot. Personally I am all for profile based security. People behaving in unusual or overly nervous manners, people who have traveled to suspect regions. Require anyone who flies to use a passport to do so in order to track their movements, and tie all of our LEO data systems together to make it much harder to slip under the radar. Propper algorithm coding can pick up on patterns that would clear suspicions or raise eyebrows in a split second without depending on humans, but then allow a human who has been highly trained to ask a couple of questions to determine if someone needs additional screening or not.

Profile based security in the US would have prevented September 11th. Paying cash for first class tickets should have been red flag number one.

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Do you have any idea how many reasons there might be for people appearing to be nervous or acting unusually at an airport? These are what informed security professionals call nuisance alarms and they far outweigh actual attacks. And, by itself, there is nothing illegal or suspicious about paying cash for a ticket. And even if there were, it can't be investigated/proven in time to stop an event.

As noted in another post, the US isn't Israel, so just because they can make it work doesn't mean we can. Software isn't the answer--too many variables we don't understand. And those "highly trained" humans you want to use don't exist. Lots of science has proven that humans are terrible at assessing a situation, maybe a little better at interpreting accurate information presented to them in a rational way. Not like at airports or places that use tons of cameras reporting to TV monitors with humans staring at them. Why do you think so many tests of the screening points reveal that weapons or other items go undetected?

Please go back to your day job and stop designing security systems.

ML

TSA mean twenty standing around. That is the number of inspectors they had for a Friday Zoofest at EWR C terminal.

Pre Check Lane closed. Normal Center group (near C100) was closed as was the Premier lane. Only thing open with no more than twenty agents and three machines was the one on the far right with all the construction.

Took 45 minutes to clear and missed my domestic flight to PBI. Spent the night at the luxurious Ramada EWR :(

MCO is not a business-intensive airport. So if it's a mess on a Monday morning, one can reasonably extrapolate that it's even worse on a weekend, with vacation travelers and higher volumes. Add in the mess that comes from Disney shopping bags and those mini-rollers that kids carry and car seats and....

Even TSA precheck can be an issue. Still keep my Clear member ship to bypass the queue. Just mean take laptops out..

Edited by PaulMCO